How many of us left??

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

How many of us left??

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » February 25th, 2022, 9:49 am

Man, I remember when this was the place to get all the local news and happenings with MMBA.
Now it just seems like a ghost town that people come to visit every now and then, mostly for the classifieds.

But, then I got to thinking that even though this site is still up and running, how many of us bike riders are still looking at this now relic?
I think not so many due to the changes in how people communicate via social media platforms nowadays. Just another thing that I will miss about the cooler past....
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

Re: How many of us left??

Postby c0nsumer » February 25th, 2022, 11:50 am

I look occasionally, but IMO the MMBA folks have just sort of abandoned this.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby ihateplaindave » February 25th, 2022, 1:05 pm

Forums in general seem to be dying out thanks to FB which is starting to fade now.
ihateplaindave

Postby flamingo » February 25th, 2022, 2:33 pm

I am with you. I dearly miss the days when this site was vibrant and in its apogee, which would be around 10 years ago. There were some fun discussions and useful information to be found. It did feel like a community. It was fun to run into strange people on the trail and then find out who were they on the this forum. It looks like an era is gone and it will never be back. I will definitively have nostalgia. Looks like Facebook has destroyed this site. I hardly go to MMBA FB page. Just don't like its format. Now I don't even know when the trail days are going to be. Hopefully even half alive this site can hang on for a while. Sometimes I feel like posting stuff just to keep this site alive.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby Steve_Balogh » February 26th, 2022, 2:42 am

Perhaps being a "local" statewide site has something to do with it. When I bought my first fat bike long before they were popular from Wildfire, I had joined Alaska Spokes and learned quite a lot regarding winter riding from them. But they could not compete with MTBR's global forum with a State forum included for AK. The site folded I believe before fat biking took off around 2010. To me that was an early sign that forums as useful as they are can fail early in favor of a platform with a wider reaching audience. Quite a few that were fond of AK Spokes were not happy with those that migrated to MTBR.

With MTBR, many people that I made friends online with do not use it as much anymore, and I keep in touch with them via Facebook.

On the musical side, there are two international/global forums I'm on that are still going strong and keeps growing. This makes me more curious if for locally focused forums regardless of topic, just go by the wayside in favor of realtime updates on social media. When I still lived in Canton, the local sub's forum did not get used as much as Nextdoor.com. I was sick of Nextdoor.com because of all of the hateful complaining and I deleted my account long before I relocated up north. Here this is smaller in scale with the same result in usage, however the sub keeps it going for other reasons so residents have access to important info regarding the association and other amenities with the city. I think that part of the musical forum's success is that MFG's and professionals post on there frequently, that draws more people in and keeps the "old-timers" happy.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Jamesc » February 26th, 2022, 7:53 am

I still poke head in on occasion, but there's not a lot of activity.

I also dislike the format of Facebook as a replacement fire forums. Car forums are going the same way and I don't find the info on FB nearly as searchable or useful.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Jamesc

Postby steveracer » February 26th, 2022, 12:13 pm

I have some available time and can support trail work if it is promoted here.

Without information being dispersed I get more time to ride instead.

I used to be an ATC but now just help trail work on my own when I see fit.

Trail days used to be fun times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby Arctic601 » February 26th, 2022, 10:01 pm

I check in frequentely, but it seems nothing happens here, but trail work gets done and trails remain so something must be happening, thnakfully.
Arctic601

Postby kbankes » February 28th, 2022, 10:13 am

I check in periodically and still use classifieds as both seller and buyer because I think that marketplace has higher quality participants vs the wild west of FB or CL. I use FB (SE MI Trail conditions + DTE) for everything else. Not ideal structure there but there is activity.
kbankes

Postby mmba7614 » February 28th, 2022, 1:25 pm

Even though I never even figured out how to change my name when the forum moved eons ago I still hit "new posts" about once a week ... mostly out of curiosity. That's about it anymore

Luckily I still have the email, though, in case I ever want to get on to that.

MMBA membership <membership@mmba.org>
Tue, Nov 15, 2005, 8:23 PM
to me

Greg Giles:

It's been a long time coming, but our new on-line membership program is up and running. We still need to make some changes to integrate it better with the web site, but the system is usable today.

You can now login to the membership software, check your status, update your address, change chapters, change you password, etc. You can also renew your membership through a secure PayPal interface. (You don't need a PayPal account, just your credit card.)

The membership software is at http://www.mmba.org/amember. Your membership software login is "mmba7614" and the password is "tosoqeqek". Note: The software may ask you to login twice the first time.

If you have an MMBA web site login...

...Your password may have been changed by the software last night. If you cannot login, try the new password "tosoqeqek". You can change the password by updating your profile at http://mmba.org/profile.php?mode=editprofile

If you didn't have an MMBA web site login before...

We created one for you. The login is "mmba7614" and the password is "tosoqeqek". If you want a different login, you must change it in the membership software. It will automatically update the web site login for you.

If you renewed by mail within the past 3 weeks...

Your information may not be in the system yet. We hope to be caught up by the end of the week.

If you any any problems or questions, email me and we'll get you straightened out. Thanks for your patience during this time. It's been a ton of work but we think it'll be worth it in the long run.

Todd Scott
MMBA Executive Director
execdir@mmba.org

mmba7614

Postby SteveF » February 28th, 2022, 1:43 pm

I pop in just occasionally. It's pretty dead 'round here.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby verbalkint99 » February 28th, 2022, 11:29 pm

After a hiatus from riding that lasted too long I was greatly disappointed to see the shell this site has become. It may be a age, but I find more utility and function in the structure of forums over that of social media. I check in from time to time, but know it is unlikely this will return to what it was.
verbalkint99

Postby ReidRules18 » March 1st, 2022, 12:43 pm

I used to be pretty active on this site from probably 2003-2011. In fact, I think that it also ended up helping get me into the sport even more as I met and learned from many others out there. I used to really enjoy this site, and still check it out. I will admit, facebook has taken over (which I hate). It is not as user friendly, the comments are just stupid, and it is not easy to search or see a common thread which is possible in a forum. I have to check the WMMBA facebook forum for trail conditions and end up getting on there

I will say that not all forums are dead, Bronco6g.com is a forum for the new Bronco and I am on there almost daily checking things out. Granted I haven't checked out the facebook equivalent.

This does bring be back, but man I have been doing this for 20 years now and can't believe the forum has been there for a majority of it. While I don't race anymore, I have really enjoyed just riding and camping. This forum just has several memories for me.

If you run into me, I likely am that solo guy at the trailhead, not taking any pictures or selfies to post on instagram or doing any group rides because I just don't get on facebook to check that stuff out. Still out enjoying the trails and having a blast.
ReidRules18

Postby flamingo » March 4th, 2022, 10:02 am

This forum just has several memories for me

Likewise. I have been on this forum for most of my mountain biking life. There is so many people that use to be quite active and don't show up anymore. I wonder if they still ride.

And for if anybody wondered. Looks like Lane is still riding. :wink: He was selling a Santa Cruz Blur either Pinkbike or Marketplace (Don't remember).
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby 2Old2BFast » March 4th, 2022, 3:49 pm

I miss people posting trail conditions regularly on this site. My problem with the Facebook group is that I want to know what it's like where I'm planning to ride next. I don't want to have to scroll through everyone who posted about their last ride somewhere in SE Michigan.
Facts can be proven to be true. Opinions are what you choose to believe. Don't confuse your opinions with facts. 8)
2Old2BFast

Next

Return to General