How many of us left??

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Re: How many of us left??

Postby jthomp » March 4th, 2022, 10:00 pm

Still pop in occasionally. Was never one to post up a lot, just read. It’s sad that FB has replaced forums.
Life BYGG is all there is.
jthomp

Postby ChrisInYpsi » March 5th, 2022, 8:04 pm

I still keep an eye on this place. Can’t stand the lack of order and structure on Facebook nor do I like the “publicness” of posts showing in my whole network of friends and family.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby Roy » March 25th, 2022, 10:10 pm

I am still here ,but just out of interest.
A rare muscle condition side lined me some time ago.
I got back on the bike last week, 2017 being my last road ride.
Oh well, I will be 80 this july, so I can't complaine.
I sure miss arguing bench cuts with Die,,
Trial Days were the best part of MMBA activities. Expanding Pontiac Like was crazy fun.
Any one out there that can remember ridding the Pukes at Pontiac?

Roy
Roy

Postby flamingo » March 28th, 2022, 9:05 am

Roy wrote:Any one out there that can remember ridding the Pukes at Pontiac?

Roy

I know the 2-mile hill is unoficially called The Puke hill. I got into MTB in 2006 and I heard stories of more climbs on Pontiac, those were probably the pukes. I was too late to the game. There is so much potential at PLRA for more trail. I wish DNR was more receptive for some serious reroutes and expansion. I used to ride that trail a lot. Now is just so eroded despite extensive maintenance.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby c0nsumer » March 28th, 2022, 11:53 am

flamingo wrote:

Roy

I know the 2-mile hill is unoficially called The Puke hill. I got into MTB in 2006 and I heard stories of more climbs on Pontiac, those were probably the pukes. I was too late to the game. There is so much potential at PLRA for more trail. I wish DNR was more receptive for some serious reroutes and expansion. I used to ride that trail a lot. Now is just so eroded despite extensive maintenance.

Big Puke and Little Puke were climbs back when the trailsystem was shared and not broken out into separate equestrian and hiking trails. This is all before my time as well, but I've spent a bit of time out there exploring and there's some really neat stuff adjacent to the mountain bike stuff.

Going for a walk on the horse and hiking trails and exploring the unmarked single track (not really ridable) to the southeast of Maceday/Cross Roads is pretty interesting.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby flamingo » March 29th, 2022, 1:27 pm

2Old2BFast wrote:I miss people posting trail conditions regularly on this site. My problem with the Facebook group is that I want to know what it's like where I'm planning to ride next. I don't want to have to scroll through everyone who posted about their last ride somewhere in SE Michigan.

+1000
flamingo

Postby flamingo » March 29th, 2022, 1:30 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
flamingo wrote:

Roy

Big Puke and Little Puke were climbs back when the trailsystem was shared and not broken out into separate equestrian and hiking trails. This is all before my time as well, but I've spent a bit of time out there exploring and there's some really neat stuff adjacent to the mountain bike stuff.

Going for a walk on the horse and hiking trails and exploring the unmarked single track (not really ridable) to the southeast of Maceday/Cross Roads is pretty interesting.

Actually are the equestrians actually using Pontiac at all. I have never seen a horse over there even in the days when frequented PLRA. Maybe we could kick them out. :wink:
flamingo

Postby c0nsumer » March 29th, 2022, 2:25 pm

I've seen them. <shrug> Not as frequent as those on bikes, but not uncommon either. Every time I've been there hiking I've seen, or seen signs of, horses.

It's kinda hard to see horses from the bike trail. There's only a couple places where the trails get really close, and the crossings are quite perpendicular.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Highlander » March 30th, 2022, 12:33 pm

Is still scan the forum on occasion, but not a lot of activity lately. I miss the Bent Rim Bugle also. With cell phones, Facebook is easy to access.
Gary
Highlander

Postby steveracer » March 31st, 2022, 12:06 pm

This forum is just a few clicks away as well. How is this any less accessible? Took me 2 clicks to get here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby PK » March 31st, 2022, 1:25 pm

The only thing I don't like about this forum is the difficulty of uploading pics.
Pete.
PK

Postby flamingo » March 31st, 2022, 8:09 pm

PK wrote:The only thing I don't like about this forum is the difficulty of uploading pics.
Pete.

This has been its Achilles heel. I wish it could be fixed somehow.
flamingo

Postby NovaraAspen » April 1st, 2022, 9:51 am

I just stopped in to see the April fools joke...

I miss this forum, but got busy with other things and it seemed to transition to FB.

Still riding though!
NovaraAspen

Postby mmba7614 » April 6th, 2022, 7:53 am

A lot of my personal work spaces have moved to SLACK.

Upsides:
  • Easy pictures
  • Easy phone access
  • Easy sorting of topics
  • Not Facebook

Downsides:
  • Free version archives messages after 50,000 messages. (For trail conditions, and this use case, I don't think it matters much IMO)

For fun, I'll post this here and see if it catches on.

Please DM me on Slack if you'd be interested in being an admin. If it happens to takes off, I don't want to be solely responsible... if it doesn't, I'll just delete.

https://join.slack.com/t/mmbahq/shared_invite/zt-16ooojv8m-EqfIA79HeQ9TqZjwBtBKrQ
mmba7614

Postby c0nsumer » April 6th, 2022, 8:12 am

The problem I personally would have with Slack is that it's kind of a push method. I don't want to get notifications of whatever people chat about, nor do I want to scroll back or search through a single chat thread trying to find relevant info. It also requires a dedicated app / site, putting it on equal footing to Facebook from my perspective.

So, sorry to say, but I think it shifts the same problem elsewhere, with the difficulty of needing to get users onboard.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to General