Michigan Dragon Trail

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Michigan Dragon Trail

Postby DynoDon » April 22nd, 2019, 3:52 am

I just seen this on the Fox 2 News this morning, I'm ready to go ride it, but I may have to wait a few years..

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/michigans ... scale_is_i
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Re: Michigan Dragon Trail

Postby mtnbikinbryno » May 14th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Just saw this, surprised your post hasn't had any replies. I'm excited for this one too!
mtnbikinbryno

Postby cramer » July 22nd, 2019, 9:24 am

The guys have been working hard on this for many years. There were a bunch of different approvals needed before work could begin as well as the high cost. I think the last approval needed was the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission which has now been completed. I "think" this means they are free to begin work now on this trail. Initial funding has been secured I think so hoping building will begin very soon.

This is the info I've seen or gathered talking with people working on it over the years. I'm not involved in any way with this project though so this is all second hand.
cramer

Postby DynoDon » July 22nd, 2019, 10:04 am

cramer wrote:The guys have been working hard on this for many years. There were a bunch of different approvals needed before work could begin as well as the high cost. I think the last approval needed was the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission which has now been completed. I "think" this means they are free to begin work now on this trail. Initial funding has been secured I think so hoping building will begin very soon.

This is the info I've seen or gathered talking with people working on it over the years. I'm not involved in any way with this project though so this is all second hand.

Thanks for the update, its on the other side of the state so I don't see or hear much about the Dragon, but I would like to ride it when its finished, sounds like a great trail..
DynoDon

Postby shond100 » October 8th, 2019, 11:46 am

Looks like they had the official ground- breaking last Friday! Not sure about everyone else.. but I am super excited about this trail

https://wmmba.org/2019/10/07/the-dragon-comes-to-life/
shond100

Postby b_b » October 8th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Sounds great can't wait!
b_b

Postby bbender785 » October 9th, 2019, 7:08 am

it's going to be awesome. i've been riding the locals golf cart trails along the south side for years.
>>>RAD
bbender785

Postby DynoDon » August 19th, 2020, 1:27 pm

Jim Hammer just rode some of this and really liked it, I'll be wait for more of it to drive that far, but I'm looking forward to this one. they have a web site now with plenty of information..

https://www.thedragon.us/?fbclid=IwAR3i ... 1SdkoMDGZo
DynoDon

Postby DynoDon » August 22nd, 2020, 9:40 am

Spectrum Trail Designs, who built DTE trails are building the Dragon, almost 50 miles around the lake, the people I've talked to that have ridden whats there are impressed, I wish it were closer to me, but I'll make the drive when its done, maybe sooner. DTE Energy Trail is 22.5 miles, Poto has 28.5 miles, with the ride to an from DTE/Poto on gravel roads using the northern route of the Triple Trail Challenge, being 70 miles total, southern Michigan is fast becoming a destination trail area.
DynoDon

Postby xcrdr » August 25th, 2020, 9:46 pm

I've made the trip a few times. Riding out and back you can get in over 12 miles. If you cross the *beep* even more. The 2 40ft bridges are being installed but you can hike around them for 2 (4) more miles. I'll be glad when the Brower Loop is connected to the trail. As is, you must pay 2 Park fees if you plan to ride Sandy Beach and Brower. It's worth it in my opinion. So much fun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
1995 Giant ATX 890 with Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Fuse Expert :D

2017 Goal: Ride some
2018 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby deuxdiesel » September 22nd, 2020, 4:47 am

They should just sell the naming rights to the trail. Just think- Consumer's Power Trail. Catchy, huh?
deuxdiesel

Postby DynoDon » November 10th, 2020, 6:54 am

I rode the Dragon Yesterday, its now 11 1/2 miles long, out n back is 23 miles of great views, good ups n downs, some features, it was apperant that the builders of DTE were putting their touch on it, how Flow can you go.. the two way traffic can cause close calls, the weekends will be crazy out there. Ridden as a scenic trail is the safer way to ride it, an the views are great, momentum is important, speed on them blind spots may not be a good idea..lots of hikers, unleashed dogs, quite a few bikes, people were great. 47 miles will be a good day of riding when its done, I hear next year, or the year after. Its gonna get crazy on the weekends..great trail though..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imTybir ... qXUBwR4pvI
DynoDon

Postby bbender785 » November 12th, 2020, 11:26 pm

DynoDon wrote:..47 miles will be a good day of riding when its done, I hear next year, or the year after.

>>>RAD
bbender785

Postby cramer » November 17th, 2020, 11:08 am

DynoDon wrote:I rode the Dragon Yesterday, its now 11 1/2 miles long, out n back is 23 miles of great views, good ups n downs, some features, it was apperant that the builders of DTE were putting their touch on it, how Flow can you go.. the two way traffic can cause close calls, the weekends will be crazy out there. Ridden as a scenic trail is the safer way to ride it, an the views are great, momentum is important, speed on them blind spots may not be a good idea..lots of hikers, unleashed dogs, quite a few bikes, people were great. 47 miles will be a good day of riding when its done, I hear next year, or the year after. Its gonna get crazy on the weekends..great trail though..

Agree we need to be careful with 2 way traffic. I'm a big proponent of putting responsibility of controlling your rig on the rider. Can't blame blind corners. If you can't see far enough ahead to be safe, you need to slow down even though it's less fun. At the same time, I think an effort needs to be made to educate the users as much as possible. With campgrounds connected I've seen a lot of families totally new to the sport out there or people just out hiking the trail, which is GREAT. We need to figure out a way to communicate some basics though. For example, we can be careful around blind corners but to hit the jumps you need speed. Have seen people stopped right behind jumps where you can't see them until you're in the air. :shock: Bad place to hang out.
cramer

Postby Paul Brown » November 17th, 2020, 1:44 pm

cramer wrote:
DynoDon wrote:I rode the Dragon Yesterday, its now 11 1/2 miles long, out n back is 23 miles of great views, good ups n downs, some features, it was apperant that the builders of DTE were putting their touch on it, how Flow can you go.. the two way traffic can cause close calls, the weekends will be crazy out there. Ridden as a scenic trail is the safer way to ride it, an the views are great, momentum is important, speed on them blind spots may not be a good idea..lots of hikers, unleashed dogs, quite a few bikes, people were great. 47 miles will be a good day of riding when its done, I hear next year, or the year after. Its gonna get crazy on the weekends..great trail though..

Agree we need to be careful with 2 way traffic. I'm a big proponent of putting responsibility of controlling your rig on the rider. Can't blame blind corners. If you can't see far enough ahead to be safe, you need to slow down even though it's less fun. At the same time, I think an effort needs to be made to educate the users as much as possible. With campgrounds connected I've seen a lot of families totally new to the sport out there or people just out hiking the trail, which is GREAT. We need to figure out a way to communicate some basics though. For example, we can be careful around blind corners but to hit the jumps you need speed. Have seen people stopped right behind jumps where you can't see them until you're in the air. :shock: Bad place to hang out.

Yea basic trail etiquette/common sense can be lacking at times. I was about to hit the second rock drop CCW on Sugar in "Pop Rocks", speed is needed to clean the drop and at the last minute I see two people laying on the down side of the rocks (actually just the guys head was visible), they were not visible until the last second because they were hidden from view because they were below grade as I approached. About *beep* myself but was able to fade inside and take the non-drop line. I stopped to apologize for scaring them but I'm sure I was more freaked than them. I just politely explained that napping in that spot was pretty risky due to the lack of sight line. In hind sight I would only had to lift a little sooner than normal to clear his head and both their selves :P :D Like you said Bad place to hang out.
Paul Brown

Return to General