Spiking winter boots?

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Spiking winter boots?

Postby xycarp » January 17th, 2021, 9:01 pm

I rode Stony this morning. Even the two track was very icy. At one point on the big two track hill it looked sketchy so I put a foot down in caution and immediately fell on the ice... which got me thinking. I only use my biking boots in winter, so why not put a few screws in the tread for traction - just screw hex head screws in and let the head grip on ice for traction. Anyone do this? Any reason not to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xycarp

Re: Spiking winter boots?

Postby PK » January 18th, 2021, 5:47 am

I've done it.
No reason not to other than it's a bit awkward walking across pavement or the kitchen floor.
I would suggest that you get them out at the periphery as any in the center can make for a wobbly walk.
One pair of lightweight boots I have are factory-tapped for spikes. Just two per boot, up on the toes.
Pete
PK

Postby xycarp » January 18th, 2021, 9:19 pm

I will try it. :)
xycarp

Postby DynoDon » January 19th, 2021, 6:31 am

Ice Fishing cleats may work too... then you can take them off if you feel the need to.. https://www.fishingpax.com/best-ice-cle ... e-fishing/
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Postby KLydesdale » January 20th, 2021, 10:28 am

Check out Gripstuds (or their knock-offs). They’re on the expensive side, but they sell kits for studding shoes and boots. Supposed to stay in better than regular screws. This is what I would use if my Lake winter boots didn’t have provisions for toe studs.

https://www.gripstuds.com/running.php

Strap-on style ice cleats are *beep* on pedals and pins in flat pedals can tear the rubber used to hold the cleats. Most won’t work with clipless.
KLydesdale

Postby xycarp » January 20th, 2021, 7:58 pm

Great suggestions. Thanks... I think I will start with the screws and see how it works.
xycarp

Postby KLydesdale » January 21st, 2021, 12:20 pm

I had a knee issue earlier this winter so I switched to flat pedals with winter hiking boots for a while. Really missed the toe spikes on my Lake winter boots every time I had to put a foot down on icier surfaces or on a steeper snowy pitch. I use ice cleats with these boots when I hike with them any time it’s icy. If I used them for riding more, I’d definitely put some screw-in studs in them.
KLydesdale

Return to General