Island Lake race. 6/8

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Re: Island Lake race. 6/8

Postby mmba7349 » June 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Roy wrote:Was there a park ranger telling you not to use the trail head parking lot?
Was there DNR signs closing the trail to non-racers?
If not,
you had every right to ride that trail and park in that lot.
You were probably bullied by an event organizer that was not organized.
He did not tell you to not ride the trail, because he had no authority to do so.
Do not feel bad, you did nothing wrong.

Roy

You are taking some pretty big leaps to bad mouth a promoter. Now the OP was bullied and the event was not well organized? But this is the internet where facts are secondary to jumping to conclusions and rational thinking.
mmba7349

Postby Golden Ghost » June 11th, 2019, 8:26 pm

There was no ranger at the trailhead. And there was no sign saying the trail was closed.
However I did get the comment
"you shouldn't be on this trail"
from quite a few riders. It kind of *beep* me off because I thought I had a right to ride. But I bailed halfway anyway to avoid an accident
If you chum they will come.
Golden Ghost

Postby c0nsumer » June 11th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Golden Ghost wrote:There was no ranger at the trailhead. And there was no sign saying the trail was closed.
However I did get the comment
"you shouldn't be on this trail"
from quite a few riders. It kind of *beep* me off because I thought I had a right to ride. But I bailed halfway anyway to avoid an accident

Have you contacted the DNR to express this concern to them? It'll likely get you a lot of traction vs. posting here on the forum. Only a small subset of riders read this forum.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby ihateplaindave » June 12th, 2019, 9:05 am

A lot of racers don't realize that they are not racing on a closed course. the comments may have been from ignorance not meanness.
ihateplaindave

Postby Paul Brown » June 12th, 2019, 1:41 pm

I got to the trail head and realized there was a race. Kind of hard not to realize that, but I digress, I'm sure it was hard for many to figure out (as I'm sure I'll hear).
Since it was 9:00 I knew I had time for a full. Then after that I figured I'd stay off Yellow until the last Elite/experts came thru for their last lap. Then Yellow was fair game until 12:30, which was when the other waves were scheduled to start. Just had to ask a couple of guys with number plates to get the schedule and trail use details. Blue was open all day (as the racer(s) I queried informed me). Only had to share the short section of two-way which was easy because the racers were going uphill. Giving them a wide birth was easy. Not sure what the big deal here is. Just a couple of easy questions, and I was well informed and able to ride plenty of miles without a racer conflict.
Paul Brown

Postby Mr Wonderful » June 12th, 2019, 2:28 pm

mtbfree wrote:From what I understand, they typically do not close trails for racing on state land. I think this has something to do with the laws controlling state parks and state land. While they can tell people there is a race going on and that they should be cautious, they won't close the trail completely to non-racers because they're not allowed to.

Link to DNR policy with non exclusive use

Relevant excerpt:

Use Permit criteria includes:

the duration of the use of State-owned land is one (1) year or less;

no permanent structures or alterations are to be created by the Permittee; and

no exclusive use or occupation of the State-owned land is granted.
Mr Wonderful

Postby Shomegrown » July 1st, 2019, 9:45 am

I rode the beginner race with my 10 year old daughter in the afternoon and was yelled at for being on the course, lol.

That beginner class superstar *beep* is exactly *why* I have to run blocker for my 10 year old daughter so some *beep* like you doesn't run into her with an overly aggressive pass. 3 racers couldn't pass us (I pulled us off the trail when anyone was approaching) without making contact with me. Passing etiquette is severely lacking in the lower level CPS classes.

I encountered at least two non-racers on the course that day. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but they were going the wrong way on a clearly directional trail. They should not be doing that.

To the OP, were you riding the correct direction on the trail? That makes a big difference.
Shomegrown

Postby Steve_Kinley » July 1st, 2019, 10:23 am

rode the beginner race with my 10 year old daughter in the afternoon and was yelled at for being on the course, lol.

That beginner class superstar *beep* is exactly *why* I have to run blocker for my 10 year old daughter so some *beep* like you doesn't run into her with an overly aggressive pass. 3 racers couldn't pass us (I pulled us off the trail when anyone was approaching) without making contact with me. Passing etiquette is severely lacking in the lower level CPS classes.

Bring her out to the MiSCA races this fall where it's 100% kids on the course, except for the elementary classes where some of the adults ride as course marshals.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby mmba7349 » July 1st, 2019, 11:53 am

Shomegrown wrote:I rode the beginner race with my 10 year old daughter in the afternoon and was yelled at for being on the course, lol.

I encountered at least two non-racers on the course that day. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but they were going the wrong way on a clearly directional trail. They should not be doing that.

To the OP, were you riding the correct direction on the trail? That makes a big difference.

The only comment I have on that is welcome to beginner racing. Same thing happened to me at Addison years ago. Had a world beater in beginner swear at my son to hurry up on a hill. I “politely” suggested maybe he should move up to a more advanced class.

And I agree with Steve to do the MISCA races especially for the younger riders to experience a race without the pressure of adults.
mmba7349

Postby Shomegrown » July 2nd, 2019, 7:36 am

Thanks for the helpful comments guys. She has been doing the MISCA races for a few years. This fall probably won't work out as she's also into XC running and swimming, so we need to get our MTB in during the summer. :D

It all worked out, she's tough and not easily scared.

My main point here is that passing/racing etiquette seems to be lacking in the lower classes these days. I've heard stories this year that really make me shake my head. A friend who recently upgraded from beginner to sport said that at Hanson Hills this year, a woman refused to let him pass (after asking nicely) because "she was sport and he was beginner". Being the polite Canadian he is, he soft pedaled behind her for like 10 minutes. :?

Not to humble brag (it's relevant here) but when I race expert or elite class, passing and race etiquette is not a concern at all. I've never had a pass refused, and it's more often than not offered to me before I have to ask. And I try to be quick to offer a pass.

No idea how this issue can be addressed/improved, but it's worth discussing.
Shomegrown

Postby c0nsumer » July 2nd, 2019, 7:44 am

I've been riding and intermittently racing for 10-11 years now, and I've heard and seen these kinds of problems with sport and beginner classes since day one, and heard stories from long before then. And, my experiences in faster categories (open for me -- I don't do expert/elite class races anymore) match what you say: everyone is pretty cool, even when passing happens.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby mtbfree » July 2nd, 2019, 3:49 pm

Passing etiquette should be addressed at every racer's meeting, in the registration packet, and anywhere else that will put it in the front of every racer's mind - maybe even a quick reminder at the starting line. Just to let people know they need to be courteous and let others pass when they're clearly faster, and to try and pass others as carefully and courteously as possible. I also think there should be consequences for bad passes or discourteous behavior (like refusing to let someone pass), but it would be very difficult to enforce since it's not like there are marshals at every single corner of the race course to witness such things. It just turns into a "he said, she said" kind of thing.

As it is, it just takes time for people to learn this stuff, which is why it's much better in the higher classes.
I'm just here to ride...

-'15 Transition Scout
-'15 Trek Session 88
-'04 Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

Previous

Return to General