Island Lake Badlands

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Island Lake Badlands

Postby bender16v » May 13th, 2018, 10:51 am

I can't seem to find a map of the area that has been leased to the mining company but I'm guessing this will limit riding in the Badlands: https://www.michigan.gov/som/0,4669,7-1 ... --,00.html
The 10-year lease will allow removal of 10 million tons of aggregate from the Island Lake area which will be restored later. And the DNR also will acquire a gift of an approximately 155-acre land parcel that will expand the footprint of Pinckney Recreation Area in Washtenaw County.
bender16v

Re: Island Lake Badlands

Postby jthomp » May 13th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Boo. This will eliminate the only winter fatbike guarantee.
Life BYGG is all there is.
jthomp

Postby ej132 » May 14th, 2018, 1:39 pm

This is a sin. Being done under the claim of restoring nature, but if you leave nature it will be restored, as it has been. this area is great for biking, hiking, bird watching, snowmobiling, etc. Its either a park for maintaining nature or its a for profit land the dnr is selling land use to.
ej132

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 14th, 2018, 6:40 pm

Seems sand is a very hot commodity worldwide nowadays: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... ever-heard

Many other articles out there on this. I’ve been riding the Badlands on fat bikes for over ten years now. Really bummed to see this go. I hope Silverlake doesn’t ever end up like this.
Steve_Balogh

Postby punkrkr27 » May 15th, 2018, 8:19 am

bender16v wrote:And the DNR also will acquire a gift of an approximately 155-acre land parcel that will expand the footprint of Pinckney Recreation Area in Washtenaw County.

I seem to recall several years ago hearing something about this. I believe the concession was to give up the badlads area and allow mining again in trade for the above mentioned land, which is now used as part of the DTE trail. I could be wrong, but if that's the case I'd say it was probably worth it.
RACING GREYHOUNDS
----------------------------------------
'18 Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 1
'14 Fuji Cross 4.0
'15 Framed Minnesota 3.0
'17 Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc
punkrkr27

Return to General