How many of us left??

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Re: How many of us left??

Postby mmba7614 » April 6th, 2022, 9:11 am

c0nsumer wrote:The problem I personally would have with Slack is that it's kind of a push method. I don't want to get notifications of whatever people chat about, nor do I want to scroll back or search through a single chat thread trying to find relevant info. It also requires a dedicated app / site, putting it on equal footing to Facebook from my perspective.

So, sorry to say, but I think it shifts the same problem elsewhere, with the difficulty of needing to get users onboard.

Hmm ...

* Notifications are easy to disable
* Separated topics per trail / topic (much like the forum) is easy; eliminating the "single chat"
* Search also works well

Strawman Topic Example:

Users could join / leave what they want, and get or not get notifications.

I'm not invested in the idea or anything (this will be my last post on the topic), but I do think it would solve the things I hear people complain about between the current alternatives (Facebook and Here).

** Aside -> This will also be my last time posting a picture here. OMG, forgot how painful that is (first world problems, LOL)
mmba7614

Postby steveracer » April 6th, 2022, 9:25 pm

Post a photo. Less than a minute to do so….Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby c0nsumer » April 7th, 2022, 7:24 am

As someone who ran this board for a while, here's some stuff on the photos.

Yes, it's a huge pain to not have image hosting built in. Why wasn't it turned on (under my watch)? Because image hosting gets both expensive both storage-wise and time-wise. The storage is just the ever-inflating cost of hosting the files, and time is because moderators need to keep an eye on the images. On boards where images are allowed there's a ridiculous amount of spam and other untoward stuff uploaded (think gore), and then there's CSAM (child sexual abuse material) which puts all sorts of things in a weird place. It sucks, but people abuse the *beep* out of image hosting sites and without frequent and heavy oversight they get bad very very fast.

So, the decision was made to have folks use other image hosting sites.

This forum hadn't had good support from the MMBA for a long time, and was really run by a couple of people who were already stretched thin, which was the most pragmatic choice. But *beep*, as of now I don't think anyone does any moderation nor even administration.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby KLydesdale » April 7th, 2022, 7:49 am

c0nsumer wrote:I've seen them. <shrug> Not as frequent as those on bikes, but not uncommon either. Every time I've been there hiking I've seen, or seen signs of, horses.

It's kinda hard to see horses from the bike trail. There's only a couple places where the trails get really close, and the crossings are quite perpendicular.

I have friends/acquaintances who ride their horses out there regularly. One tells me her husband laughs at her because they live on acreage in Brandon Township but she trailers her horse to PLRA to ride. She does it because really likes the trails there.
KLydesdale

Postby c0nsumer » April 7th, 2022, 8:48 am

KLydesdale wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:I've seen them. <shrug> Not as frequent as those on bikes, but not uncommon either. Every time I've been there hiking I've seen, or seen signs of, horses.

It's kinda hard to see horses from the bike trail. There's only a couple places where the trails get really close, and the crossings are quite perpendicular.

I have friends/acquaintances who ride their horses out there regularly. One tells me her husband laughs at her because they live on acreage in Brandon Township but she trailers her horse to PLRA to ride. She does it because really likes the trails there.

Plus there's all the extra trails on the other side of Teggerdine that are more open, and unless riding closed-to-bikes trails, one won't ever see horses there while on a bike.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Previous

Return to General