NCT

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

NCT

Postby shond100 » June 14th, 2022, 10:19 am

Since there is nothing being talked about on this anymore here's my question: Has anyone tried to lobby for the North Country Trail to be fully open for bikes?

I know many people who just ride it where ever and a) dont care and b) hardly ever run into anyone anyways..

But it would be cool to ride the entire trail without guilt (and also it seems like they would be more maintained too... if that is a good thing?)
shond100

Re: NCT

Postby c0nsumer » June 14th, 2022, 11:04 am

It can't really happen, because the NCT is just an amalgamation of other trails called one greater route. These range from local parks to national forest stuff.

There are sections which are great to bike, some which really aren't good at all (but are open to it), and others which are closed.

Top-down you'd basically have to get the NCTA to require that to be part of the NCT the segments be open to bikes, which won't happen because they are a hiking org that effectively tolerates bikes (if the segments are already open to them) with some chapters actively fighting bikes.

Or you could get each segment owner to ensure their section is open to bikes, which is basically what's already done as local advocacy.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Re: NCT

Postby shond100 » June 14th, 2022, 12:00 pm

Thanks for the explanation, I figured it was more complex than just "petitioning" an organization. Thats a bummer though, but at least we have some good sections to ride!
shond100

Return to General