Verbal Aggression while riding.

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Verbal Aggression while riding.

Postby flamingo » January 26th, 2022, 5:33 pm

I was wondering how many fellow riders (that still go on this forum) have experience verbal aggression while riding on the road? I happened to be crazy (or determined) enough to ride my bike to work last Monday (major snowfall). Most of my commute is on Polly Ann trail. After one road crossing as I was already on the trail riding parallel to the road, a pickup truck rode by and somebody yelled at me "f..ing idiot". It is not the first time that it happens to me. Don't want to generalize but it has always been people driving pickup trucks that have yelled at me. Once I was even thrown at me a fountain drink while riding north on Joslyn road.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Re: Verbal Aggression while riding.

Postby ReidRules18 » January 27th, 2022, 3:11 pm

Yup. I have stopped riding on the road, but I have had a beer bottle chucked at me when I rode the road. The biggest issue I have is that now I ride paths, when crossing the road people don't yield, and then they speed in front of me and flick me off for slowing down their right turn. The scary thing is, if anything happens to them, they are not going to get hurt, I will. It also happens when I walk/run on the paths and reach an intersection too.

I won't generalize, but 9 times out of 10, I can guess the type of individual that would be driving the vehicle...
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby Jamesc » January 31st, 2022, 9:02 pm

Yup. I ride to work regularly. Luckily, most of my ride is neighborhood or multi use, wide sidewalk along Huron Parkway. I'll ride in Huron Parkway, southbound where I'm maintaining 30 to 37 mph.

Just prior to covid shutdown on this southbound stretch, a nice gentleman in a pick em up locked up his breaks next to me, shouted a few obscenities, and swerved to within a foot of me. Unwisely, I have him the bird, at which point he threatened to kill me, literally, sped ahead and stopped at a pull out to wait for me.

I stopped and called 911 with the license plate. Total waste of time. They couldn't give two craps.

So, yes, driver's suck. Both the aggressive ones and the stupid ones. I see lots of both.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Jamesc

Postby steveracer » February 3rd, 2022, 9:38 am

I quit road riding when this happened to me 30 years ago.

The pickups are usually dodge with black windows and plate covers.

And you are right. Nobody cares anymore about behavior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Return to General