fatbike drivetrain life?

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

fatbike drivetrain life?

Postby bbender785 » June 21st, 2018, 7:07 am

those that actually do fatbike things with your fatbikes, how many miles are you getting out of your drivetrains? i'm pretty good about keeping things lubed with appropriate lube for conditions and cleaning after real nasty outings, but obviously there's still a lot of grit and grinding that happens when winter and/or sand riding. after breaking a chain at 1400 miles, my first ride on the proper-length replacement has it skipping under load, which tells me it's time for a cassette too. 1400 just seemed low, despite the tough conditions it sees.
RAD
bbender785

Re: fatbike drivetrain life?

Postby c0nsumer » June 21st, 2018, 7:45 am

One thing to keep in mind is that lots of fat bikes are 1x with small chainrings. This leads to more chain and chainring wear, especially when in big cogs, as the chain angle is pretty severe.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Highlander » June 21st, 2018, 3:21 pm

I found out the hard way that 10 & 11 speed chains do not last any where near a 9 speed chain. I think I get 500 less miles. I usually stay with Shimano XT chains, so it's not like its a Sram vs Shimano thing.
Gary
Highlander

Postby b_b » June 22nd, 2018, 10:56 am

Been very happy with life of 1x10 XT cassette, KMC X10SL, RaceFace n/w on regular bike. I like full plated rust resistant chains. I do frequently remove chain and wash, dry, lube (lightly). It's not much trouble with quick link.
b_b

Postby bbender785 » June 22nd, 2018, 12:38 pm

b_b wrote:..I do frequently remove chain and wash, dry, lube (lightly). It's not much trouble with quick link.

same here, that's why i was surprised it needed replaced already. a reputable source told me 500 miles for a chain & 2000 miles for a cassette isn't unheard of for "extreme" conditions. was the original chain, so lesson learned i guess.
RAD
bbender785

Postby bbender785 » January 14th, 2020, 1:01 pm

well, here i am replacing chain and cassette again. getting a terrible skipping when i put the watts down in the smallest three cogs. chain checker drops in at the .75 setting but not the 1.00. new chain makes it worse, so unfortunately this cassette lasted less than 750 miles.
RAD
bbender785

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 17th, 2020, 1:59 am

I do very well with Shimano Deore XT with KMC diamond coat or Wipperman chains. Use Wolftooth on one and Black Spire chainring on the other. I clean the chains and the rear cassette as needed with blue Dawn dish soap. Not sure of the exact mileage, as long as something doesn't get into the rear cassette or deraillure and damage the cassette I can set several thousand miles on them. Likely if you are not getting enough life out of your drivetrain and everything thing is set up as it should, likely you are ignoring the grime on the rear cassette. What looks clean often is not, and the only way you can see it is to remove the cassette and take it apart. I frequenty also use a brass wire brush on the rear deraillure wheels, cassette and chainring typically after every ride or weekend to remove any dirt/gunk
Steve_Balogh

Postby b_b » January 17th, 2020, 7:24 am

I've not had great results swapping chain only and I'm resigned to just changing cassette and chain together since xt cassette is only $50. For more expensive sram 11/12 cassettes I'd rotate a couple chains so they wear in evenly. I think lube can make a difference and I like Dumonde Tech over the Pedros I used previously. The chain stays much cleaner and does not hold grit like Pedros. Also after riding in winter wet conditions I think it's good practice to wipe water off the chain and if possible bring bike inside so it can dry in the heat or you may get some chain rusting.
Last edited by b_b on January 17th, 2020, 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
b_b

Postby bbender785 » January 17th, 2020, 7:28 am

yeah that's why i'm annoyed; i'm borderline OCD about keeping my drivetrain clean. i'm not shy about taking the cassette and chain off and using brake cleaner liberally, dabbing each link patiently with lube again. I use Rock N' Roll, which is generally well regarded, and i've liked how clean it keeps things.

that cassette was a sunrace. installed a shimano unit last night, we'll see how it lasts.
RAD
bbender785

Postby deuxdiesel » January 18th, 2020, 7:45 am

I have had really good success with hot paraffin. When it is hot it not only cleans out the grime on the chain but also flows well into the small spaces. The chains come out looking like new. As far as stretch, Consumer nailed it- low gears with high torque really stretch the chain. Once that happens, it wears out the cassette quickly.
deuxdiesel

Postby DynoDon » January 18th, 2020, 9:58 am

I use Squirt lube, and have had good results with that, but Park Tool came out with a new Wear Check Tool that is made for the newer 11 & 12 speed, (.5/ 50% wear) and the other chains, 5/10 speed chains (.75% wear) also. Park Tool CC-4 tool vid below..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOaFF_4CqJg&vl=en
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Postby c0nsumer » January 18th, 2020, 11:31 am

It's finally a good wear tool from Park. The previous ones would measure roller wear AND overall chain elongation, leading to premature chain replacement. This new one measures just chain elongation (stretch).
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Return to General