Biking on ORV trails?

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Re: Biking on ORV trails?

Postby c0nsumer » December 5th, 2018, 6:06 pm

b_b wrote:Poor emtbs not allowed anywhere!

Surfaced paths, roads... And on any single track that wants to allow them.

I'm genuinely expecting -- and would strongly support -- the development of an eMTB-friendly trail.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby RMXByker » December 5th, 2018, 9:51 pm

Awesome. Much appreciated to have someone actually be able to inform us all using sound examples and legal clarity. Thank you very much Ward. Very good to know this information.
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2015 Specialized S-Works Epic World Cup
RMXByker

Postby KLydesdale » December 6th, 2018, 8:47 am

c0nsumer wrote:My understanding is that bicycles are considered vehicles, and can't legally be licensed as ORVs, therefore they are not allowed on the trails (which are restricted to licensed vehicles). Skiing, hiking, etc is all foot/pedestrian traffic.

But bicycles are not considered vehicles according to Michigan Vehicle Code because they are human powered.
KLydesdale

Postby KLydesdale » December 6th, 2018, 1:10 pm

b_b wrote:Ebike is actually a great question.
Are they a "motor-vehicle"?
If yes then I'd say good to go!

MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.33 "Motor vehicle" defined.

Sec. 33.

"Motor vehicle" means every vehicle that is self-propelled, but for purposes of chapter 4 of this act motor vehicle does not include industrial equipment such as a forklift, a front-end loader, or other construction equipment that is not subject to registration under this act. Motor vehicle does not include an electric patrol vehicle being operated in compliance with the electric patrol vehicle act, 1997 PA 55, MCL 257.1571 to 257.1577. Motor vehicle does not include an electric personal assistive mobility device. Motor vehicle does not include an electric carriage. Motor vehicle does not include a commercial quadricycle. Motor vehicle does not include an electric bicycle. Motor vehicle does not include an electric skateboard.
KLydesdale

Postby b_b » December 6th, 2018, 1:37 pm

Ha looks like e-bike exclusion was added this year?
257.33 Motor Vehicle
Act 139 (e-bikes) 2018
b_b

Postby c0nsumer » December 6th, 2018, 1:58 pm

KLydesdale wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:My understanding is that bicycles are considered vehicles, and can't legally be licensed as ORVs, therefore they are not allowed on the trails (which are restricted to licensed vehicles). Skiing, hiking, etc is all foot/pedestrian traffic.

But bicycles are not considered vehicles according to Michigan Vehicle Code because they are human powered.

I apologize for the confusion, what I meant is they are considered "wheeled vehicles" per the Michigan DNR.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby b_b » December 6th, 2018, 2:37 pm

So an E-bike is not a "motor vehicle" nor a "wheeled vehicle" and a bike is a "vehicle" while an e-bike is not. :mrgreen:
b_b

Postby Critter7r » December 6th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Well, that clears things right up.

not
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby Roy » December 7th, 2018, 8:28 am

There roads and there are roads, It depends on the meaning of roads.
If all the above discussion is confusing just add the extra layer of regulations on National Forest "roads".
There are roads In the NFs you can drive a car and not 4 wheeler and visa versa.
The whole state of Michigan was logged out again and again. The state is now left with a network of old logging roads. Even after these logging roads have been long over grown the road base is still there and can be reopened anytime.
But the state (Mi. & US ) feels the need to manage our use of this huge network. Sure, there are environmental reasons for some of the rules, but how can any bike do more environmental damage then a 100 HP 4 wheeler?
Maybe the political power of the user groups has set most of the rules.
If you want to open up this huge resource to human power, then you will need a much stronger lobby.

Roy

Postby Steve_Balogh » December 8th, 2018, 9:13 am

KLydesdale wrote:

Bicycles are however considered wheeled vehicles under Federal Code. I found this out the hard way having been issued a written warning for riding my fat bike on a beach. Further discussion with IMBA I discovered this Federal Code is what helps us to legally ride bicycles on the road.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Jared13 » December 10th, 2018, 3:32 pm

petehonderd wrote:Has anyone tried riding on Dirt bike trails? I was hunting near some trails in Baldwin area and they looked like they could be tons of fun on a fat bike. I am not sure if this would even be legal or safe. Thanks!!

Legality in Michigan discussion aside, if you are on an ORV trail and hear a dirt bike or four-wheeler, get to the side of the trail immediately. It won't be long until they're flying by you and you can get back on your merry way.
Jared13

Previous

Return to General