New to the Dropper

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Re: New to the Dropper

Postby c0nsumer » September 30th, 2020, 8:11 am

I completely get that... I spend a while getting my suspension set up for a good all around, write it down, then leave it be. There's times when lockouts wouldn't be bad (say, long dirt road climbs) but instead I just end up settling in and pedaling away at a smooth cadence. Just... it's just easier for me that way.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby ReidRules18 » October 8th, 2020, 8:42 am

Okay got out again (I can only get out 1 time a week to a trail with a kiddo!) and I have decided to keep the dropper. I like it. Yes my weight increased slightly on my bike, but it sure makes it fun on a couple of small little poppers/drops/jumps (if you can call them that). I went to the Cannonsburg Ski Area and with the new stuff built on the trail it was fun. I really only use it 5-7 times per lap, but it does put a smile on my face as the lift off and land is just so much more controlled - even on an XC FS bike.

Gonna keep using it, keep my remote lockout lever up front - why not. Only thing I will change is eventually cut down the cable hose length for the dropper, I left it maybe an inch or two longer than needed as it was my first time dealing with internal cable routing and a dropper and wanted to make sure it worked. Now it just bulges out slightly more than I would like aesthetically but does not affect fit/form/function.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby c0nsumer » October 8th, 2020, 9:05 am

ReidRules18 wrote:Only thing I will change is eventually cut down the cable hose length for the dropper, I left it maybe an inch or two longer than needed as it was my first time dealing with internal cable routing and a dropper and wanted to make sure it worked. Now it just bulges out slightly more than I would like aesthetically but does not affect fit/form/function.

FWIW, mine is just long enough that I can turn the bars all the way right and have just enough cable to remove the post (it basically sticks about 1cm out the top of the seatpost when pulled and housing is taut). If I really need to do work I remove the dropper lever and slide it in until the lever as at the front internal routing port and then there's a good 6" of housing available out the seat tube. Thus far, thankfully, this is a rare thing.

Glad to hear you're liking it! I think of it like disc brakes... Not something you really need, but once you get accustomed to them, going back isn't as nice.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby b_b » October 8th, 2020, 11:11 am

ReidRules18 wrote: Only thing I will change is eventually cut down the cable hose length for the dropper, I left it maybe an inch or two longer than needed...

Ha I did the same! Much easier to shorten then re-run if you screwed it up. I also wanted the built-in cable end at lever for cleaner install so had to set the cable length at the post which took a couple tries. Oh and make sure barrell aduster is all the way back in before you set cable length. Don't ask me how I know! :)
b_b

Postby c0nsumer » October 8th, 2020, 12:21 pm

On the flipside, be careful about ending up with your dropper with a bit of tension on the cable. I think a wee little bit of slack at the start of the lever stroke is best. (I'm fairly sure the stock Giant seatposts, and some other cartridge-based ones, will fail VERY quickly if you ride them with the actuator partially depressed.)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby ReidRules18 » October 30th, 2020, 8:16 am

Got out again this week at the Merrell Trail (flow type trail). I finally nailed the little lip/double (whatever you call it) on Phaser right after the banked wooden berm perfectly. Went up the front lip and dipped down the backside perfectly with the dropper down. It felt fluid, fun, and smooth! I have been trying this for awhile without a dropper and ended up not being able to conquer this little victory.

I enjoy the dropper and it makes a ton of fun. I use it only a handful of times on the trail for the drops/jumps but it sure makes them easier, more fluid, smooth, and fun. Well worth it - even on an XC FS bike!
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Previous

Return to General