Boyne riding

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Boyne riding

Postby Chippewa93 » July 31st, 2020, 2:34 pm

Up in Petoskey next weekend. Which is better Mt or Highlands. Do I have to buy the pass or can I just ride it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
" Life is what happens when your making plans " - John Lennon
Chippewa93

Re: Boyne riding

Postby c0nsumer » July 31st, 2020, 2:57 pm

Also consider Avalanche Park and Boyne City School Forest. Those are XC-type stuff, but Avalanche has some nice fun elevation and the School Forest is nice twisty stuff through the trees with good rolling hills.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Hudnut » August 1st, 2020, 7:15 am

Im up that way next week as well. I was planning on giving highlands a try
Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
Hudnut

Postby jthomp » August 1st, 2020, 5:06 pm

Highlands is a lot of fun! They don’t have a ton of miles, but it’s well built with multiple offshoots to mix it up when doing laps.

Sent you a pm
Life BYGG is all there is.
jthomp

Postby Ecruz » August 3rd, 2020, 9:27 am

Chippewa93 wrote:Up in Petoskey next weekend. Which is better Mt or Highlands. Do I have to buy the pass or can I just ride it

Highlands has downhill runs, with jumps, features, etc., as well as cross country trails. You only need a pass to ride the lifts. When we're up there, I usually do a 15-20 mile cross country-ish ride in the morning, then come in, eat lunch, take a nap & ride the lifts in the afternoon. FYI, the lifts do not run Mondays & Tuesdays.
Ecruz

Postby sheppardjm » August 3rd, 2020, 10:14 am

Highlands had substantial damage to their trails after the last big storm and I'm not sure if they've cleaned it up yet.

Avalanche was in great shape this weekend. When I rode Boyne Mountain about a month ago there were a few face slappers on the Bridges section but other than that it was in great shape albeit washed out in some sandy spots.

There's also a few handcut loops in East Jordan off the back of the middle school that have more technical features and rock if you're into that.
sheppardjm

Postby Ecruz » August 3rd, 2020, 10:33 am

sheppardjm wrote:Highlands had substantial damage to their trails after the last big storm and I'm not sure if they've cleaned it up yet.

Not sure if it's 100% cleaned up yet, but there was plenty open last week.
Ecruz

Postby vas » September 1st, 2020, 8:29 pm

Any place around Boyne highlands to camp or ‘crash’ ? Hotels are either booked or too expensive for Labor Day weekend...
vas

Postby Chippewa93 » September 2nd, 2020, 5:11 am

In Wolverine, try Elk campground. Nice place and doesn’t get sold out. Your about 30 mins from Boyne area

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
" Life is what happens when your making plans " - John Lennon
Chippewa93

Postby Grabnmcbuttt » September 3rd, 2020, 8:18 am

North Country Trail runs past Boyne Highlands and is open to bikes in that area. The ride from stutsmanville rd up to Wilderness State Park is beautiful and fun.
Grabnmcbuttt

Postby Grabnmcbuttt » September 3rd, 2020, 8:26 am

New trails that were just recently opened near Petoskey. I have not ridden them but hear they are pretty good.

Tanton Family Working Forest Reserve
Grabnmcbuttt

Postby Ecruz » September 3rd, 2020, 8:56 am

Grabnmcbuttt wrote:North Country Trail runs past Boyne Highlands and is open to bikes in that area. The ride from stutsmanville rd up to Wilderness State Park is beautiful and fun.

How many miles is that? We're going to be up there this weekend, I may have to check it out.
Ecruz

Postby c0nsumer » September 3rd, 2020, 9:57 am

Grabnmcbuttt wrote:New trails that were just recently opened near Petoskey. I have not ridden them but hear they are pretty good.

Tanton Family Working Forest Reserve

I rode it on Saturday. It's fun, but short. It's also weird for MI in that the first half is nearly all climbing, then the second half descending.

Check out the elevation chart here: https://www.strava.com/activities/3984337866

First peak/lap is the whole outer loop of Green/Blue/Black, second is Green/Blue, third is Green.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Hudnut » September 3rd, 2020, 4:42 pm

Ecruz wrote:
Grabnmcbuttt wrote:North Country Trail runs past Boyne Highlands and is open to bikes in that area. The ride from stutsmanville rd up to Wilderness State Park is beautiful and fun.

How many miles is that? We're going to be up there this weekend, I may have to check it out.

I rode the wilderness section of NCT for a few miles. It's more of a hiking trail up there as there are many steep and tight climbs that are not quite rideable. the sections south of Wycamp lake are wider.

I did ride highlands as well a few weeks ago for the first time and had a blast. went in the morning to find out the lifts dont open until 2:00. I went to the ticket desk and they simply had me sign the digital waiver and the said you can ride all you want for free. even gave a nice trail map. there are trails for most skill levels.
Don't worry. It's all downhill from here.
Hudnut

Postby Arctic601 » December 22nd, 2020, 10:32 pm

Anyone whose rode Highlands feel a Giant Trance would do just fine on most of the downhill stuff unless your really trying to kill it on the jumps? I've only been once and it was several years ago, but I feel like a Trance or similar trail bike would do well here. I'm asking because I intend to buy a season pass this summer and I need a bike for riding, so I'm between a Giant Trance and a Giant Reign at this point. I know the Reign is better for parks, but I'm not going to be clearing 20' gaps, although I would like to go to Copper Harbor with it a time or two, but I've been saying that for years.

Thanks!
Arctic601

Next

Return to General