Carbon rim advice

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Carbon rim advice

Postby lamarvenoy » November 23rd, 2020, 2:19 pm

I smashed my rear carbon wheel recently. Luckily a neighbor had a loaner to get me through the rest of the riding season. I’m now starting the search for a replacement and am having trouble making up my mind.

Looking to have a new rim laced to my current dt350 rear hub. It’s been a while since I’ve looked at rims and I guess I’m looking for opinions on rim choices. I’m having a hard time justifying a $200+\- rim (shipping included) for a new carbon rim. Are there any decent aluminum rims I should look into or will I be totally disappointed going back to alu after riding carbon for the last 5 years? Are there any places in southeastern Michigan that do a large order from the Chinese carbon rim manufacturers that might have some in stock?

Durability is high on my list since I’m a largish guy (210lbs) and do ride fairly hard so maybe I’m answering my own question.
lamarvenoy

Re: Carbon rim advice

Postby b_b » November 23rd, 2020, 5:31 pm

I'd just get the carbon rim. I think they are more robust. My alloy rims were always all dinged up. You are not saving that much for just one rim and the bike will look better with both carbon. :)
b_b

Re: Carbon rim advice

Postby sheppardjm » November 24th, 2020, 10:27 am

Some craft wheel makers like Boyd offer lifetime warranty (manufacture defects) and $250 crash replacement on all of their carbon rims.

Might be worth looking into a more expensive rim that will last years instead of just one or a couple. My new bike this year came with aluminum 30mm inner width DT Swiss wheels and I flatted and bent the crap out of the rim wall on my very first ride in Marquette. And I'm a lightweight.
sheppardjm

Return to General