Cycling performance and Blood Pressure meds

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Cycling performance and Blood Pressure meds

Postby chris_werth » May 20th, 2021, 8:25 am

My Doc has me on a daily dosage of 10mg of Lisinopril to help get my Blood Pressure down. Since I have been taking it I have noticed my performance on the bike is dropping and what I mean by that is my max heart rate has dropped from 178 to 170 and my average which is usually around 150 is now down to 130 bpm. I have a loss of power and I get to the point of exhaustion way to easy. I really don't enjoy riding with this decline of performance.

I have read on line that these side effect are common in cyclist that take Lisinopril. My question to the group is anyone using something other then Lisinopril to help lower your BP and it did not effect your biking performance? I'm also up for the suggestions of natural remedies to help lower my BP. Changing my Job is not an option.
To "come back" would mean I've been somewhere.....not sure if I qualify. W.S 2013
chris_werth

Re: Cycling performance and Blood Pressure meds

Postby flamingo » May 20th, 2021, 9:08 am

I am on Lisinopril as well. But 20mg. What Lisinopril does to you is makes your veins more flexible so that they can stretch or expand and that way the pressure goes down. Before I was also on Metroporol as well. That is the one that can slow you down. It is what they call a Betablocker. It basically blocks adrenaline signals that make your heart pump faster when needed. It is like putting a brake on your hart. I am surprised you feel side effects from Lisinopril. Maybe your body just needs to get used to it. My Blood pressure is also around 150-160 / 80-90 without medication. With the 20mg doses of Lisinopril and cycling I can maintain it at around 135/80 which is not ideal but not deadly. Check your BP after a ride, you will see that it will be at its lowest. Yes it is not fun getting old.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby chris_werth » May 20th, 2021, 9:23 am

flamingo wrote:I am on Lisinopril as well. But 20mg. What Lisinopril does to you is makes your veins more flexible so that they can stretch or expand and that way the pressure goes down. Before I was also on Metroporol as well. That is the one that can slow you down. It is what they call a Betablocker. It basically blocks adrenaline signals that make your heart pump faster when needed. It is like putting a brake on your hart. I am surprised you feel side effects from Lisinopril. Maybe your body just needs to get used to it. My Blood pressure is also around 150-160 / 80-90 without medication. With the 20mg doses of Lisinopril and cycling I can maintain it at around 135/80 which is not ideal but not deadly. Check your BP after a ride, you will see that it will be at its lowest. Yes it is not fun getting old.

Thanks Konrad, I'm waiting to hear back from my Doc on his suggestions and you could be right on my body might need to adjust to it. I have only been on it for 3 weeks.
To "come back" would mean I've been somewhere.....not sure if I qualify. W.S 2013
chris_werth

Postby Mattwings » May 23rd, 2021, 7:16 am

I was on 10mg of Atenenol and noticed similar results, but not as severe as you describe. on long climbs or high effort trail sections, I could tell my muscles were just not supplied with enough blood to keep going at a high effort. I switched when I took the medicine from morning to night and that helped. I also started taking a half dose on training days, which also helped me get into my target heart rate zone. Fortunately biking helped me me loose weight and get in better shape, I started meditating and doing yoga as well. I am now off the meds at 52 after taking them about ten years. No doubt my overall performance and in particular my peak output is better without the meds.
Mattwings

Postby chris_werth » May 24th, 2021, 7:14 am

Mattwings wrote:I was on 10mg of Atenenol and noticed similar results, but not as severe as you describe. on long climbs or high effort trail sections, I could tell my muscles were just not supplied with enough blood to keep going at a high effort. I switched when I took the medicine from morning to night and that helped. I also started taking a half dose on training days, which also helped me get into my target heart rate zone. Fortunately biking helped me me loose weight and get in better shape, I started meditating and doing yoga as well. I am now off the meds at 52 after taking them about ten years. No doubt my overall performance and in particular my peak output is better without the meds.

Matt, thanks for the reply. I went and visited my Doctor on Friday and he switched me to 1/2 dosage every other day and a friend suggested taking it at night. Doing both of these did seem to help on my Sunday ride. I was able to get my avg HR up a little higher and felt a little better on the ride.
chris_werth

Return to General