24 spoke wheelset...good enough for gravel?

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

24 spoke wheelset...good enough for gravel?

Postby Synack42 » September 16th, 2019, 7:47 am

I did a frame up rigid 26er build recently as a poor man's gravel bike. :) I currently have a mismatched wheelset on it and it's driving my OCD insane... I like the look of this wheelset (by that I mainly mean the machined braking surface, I'm using rim brakes).

https://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1534

The only thing that bothers me is the spoke count... It just seems kinda skimpy... I'm not planning on any singletrack with this bike in particular, just back roads and maybe some light doubletrack. I'm 185 lbs. as well

Bikeisland also has these wheelsets available that I'm looking at, not sure if any one would be better than the other...

https://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1865
https://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=2978

If anyone is curious, here's the abomination I built...

Synack42

Re: 24 spoke wheelset...good enough for gravel?

Postby c0nsumer » September 16th, 2019, 7:52 am

Spoke count is only one small part of overall wheel strength. If it's strong enough, and moreso if it's well built and evenly tensioned, it's fine.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Synack42 » September 16th, 2019, 8:13 am

Thanks, I know double wall is definitely a requirement in my head as well. Any one of those links seem better to you?

Definitely trying to keep this a budget build. Not sure if any LBS in the metro Detroit area carries anything like that in this price range... I'm not opposed to a used set either.
Synack42

Postby c0nsumer » September 16th, 2019, 8:17 am

I'd ride what you have. Check tension and be sure each side is even, or have a bike shop do it. Odds are good that cheap wheels like that are going to be built poorly and thus more likely to fail.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby b_b » September 16th, 2019, 11:14 am

+1 just get over it and ride. Funny you care about matching wheels on a franken-bike gravel beater. Maybe you can remove the red rim stickers to make them look more alike. If you must do something maybe give T&C Livonia (Otto) a call. They had tons of old wheels last time I was in there but that was years ago.
b_b

Postby Synack42 » September 16th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Heh, you're both talking me out of it. I may look into a used replacement front from an LBS. That one would need to be retensioned/trued anyways, maybe i can find one with matching stainless spokes.
Synack42

Postby michiganclydesdale » September 16th, 2019, 1:08 pm

looks like a 32 spoke wheelset to me
N+1
michiganclydesdale

Postby DynoDon » September 16th, 2019, 1:15 pm

I ride those til' the wheels fall off, what have got to lose? Carry a spoke wrench with you incase you do break a spoke, then you can straighten the wheel enough to get it back to the starting point, then look for wheels, those look good, just avoid pot holes, they are ususally around mail boxes/driveways where vehicals stop and start..
I'd also put some sort of a decal on the front or a badge of some sort so it doen't look like a stolen bike.. but it looks like its ready to go,, good job..
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Postby c0nsumer » September 16th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Synack42 wrote:Heh, you're both talking me out of it. I may look into a used replacement front from an LBS. That one would need to be retensioned/trued anyways, maybe i can find one with matching stainless spokes.

It sounds like you're looking for someone to support purchasing a replacement and not a technical suggestion about what to actually do.

Best of luck to you.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby Synack42 » September 16th, 2019, 2:15 pm

c0nsumer wrote:It sounds like you're looking for someone to support purchasing a replacement and not a technical suggestion about what to actually do.

Best of luck to you.

Heh, well I actually was pretty dead set on buying one of the three originally. Was just worried about the durability; You reaffirmed it at that price point.

Probably for the best, spending the money at an LBS, even if I just take in the front for a truing or a complete front replacement to satisfy the OCD. :)
Synack42

Postby Synack42 » September 16th, 2019, 2:21 pm

michiganclydesdale wrote:looks like a 32 spoke wheelset to me

The set that's on it was just mismatched stuff I had laying around. The 24 spoke set is the first link.
Synack42

Postby Synack42 » September 16th, 2019, 2:28 pm

DynoDon wrote:I'd also put some sort of a decal on the front or a badge of some sort so it doen't look like a stolen bike.. but it looks like its ready to go,, good job..

...wow, that thought never even crossed my mind. I was thinking about getting some custom vinyl for the downtube for giggles...
Synack42

Postby c0nsumer » September 16th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Synack42 wrote:[...] to satisfy the OCD. :)

Wanting stuff that matches isn't OCD, it's just being detail oriented and particular.

OCD is a debilitating mental condition: https://www.jhunewsletter.com/article/2 ... -about-ocd
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby Synack42 » September 16th, 2019, 2:46 pm

c0nsumer wrote:

Wanting stuff that matches isn't OCD, it's just being detail oriented and particular.

OCD is a debilitating mental condition: https://www.jhunewsletter.com/article/2 ... -about-ocd

Apologies, I'll refrain from using the expression.
Synack42

Postby c0nsumer » September 16th, 2019, 9:26 pm

Synack42 wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:

Apologies, I'll refrain from using the expression.

Thank you. :)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Return to General