Dropper Posts in southern Michigan

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Re: Dropper Posts in southern Michigan

Postby santaclausersolo » June 7th, 2019, 12:34 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
rcab23 wrote:But for marquette, id like to see someone ride chunder muffin without a dropper. Please tag me.

A RAMBA buddy of mine rides all of that, and all of MG50 and such, on a rigid fatbike without a dropper. It CAN be done. I prefer a dropper myself, though.

Agree, in fact I personally think (this is off topic) that technical trails like chunder muffin are easier on a rigid. Faster with suspension, but being 100% connected to terrain with a rigid bike makes extremely technical trails easier in my opinion.
santaclausersolo

Postby rcab23 » June 7th, 2019, 12:58 pm

I didnt ride 10 years ago =( im a noob still haha. Just started seriously riding id say 2 years or so now. I mean we can all get around any trail without a dropper too I just dont think its a fun time riding down tech with the seat up my booty, hence the dropper.
rcab23

Postby Dark-Fx » June 7th, 2019, 1:01 pm

santaclausersolo wrote:but being 100% connected to terrain with a rigid bike

The point of suspension is to increase the amount of contact your tires have with the terrain. Your opinion confuses me. I've ridden rigid plenty of times, completed LJ100 on rigid and then the next year with front suspension. The suspension fork makes trail chatter a lot less of a problem.
Dark-Fx

Postby rcab23 » June 7th, 2019, 1:35 pm

I agree with above^. I loved my hardtail, and yes being physically in contact with the trail is helps keep you connected but a trail with nothing but chunk and tech and hardly any dirt, front or even full suspension absolutely makes it faster/easier than a rigid. Same with bigger drops and features. I cant see how having a rigid bike is superior. Although in 2 years a lot of my assumptions and opinions have been altered and changed after learning so much more information from some long time riders.
rcab23

Postby flamingo » June 7th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Since we are into technical discussion. I wonder what happened to front fork lockout. I have it on every bike except for my fatty. And actually use it quite a bit. Whenever I stand up on the pedals to power up a hill I usually lock it up. I wonder who else is using that feature.

Going back to adjustable height seat posts I wish they could make them such they go went down predetermined height without having to put ones weight on it. Lets say one goes over a rock garden. Many times it is done standing so to compress the seat-post one has to sit on it for a fraction of second. It gets me out of rythm.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby c0nsumer » June 7th, 2019, 2:19 pm

I almost never use my lockout. I focus on pedaling in a fashion which keeps the front end from bobbing, and rarely stand to hammer out climbs.

For my dropper, I put it down before it needs to be down. It took some practice, but is now basically second nature. It's even very possible/normal for me to unlock the dropper, use going off the edge of a roller while my body is moving back/down to lower it, and let go of the lever before I get completely over the lip so that it stays down through the bottom.

Just like learning to shift well, learning to use my dropper well took practice.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby crustaceous_flora » June 7th, 2019, 11:56 pm

The people here posting that they don't need a dropper are definitely not sending huge jumps or drops through technical terrain, I can guarantee that. Let's see you guys ride Gypsy Road in Marquette or Overflow/Downtown in Copper Harbor and hit all of the features without a dropper lol. Dropper post just allows so much freedom and control over the bike at all times, the weight penalty is minimal, and you'll make up the time "lost" from the extra weight by having more control at a higher speed on downhills. Even UCI XC riders are using droppers now....

I'd definitely rather have a fully rigid with a dropper rather than a full suspension without one.
crustaceous_flora

Postby 2Old2BFast » June 8th, 2019, 10:42 am

Since this thread is now going a different direction, I want to thank everyone who responded. My take a ways are:

(1) Given how many people viewed this thread and how many people responded, I'm probably not the only one who isn't using a dropper, and

(2) A dropper is not a necessity in SE Michigan, but may be useful depending on where you ride.

So, I'm not going to rush out to get one, but if I see a used one at a good price, I may buy it. Thank you cOnsumer for the suggestion about the Command Post. That, and the KS DropZone Remote, seem to be my options for a decent dropper with an offest.
Facts can be proven to be true. Opinions are what you choose to believe. Don't confuse your opinions with facts. 8)
2Old2BFast

Postby ryguy79 » June 8th, 2019, 11:10 am

In the LP I'd rather ride rigid with a dropper than FS without. The ability to quickly go from pedaling efficiency to "hey, this is just a big BMX bike!" makes the way I like to ride way more fun. I look for every little thing to jump and pump instead of riding with what I see as the typical Michigan XC mindset. On the subject of length, I find 100mm to be a bit short. One of my bikes came with 100mm and if I'm really going for it in the air it still gets in the way a bit. I'm happy with my other 125mm dropper though.

