Island Lake race. 6/8

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Re: Island Lake race. 6/8

Postby mmba7349 » June 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Roy wrote:Was there a park ranger telling you not to use the trail head parking lot?
Was there DNR signs closing the trail to non-racers?
If not,
you had every right to ride that trail and park in that lot.
You were probably bullied by an event organizer that was not organized.
He did not tell you to not ride the trail, because he had no authority to do so.
Do not feel bad, you did nothing wrong.

Roy

You are taking some pretty big leaps to bad mouth a promoter. Now the OP was bullied and the event was not well organized? But this is the internet where facts are secondary to jumping to conclusions and rational thinking.
mmba7349

Postby Golden Ghost » June 11th, 2019, 8:26 pm

There was no ranger at the trailhead. And there was no sign saying the trail was closed.
However I did get the comment
"you shouldn't be on this trail"
from quite a few riders. It kind of *beep* me off because I thought I had a right to ride. But I bailed halfway anyway to avoid an accident
If you chum they will come.
Golden Ghost

Postby c0nsumer » June 11th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Golden Ghost wrote:There was no ranger at the trailhead. And there was no sign saying the trail was closed.
However I did get the comment
"you shouldn't be on this trail"
from quite a few riders. It kind of *beep* me off because I thought I had a right to ride. But I bailed halfway anyway to avoid an accident

Have you contacted the DNR to express this concern to them? It'll likely get you a lot of traction vs. posting here on the forum. Only a small subset of riders read this forum.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby ihateplaindave » June 12th, 2019, 9:05 am

A lot of racers don't realize that they are not racing on a closed course. the comments may have been from ignorance not meanness.
ihateplaindave

Postby Paul Brown » June 12th, 2019, 1:41 pm

I got to the trail head and realized there was a race. Kind of hard not to realize that, but I digress, I'm sure it was hard for many to figure out (as I'm sure I'll hear).
Since it was 9:00 I knew I had time for a full. Then after that I figured I'd stay off Yellow until the last Elite/experts came thru for their last lap. Then Yellow was fair game until 12:30, which was when the other waves were scheduled to start. Just had to ask a couple of guys with number plates to get the schedule and trail use details. Blue was open all day (as the racer(s) I queried informed me). Only had to share the short section of two-way which was easy because the racers were going uphill. Giving them a wide birth was easy. Not sure what the big deal here is. Just a couple of easy questions, and I was well informed and able to ride plenty of miles without a racer conflict.
Paul Brown

Postby Mr Wonderful » June 12th, 2019, 2:28 pm

mtbfree wrote:From what I understand, they typically do not close trails for racing on state land. I think this has something to do with the laws controlling state parks and state land. While they can tell people there is a race going on and that they should be cautious, they won't close the trail completely to non-racers because they're not allowed to.

Link to DNR policy with non exclusive use

Relevant excerpt:

Use Permit criteria includes:

the duration of the use of State-owned land is one (1) year or less;

no permanent structures or alterations are to be created by the Permittee; and

no exclusive use or occupation of the State-owned land is granted.
Mr Wonderful

Previous

Return to General