Fat biking near Sault Ste Marie?

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Fat biking near Sault Ste Marie?

Postby dudegetabike » December 13th, 2019, 9:17 am

I'll be spending a considerable amount of time in the Soo this winter and was hoping someone here could point me to some fat bike friendly trails. Groomed or not, I ride whatever. I would prefer it to be somewhere between Kinross and Sault Ste Marie (US side) as I won't have a ton of time to ride, let alone travel to a trail. Pretty much guarantee I'll be riding at night too.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
5 it son!

2018 Canyon Spectral CF8
2014 Niner EMD
2015 'Goose Vinson (Fatties rule!)
2012 Sunday 2nd Wave
2017 Sunday C24
dudegetabike

Re: Fat biking near Sault Ste Marie?

Postby c0nsumer » December 13th, 2019, 9:40 am

Give Velorution (https://velorution.ca/) a call. They are THE folks for up there on the Canadian side. Probably have a bunch of knowledge of the US side as well.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby dudegetabike » December 13th, 2019, 10:23 am

c0nsumer wrote:Give Velorution (https://velorution.ca/) a call. They are THE folks for up there on the Canadian side. Probably have a bunch of knowledge of the US side as well.

Nice, they have a groomed trail map posted too, but it's all for the CA side. Not totally sure I can take the work vehicles into Canada so I'll call and see what is there for the US side.
5 it son!

2018 Canyon Spectral CF8
2014 Niner EMD
2012 Sunday 2nd Wave
2017 Sunday C24
dudegetabike

Postby talking head » December 14th, 2019, 6:54 pm

Anyone know the DNR’s official stance on fat biking designated snowmobile trails? I find their website impossible to find an answer on the issue (or any issue, really).

I ride them quite a bit down state but there isn’t nearly the traffic that I assume you would encounter in the Soo....but that would open up a whole lot of possibilities in that area.
talking head

Postby c0nsumer » December 14th, 2019, 11:21 pm

talking head wrote:Anyone know the DNR’s official stance on fat biking designated snowmobile trails? I find their website impossible to find an answer on the issue (or any issue, really).

I ride them quite a bit down state but there isn’t nearly the traffic that I assume you would encounter in the Soo....but that would open up a whole lot of possibilities in that area.

As far as I know, they don't have an official stance.

Personally, I'd do it, but cautiously.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby talking head » December 15th, 2019, 12:50 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
talking head wrote:Anyone know the DNR’s official stance on fat biking designated snowmobile trails? I find their website impossible to find an answer on the issue (or any issue, really).

As far as I know, they don't have an official stance.

Personally, I'd do it, but cautiously.

Agree.
My method is be a little careful and avoid peak times/areas and you can get some pretty good rides in on a super fatbike surface. Front light and a rear blinker, even during the day. Plus you can hear a snowmobile coming from a ways away, you give up the right of way and never get more than a curious look.
talking head

Postby dudegetabike » December 19th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Looks like I could make a short loop around the airport then? So long as I have some good lights. I have good headlights, may need to order up a bright tail so I don't get run down. Most likely be riding around 7pm so I would think I would be pretty visible with a light.

I estimate a 13 mile loop:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/46.2582 ... 4e!1m0!3e0
Last edited by dudegetabike on December 19th, 2019, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 it son!

2018 Canyon Spectral CF8
2014 Niner EMD
2012 Sunday 2nd Wave
2017 Sunday C24
dudegetabike

Postby c0nsumer » December 19th, 2019, 12:38 pm

Also, you will hear snowmobiles far away. Wear reflective / high vis stuff, have lights, and keep eyes and ears open and you'll be fine.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Return to General