I also disagree with the earlier comment someone made about droppers being more useful here than in the mountains. I started using droppers when I lived in Colorado. Even my favorite descents out there have pedally sections or even mid-descent climbs that make the dropper a beautiful thing.
ryguy79

Postby c0nsumer » June 8th, 2019, 8:48 pm

FWIW, I did a long-ish ride at DTE today. I used my dropper almost every time the trail pointed downhill and I knew that for a bit I wouldn't be pedaling. I feel comfortable riding down stuff -- especially chunky stuff or spots where the bike will get in the air -- SO much faster with a dropper than without.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby TimTucker » June 8th, 2019, 9:01 pm

2Old2BFast wrote:One of my problems is that I have a very long torso for my height, so my bike fits me properly with a 20mm offset saddle post. From the shopping I've done so far, KS is the only company that makes a dropper with an offset, and that is only available in their mid to lower end droppers which have no more than 125mm of travel. I know it's only an inch farther forward without the offset, but it feels cramped riding that way.

Put one of these springs between the post and the saddle and you can get more offset with any post:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CVY5ZXS/

I have one on my hardtail with a cheap 125mm Brand X dropper and it's great - seat gets plenty out of the way when down and the spring helps to cushion the ride when seated.
TimTucker

Postby AllMountin' » June 8th, 2019, 11:26 pm

On dropper length... I ordered a 150mm on accident somehow, instead of a 170mm. 150 is plenty for most anything, but I really wish I had the 170mm if I hit the pump track. A couple extra inches and I can get deeper, higher quality pumps and make the rollers disappear at speed. I run out of room at 150 drop. Annoying, but not a big deal to manual drop for that usage.

I find 150 plenty for virtually every thing else, including jumps.

Not southern Michigan, but I rode the epic loop at Ishpeming today. So much pumpable, undulating terrain. So many rock rolls. So many steep, technical climbs. Sure I could ride it without a dropper, but I'm here to tell you there's no way it can be ridden as well without a dropper as it can with. There's just not enough real estate for quality pumping and sucking up terrain, in addition to having efficient climbing position to scratch up those climbs. Rigid is a serious compromise. And I wouldn't have ridden the steep rock face at the beginning of am/fm with a post up my backside. Suicide.

I don't think dte, maple hill, Andrews Uni, etc can be fully experienced with a full height post. I really don't. There are riders who could do it well enough, but they'd still be better dropped.

I use mine frequently on fun oriented rides, and less to none on pr type rides on xc loops. It's a combination of fatigue level and other factors.

Ultimately, it's a personal choice, but one that even world cup xc riders are making. I've learned over the last several years to utilize that space where the seat goes, and it's improved my riding experience and competency. Dropper over suspension for me, if I had to choose.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby c0nsumer » June 9th, 2019, 7:03 am

AllMountin' wrote:And I wouldn't have ridden the steep rock face at the beginning of am/fm with a post up my backside. Suicide.

Oof. That one's a thing. A few times I've thought I'd ride it (after seeing it before) but every time I've gotten there -- nope. Congratulations on that one!
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby santaclausersolo » June 9th, 2019, 7:21 am

Dark-Fx wrote:
santaclausersolo wrote:but being 100% connected to terrain with a rigid bike

The point of suspension is to increase the amount of contact your tires have with the terrain. Your opinion confuses me. I've ridden rigid plenty of times, completed LJ100 on rigid and then the next year with front suspension. The suspension fork makes trail chatter a lot less of a problem.

That’s probably because you’re confusion xc racing and endurance events with highly technical trails.

I’ve never seen a trials bike that wasn’t fully rigid.

Full suspension bikes are faster than rigid in most cases, but there comes a time when the trail gets technical enough that a rigid is easier to ride. No suspension robbing your energy to wheelie, hop, etc. no suspension to compress while creeping off a ledge or drop off etc.

I’m not talking about a trail like highland or lumberjack. I’m talking about highly technical nearly trials type riding.
santaclausersolo

Postby santaclausersolo » June 9th, 2019, 7:23 am

crustaceous_flora wrote:The people here posting that they don't need a dropper are definitely not sending huge jumps or drops through technical terrain, I can guarantee that. Let's see you guys ride Gypsy Road in Marquette or Overflow/Downtown in Copper Harbor and hit all of the features without a dropper lol. Dropper post just allows so much freedom and control over the bike at all times, the weight penalty is minimal, and you'll make up the time "lost" from the extra weight by having more control at a higher speed on downhills. Even UCI XC riders are using droppers now....

I'd definitely rather have a fully rigid with a dropper rather than a full suspension without one.

Interesting take on how we all ride and what we do and don’t ride. Have we met or ridden together? Didn’t think so.

Don’t read too far into that comment. I’m not saying “I’m awesome” I’m saying “you’re making assumptions about people you don’t know or haven’t ridden with”
santaclausersolo

PreviousNext

Return to General