"Unofficial" Clinton River Trail?

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

"Unofficial" Clinton River Trail?

Postby Synack42 » April 29th, 2019, 9:14 am

Hi everyone, first post for a lurker...

I poke around on Google maps looking for new places to ride. I noticed that on the west side of Opdyke the old railroad track was labeled as the "Unofficial Clinton River Trail." There are also some photos of plywood covering the old railroad ties above the Clinton river itself.

https://goo.gl/maps/LFE6fnkXThCSzMBYA

Just curious... Is it safe to ride from say, Galloway Lake Park/Perry street in Pontiac down to the official trailhead on Opdyke?

*I guess it's funny and sad that I'm questioning if the sketchy bandit trail is safer to travel than attempting to bike down Opdyke to the official trailhead...

Thanks
Synack42

Re: "Unofficial" Clinton River Trail?

Postby TimTucker » May 2nd, 2019, 12:11 pm

On the subject of Google Maps and unofficial places to ride -- has anyone tried riding on this section of "rollers" over at 10 & Haggerty?
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4685897 ... 384!8i8192

Drove by there the other day and did some looking -- seems like it's from a car dealership that closed. I'm guessing they had cars parks out there for display at one point, but it sure looks like it'd be fun to ride.
TimTucker

Postby mtbfree » May 2nd, 2019, 12:29 pm

I'm just here to ride...

-'15 Transition Scout
-'15 Trek Session 88
-'04 Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

Postby ihateplaindave » May 2nd, 2019, 1:38 pm

I've ridden that section a few times. A little sketchy, but kind of interesting.
ihateplaindave

Postby WICCMB » May 6th, 2019, 7:59 am

Synack42 wrote:Just curious... Is it safe to ride from say, Galloway Lake Park/Perry street in Pontiac down to the official trailhead on Opdyke?

*I guess it's funny and sad that I'm questioning if the sketchy bandit trail is safer to travel than attempting to bike down Opdyke to the official trailhead...

Thanks

I have never felt unsafe riding this portion of the RR bed, but there have been anecdotal reports of police harassing bikers that ride there....I personally have not experienced that.

When I ride eastbound on the West Bloomfield rail trail, instead of taking the official detour routes to South Blvd or Auburn Rd, I typically take Wittemore east, and then divert down to Cottage Street. Where Cottage St ends, there is a dirt path which continues east through what sometimes looks like a trash dumping ground, goes down a hill, and then climbs back up to the RR bed. I turn right on the RR bed, follow that as it curves back east and joins the Clinton River trail at Opdyke.

Going westbound from Opdyke, I take a slightly different route: just as the RR bed starts to curve to the north, I take the dirt path off to the left. This path borders the industrial zone fence, but generally follows the old RR bed that (in the past) would have eventually connected to the West Bloomfield trail. I only go as far as MLK Blvd, because after that the RR bed has been taken over by adjacent property owners as is not passable. So after MLK Blvd, divert south to the first street going west (I forget the name), and then take city streets back across Woodward, zigzagging north back to the West Bloomfield rail trail.
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby Synack42 » May 7th, 2019, 7:35 am

WICCMB wrote:I have never felt unsafe riding this portion of the RR bed, but there have been anecdotal reports of police harassing bikers that ride there....I personally have not experienced that.

When I ride eastbound on the West Bloomfield rail trail, instead of taking the official detour routes to South Blvd or Auburn Rd, I typically take Wittemore east, and then divert down to Cottage Street. Where Cottage St ends, there is a dirt path which continues east through what sometimes looks like a trash dumping ground, goes down a hill, and then climbs back up to the RR bed. I turn right on the RR bed, follow that as it curves back east and joins the Clinton River trail at Opdyke.

Going westbound from Opdyke, I take a slightly different route: just as the RR bed starts to curve to the north, I take the dirt path off to the left. This path borders the industrial zone fence, but generally follows the old RR bed that (in the past) would have eventually connected to the West Bloomfield trail. I only go as far as MLK Blvd, because after that the RR bed has been taken over by adjacent property owners as is not passable. So after MLK Blvd, divert south to the first street going west (I forget the name), and then take city streets back across Woodward, zigzagging north back to the West Bloomfield rail trail.

Thanks, hadn't thought about going west from that area. Might have to start roaming around. I work around Opdyke and Pontiac Rd, sometimes I bring the bike along to stop and hit River Bends and whatnot on the ride home (I head east). Haven't explored the other way yet...
Synack42

Postby mmba7349 » May 7th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Synack42 wrote:
WICCMB wrote:I have never felt unsafe riding this portion of the RR bed, but there have been anecdotal reports of police harassing bikers that ride there....I personally have not experienced that.

Thanks, hadn't thought about going west from that area. Might have to start roaming around. I work around Opdyke and Pontiac Rd, sometimes I bring the bike along to stop and hit River Bends and whatnot on the ride home (I head east). Haven't explored the other way yet...

I am very interested in picking up the railroad grad at the Perry intersection. If you ride it please post your review.
mmba7349

Postby Brandon4508 » March 18th, 2022, 8:45 am

I have ridden it from Jaycee Park in pontiac, it's definitely trespassing, but noones ever said anything to me. Pretty cool ride from jaycee since it's a tunnel of trees for the first mile or 2. Lots of moto and quad trails go through there. There is one sketchy rail bridge that is technically rideable, but it's a long fall if you screw up
Brandon4508

Postby flamingo » March 22nd, 2022, 9:18 am

I rode that portion last November from N.Perry Road and Giddings intersection all the way to Opdyke. I rode it on a fatbike which I believe is the most suitable bike for it. Given the time of the year it was also a mud bath in some sections. Yes it goes through some of sketchy areas so I would not make it into a "Sunday Ride". The walk on the railway overpass was actually not that bad. If the state wanted to spend some money, that path could be easily converted into a proper "rail to trail" trail. Looking at Google Earth the trail could easily be expanded from west Opdyke all the way to Walton and Joslyn intersection.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Return to General