Count Spinning Miles?

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Count Spinning Miles?

Postby ReidRules18 » January 7th, 2021, 3:21 pm

Okay, this may seem like a pointless question, but do any of you "count" your spin distance and times in your yearly counts or log? I have been keeping track of my miles ridden yearly since 2003, and always counted spin distance as N/A since at the gym I barely did it. Untillll, we just got a spin bike at home and seeing as I can't mountain bike as much this is my way to get in the miles.

Look, I really don't know what kind of answer I am expecting here from you guys, I just have some sort of mental guilt for tabulating miles where I sit still! Don't worry, I am about as far from a FFG or Strava guy as they come nowadays.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Re: Count Spinning Miles?

Postby CardsHockey » January 7th, 2021, 3:37 pm

No. [Need to meet 5 character minimum to post.]
CardsHockey

Postby Dark-Fx » January 7th, 2021, 3:39 pm

Depends on what your goals are. Spin miles tend to be greatly exaggerated compared to trail miles.
Unless otherwise stated my posts and comments are my own and not representative of any group.
Dark-Fx

Postby ReidRules18 » January 7th, 2021, 4:18 pm

Dark-Fx wrote:Depends on what your goals are. Spin miles tend to be greatly exaggerated compared to trail miles.

Oh I agree and I realize the effort is all what the user inputs.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby c0nsumer » January 7th, 2021, 5:18 pm

I track my stuff separate.

Specifically, I track:

Biking: Outdoor rides.
Trainer: General spinning, usually in Erg mode on a smart trainer with optimal chainline, so distance is directly correlated to my cadence. Typically 27-30 miles per hour of spinning.
Virtual Riding: Zwift. Seems to over-calculate for an effort, as it's unlikely I'm actually averaging 23 MPH on a hilly route, or whatever. But I don't want to lose this data either.

Zwift clouds things a little, but generally I think of trainer riding in time, and outdoor riding in time and miles.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby steveracer » January 7th, 2021, 6:42 pm

I just count my miles with outdoor miles. Not on
The trainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby ReidRules18 » January 7th, 2021, 7:17 pm

Ya I am going to separate it out indoor versus outdoor. I guess I count my miles on the treadmill and separate those out so might as well do the same.
ReidRules18

Postby b_b » January 8th, 2021, 12:21 am

Well if you didn't go anywhere that's not miles.:) Considering spinning as riding is a stretch anyhow. Strava has "Virtual Ride" (and run) if you put everything in there. Don't know how they're counted in totals though.
b_b

Postby ahopkins1988 » January 8th, 2021, 10:00 am

b_b wrote:Well if you didn't go anywhere that's not miles.:) Considering spinning as riding is a stretch anyhow. Strava has "Virtual Ride" (and run) if you put everything in there. Don't know how they're counted in totals though.

They are included. I log all of my Peloton rides as Virtual, but it is still counted as total. I include, whatever. I added "Peloton" as a bike on Strava so I can see what I have on that plus my bikes, but it is a manual separation.

Edit: They are separated on Strava in the Training Log by color, but still totaled together.

Edit Again: You can filter in the Training Log section of strava to only see Rides or Virtual Rides and it changes the weekly totals. You'd still have to manually add up each if you wanted to know, but that makes it easier.
--
Andrew

2021 Canyon Neuron 6, 2011 Trek Mamba 29er, 2003 Trek 4500
ahopkins1988

Postby chris_werth » January 8th, 2021, 4:25 pm

Time in the saddle is time in the saddle. I once felt the same way that "spin" miles shouldn't count. Then I jumped on the Trainerroad and Zwift bandwagon and it changed my mind. I get a great workout and some quality time in the saddle. I count all miles spent in the saddle, and don't feel guilty doing it.
To "come back" would mean I've been somewhere.....not sure if I qualify. W.S 2013
chris_werth

Postby c0nsumer » January 8th, 2021, 9:47 pm

chris_werth wrote:Time in the saddle is time in the saddle. I once felt the same way that "spin" miles shouldn't count. Then I jumped on the Trainerroad and Zwift bandwagon and it changed my mind. I get a great workout and some quality time in the saddle. I count all miles spent in the saddle, and don't feel guilty doing it.

I track them separately just because I know it's not the same, but I definitely still track it.

Just case in point, here's today's ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/4589066338

25 miles, 3000' of climbing, and 1:25 elapsed. That's just... no. Not at all realistic.

Still, I find Zwift pretty engaging and it's got me riding more than just TrainerRoad did. This is good for both my physical and mental health.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Roy » January 9th, 2021, 7:42 pm

All are seprate?
Road
Dirt
Spin
How do you compare cranking up a hill at poto (that long hill after the 2 trails join by a creek), sweat blinding you eyes and a big horse fly circling, then turning the first corner only to see a bigger hill, to spinning while watching a flat screen.

Track what motivates you to ride, if that's what matters.

Roy
Roy

Return to General