Riding with Ostomy Bag?

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Re: Riding with Ostomy Bag?

Postby kyle_vk » March 14th, 2019, 2:08 pm

Thanks wrob! Humor is a powerful medicine IMO, hope you also have a quick and painless recovery and glad i could help with the congestion!
On One 456 Evo II
Norco Sasquatch
kyle_vk

Postby ahopkins1988 » March 19th, 2019, 11:02 am

Awesome to hear that your surgery went well. You will be riding in no time! As I mentioned before let me know if you have any questions. And I agree, amazing shirt. Have to have a good sense of humor for this.
--
Andrew

2011 Trek Mamba 29er, 2003 Trek 4500
ahopkins1988

Postby kyle_vk » April 7th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Checking back in with an update. nearly 4 weeks post-op and i finally made it out to some single track yesterday. I picked Riley Trail as its pretty tame and i didn't want to push it to hard (that and i haven't done much of any physical activity in a month so i'm still way out of shape). I had a blast! Since that ride went well with no pain or "weird" feelings, i decided to hit up Merrell today and it went great, even pushing it slightly harder. I'll still be riding at closer to 75% for a bit since i'm really not in the mood for a hernia, but all things considered i'm pumped. Its crazy that even though i'm still down about 15 lbs from my pre surgery weight (I was already skinny, now i'll blow away in a stiff breeze), and over all weak, i felt better than i would normally feel at the beginning of the season. I'm guessing this is from not having parts of my body play russian roulette with each other. For anyone who may have to go down this road, do yourself a favor an invest in a Stealth Belt ( https://www.stealthbelt.com ). These type of belts make it so that you can have your bag sideways which keeps it above the belt line of your pants and also keeps it from bouncing around. Great for every day wear and much more comfortable for biking, no one can even tell you have a bag. Anyways, thanks to everyone here for the words of support, we've got a good community here! I'm hoping that if the next couple weeks go well i'll do a last minute sign up for Yankee Springs TT (with the goal just being to finish before everyone leaves :P )
On One 456 Evo II
Norco Sasquatch
kyle_vk

Postby asmallsol » April 8th, 2019, 10:25 am

Hi Kyle. I had a bad uc flair last year that resulted in getting an illiostomy. I wrote about it here ...

https://www.teamathleticmentors.com/tea ... 5-cycling/

Go to the bottom and you'll see latest news and there's a three part blog about my journey. Overall, it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I finished the festive 500 this year, got 2nd in my age group at Iceman and 51st in wave 1, so riding isn't an issue. The one thing I found was my bib strap was over my stoma and kind if blocked flow so I 3d printed a stoma dome (15 bucks vs 50)

I actually just got mine reversed to a j pouch Friday. Right now I'm sore but hanging in there.

If you want to talk more, hit me up on Facebook. Another great resource is a Facebook group called ostomy lifestyle athletes.
-Collin Snyder
Athletic Mentors/ GREENWARE USA - ELITE CYCLING
http://www.athleticmentors.com/
http://www.giant-bicycles.com
Single speeder and roadie
asmallsol

Postby kyle_vk » April 8th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Collin,

Thanks for the link, its encouraging seeing someone persevere through the exact scenario i'm working through (though fortunately i didn't have the surgical complications you had). Congrats on your accomplishments so far and i hope the J-pouch surgery works well for you. My lab results after surgery showed more of UC than crohn's so i may be a candidate for it as well. I'll cross that bridge when i get there but keep me updated on how you feel with it. I'm hesitant from reading about pouchitis but no bag makes it a tempting option.
On One 456 Evo II
Norco Sasquatch
kyle_vk

Postby kyle_vk » April 28th, 2019, 7:44 am

6 weeks post op and and I completed my first xc race of the year and second singletrack race ever. I did the same race last year (Yankee springs time trial), and I beat that time by 1 minute. reverse direction and different bike this year but I'm still pumped. Placed 21st in the fat bike sport class which was better than expected. Hope everyone else got to get out and enjoy some trail this weekend! ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
On One 456 Evo II
Norco Sasquatch
kyle_vk

Previous

Return to General