New MDNR Land Use Orders Pertaining to Mountain Biking

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

New MDNR Land Use Orders Pertaining to Mountain Biking

Postby jajones » May 15th, 2019, 11:18 am

Last week was a great week for mountain bike trails advocacy in Michigan as the MDNR Natural Resources Commission approved/passed two new Director's Land Use Orders that will give clear enforcement authority to Park Rangers and Conservation Officers to cite and ticket those mountain bikers who choose to disobey trail closures (i.e. such as trail closures during spring thaw), or, ride an ebike on what most of us know as "mountain bike trails". The new order only applies to trails in Michigan State Park and Recreation Areas.

Yes, I worked on this. Yes, I understand certain people will be supportive of it, while others will not. But, here's the thing - none of it would have been necessary if individual riders would have "done the right thing" in the first place. I worked to get these changes because when trail closures (erosive condtions/ebikes) were posted, you'd get a minority of riders who decided that the closures really weren't "official closures", or, that "the DNR can't do anything about it anyhow". To those folks, I'll say when you get your first $500 ticket for riding a trail closed to erosive conditions next spring, or, an ebike on a trail, go ahead and send me that email about how "the MDNR can't do anything" and "this is public land and you can't keep me off it". Protection of the resource should always come before personal agendas!

Next step is working with the MDNR to educate Land Managers and Law Enforcement on when trail closures are necessary and on enforcement patrols.

In closing, I'd like to thank all those riders who inspired this change. You know who you are!

New Land Use Orders (in CAPS/BOLD):

Order 5.1 State parks and recreation areas, certain conduct prohibited.
Order 5.1 A person shall not do any of the following in any SP or recreation areas:
(1) Have more than 1 horse for each registered camper at any designated horsemen’s campground without first
obtaining proper written permission from the department.
(2) ENTER, USE OR OCCUPY A DESIGNATED MOUNTAIN BIKE TRAIL WHEN POSTED CLOSED
EXCEPT WITH WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM AN AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE OF THE
DEPARTMENT.
(2) OPERATE AN ELECTRIC BIKE IN CONFLICT WITH MCL 324.72105.
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)
Advocacy Committee, Michigan Mountain Biking Association (MMBA)
jajones

Re: New MDNR Land Use Orders Pertaining to Mountain Biking

Postby Hudnut » May 15th, 2019, 11:47 am

nice work!
Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
Hudnut

Postby Paul Brown » May 15th, 2019, 2:36 pm

:icon_cheers:
many thanks
Paul Brown

Postby 2Old2BFast » May 15th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Thank you.
2Old2BFast

Postby ReidRules18 » May 15th, 2019, 6:57 pm

I don’t always reply to your posts, but I greatly appreciate your efforts.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby jajones » May 15th, 2019, 8:43 pm

Thanks for the thanks, but I'm just trying to keep the trails plentiful, accessible and in good shape!
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)
jajones

Postby Roy » May 16th, 2019, 7:25 am

Great work, Jason, but as you said the "next step".
The next step is the difficult part. Getting any trail inspected and either closed/open every day is near impossible. "Back in the day" Island Lake would close the trail for conditions, but when they failed open it after it was dry, the bikers just stopped paying any attention to the sign. And of course the park had no enforcement.
Jason, this sounds great, but it could backfire in a big way. I really hope it does not backfire on Mountain Biking. But Politicians and Bureaucrats being what they are, I don't expect much good. The pessimistic view, this law will be used to infringe rights and harass Mountain Bikers and not used to protect the trails.
On the positive side, you have a strong voice and will work to get a fair application of this law. Dare I ask you to draft Todd Scott in this effort?
Probably not, but he also has a strong voice for advocacy. The "next step" is going to require as many strong Voices as can be mustered.

Thanks for your never ending advocacy.
Despite my pessimism, I really hope this bill has a good result.

Roy
Roy

Postby Synack42 » May 16th, 2019, 7:47 am

Roy wrote:Great work, Jason, but as you said the "next step".
The next step is the difficult part. Getting any trail inspected and either closed/open every day is near impossible. "Back in the day" Island Lake would close the trail for conditions, but when they failed open it after it was dry, the bikers just stopped paying any attention to the sign. And of course the park had no enforcement.
Jason, this sounds great, but it could backfire in a big way. I really hope it does not backfire on Mountain Biking. But Politicians and Bureaucrats being what they are, I don't expect much good. The pessimistic view, this law will be used to infringe rights and harass Mountain Bikers and not used to protect the trails.
On the positive side, you have a strong voice and will work to get a fair application of this law. Dare I ask you to draft Todd Scott in this effort?
Probably not, but he also has a strong voice for advocacy. The "next step" is going to require as many strong Voices as can be mustered.

Thanks for your never ending advocacy.
Despite my pessimism, I really hope this bill has a good result.

Roy

I don't have a horse in this race, as I'm a complete newbie still -- haven't even ridden in a state park yet. I have the same pessimistic view though, suppose it's the libertarian side of me, just leery of more government rules and regulations in general. Closing trails and forgetting to reopen, new riders getting ticketed if they accidentally enter outside of an official trailhead or even just using the new regs as a MTB equivalent of speed trap for $500 a pop.

jajones, I appreciate your efforts and I agree with the concerns regarding trail erosion and ebike damage. Hopefully the new regs are applied fairly and there isn't any negative fallout.
Synack42

Postby DynoDon » May 16th, 2019, 8:37 am

Your work on the trails and the issues is appreciated,,, It was great ro see you on your bike the other day...Happy Trails
We don't die from playing with bikes,
We die when we stop playing with bikes...
DynoDon

Postby flamingo » May 16th, 2019, 9:47 am

The pessimistic view of me says. People will not give a crap and they will ride the trails even if they are closed just like the e-bikers do.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby jajones » May 16th, 2019, 9:53 am

We're going to work with MDNR to ensure proper implementation. Land managers should be working with local mountain bike advocacy groups regarding input on whether a trail should be open or closed due to erosive conditions. The advocacy groups should be taking the lead and telling Land Managers if they believe a trail should be closed. Also, this is mainly geared at spring thaw season. I don't think anyone is thinking this will be used to close a trail outside of spring after a day of rain.
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
jajones

Postby Storz » 48 minutes ago

Hudnut wrote:nice work!

Should be easy pickings out at Pontiac with the magic-E-bike duo that fly through it all the time
Ellsworth Evolve SST.2
Storz

Return to General