BIG THANKS to Novi Police and Fire

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

BIG THANKS to Novi Police and Fire

Postby hockeydaddy » February 18th, 2006, 9:27 am

Well last night I rode Novi and was having a great ride, it was a little tacky and I was doing some clearing of small trees. Then the bottom fell out :shock: I was going down the 2 track just after the Swamp Loop and missed the single track for the small log jump and was just going to pick it up at the merger. I was going at a nice clip and started to make my turn and SWOOOSH, my bike went out from under me from an ice patch and all I heard was "SNAP" in the direction of my ankle. The pain was like fire and I looked down and my right foot was facing the wrong way on my leg. Now the story gets interesting. I had landed in a large patch of ice and everytime I tried to move all I did was slip.

At this point I knew I was not going anywhere. I grabbed my cell from my pack and hit 911 and tried to explain to the distpatcher where the *beep* I was. Then to make matters worse I was starting to go into shock and I was rapidly losing my body temp from the damp clothes and lying on the ice. After about 10 minutes of trying to explain to 911 where I was located at in the trail system I could hear faint sirens in the far distance. Then to make matters even worse my cell started to cut out due to the extreme cold. I told 911 that I had a whistle on me....you know the one....and that I would constantly blow it so they could follow it to me.

About 30 minutes later I hear a voice yelling that they hear me and through the skeleton of the trees I see a figure in blue running towards me. As soon as he reached my side I thanked God. Now the tricky part was getting the unit to me. So now my gaurdian angel asked if I knew where we were to the front of the park. I explained to him where we were and he radioed to the rest of them and they could not acsess the park due to the gate locked. So the paramedic explained to me he had to leave me to guide the rest of them to me. So he left and about 10 minutes later he comes back with his chief and a guy with dogs and now I hear that they had cut the lock on the gate and the EMS unit was to big to fit down the 2 track. So the chief ordered them to use his suburban to come back there. Eventually they get it back there and load my shivering body in the back seat and the next words out of my mouth were..."My BIKE, What about my BIKE???" Then I
hear a familar voice say "I'll take care of it Joe." and I take a quick survey of faces and to my suprise here is Hans (he videos all of the races for the MMBA) taking pictures of the event. THANKS Hans!!!!!!!!!

Well we head down the 2 track back to the trailhead were we meet the EMS unit and they proceed to cut all my winter gear of me :( By this time I'm shacking violently from the shock and being so cold. Then I hear them all make groaning sounds when they finally remove my boot which I felt but not as bad after all the morphine. Then they were telling distpatch that from the point of my initial call to 911 to the point of them getting me out of the elements was 1 hour. Well of to the hospital we go and to make a long story a tad bit shorter they ahd to pump me up with more morphine and a consious sedative that was explained to me that I would be awake but will have no idea what was happening to me or I won't have any memory of what they did.

Well I came out of it about an hour later and I Looked down and my toes were now pointing in the right direction and I had atemp cast on till I see a orthepedic surgon on Monday. Now I would just like to stress the fact that ALL of us should and need to make sure we have a cell phone on us EVERYTIME we ride and PLEASE have a whistle on you for the above reason. If I would not of had those items things could of been so much different for me and I shudder to think about it. But what I really want to say ids I belive I owe my life to the fine folks that make up the Novi Police and Fire Department. They did everything they could to find me and get me out of there with as little discomfort as possible. I will be sending a letter to the city explaining my gratitude to them and all invilved....YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!

Well I guess I won't be riding for a while with this broken ankle and whatever else might be wrong but won't know that till Monday. So again please take the time to go out prepared every ride because you never know when it will happen to you.
Last edited by hockeydaddy on March 30th, 2006, 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Some people are alive today simply because it's against the law to kill them.......
Mountain Biker

http://hockeydaddy.blogspot.com/

http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
hockeydaddy

Postby Bryan_Mitchell » February 18th, 2006, 9:33 am

Good for you being prepared!
Get well soon.
Hans shoots video for the Novi Fire Department, thats why he would have been there, and is a real good guy as well.
I can also say I know the Novi Fire Department is a great bunch of guys!
Bryan
Bryan Mitchell Photography
http://www.bryanmitchell.com
Bryan_Mitchell

Postby hockeydaddy » February 18th, 2006, 9:37 am

Bryan_Mitchell wrote:Good for you being prepared!
Get well soon.
Hans shoots video for the Novi Fire Department, thats why he would have been there, and is a real good guy as well.
I can also say I know the Novi Fire Department is a great bunch of guys!
Bryan

Thanks Bryan!!! I was wondering "What the heck is Hans doing here." Hans is a great guy but aren't most photographers? :wink:
Some people are alive today simply because it's against the law to kill them.......
Mountain Biker

hockeydaddy

Postby alden » February 18th, 2006, 9:42 am

omg joe, that's a very scary story! i'm really glad you made it out okay and hopefully you'll have a speedy recovery just in time for the warm weather. if you need anything (like a beer run) let me know! take care, man!
i'm only nice to people i don't like

"you are accustomed to dropping a duex in your pants."--singletrack mind

"wtf is a duex anyway?!?!"--me
alden

Postby KonaDawg » February 18th, 2006, 10:11 am

WOW, that's some story! :shock:

I'm so glad you got out of there ok, Joe. It sucks that you're injured, but the outcome could've been much worse!

I hope that you have a quick recovery, and are back on the trails again soon.
Andrea
<a href="http://www.midarkhorseracing.com/" target="_blank" class="postlink">Dark Horse Racing</a>
KonaDawg

Postby Littlebike » February 18th, 2006, 10:23 am

And my wife wonders why I insist we ALWAYS have our cell phones and ID's even when doing completely benign activities like going for a walk, let alone riding a bike on a trail.

Good Luck!
Littlebike

Postby TheShadow » February 18th, 2006, 10:24 am

Wow! Glad you are ok. I always carry a cell phone and emergency card but never thought about the whistle. I will add that to my bag of tricks for sure!
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men... The Shadow knows!
TheShadow

Postby Paula » February 18th, 2006, 10:31 am

Wow, that's scary :shock: I'm glad you made it out of there ok!

Good story to reiterate the importance of bringing your cell phone...especially if riding alone. That was the single most important reason why I first got a cell back in 2000.

Heal up fast!
Paula

Postby G.Cook » February 18th, 2006, 10:32 am

Sounds like as story for Dirt Rag 8) Glad it didn't get any more serious. :shock:
G.Cook

Postby FrankenFuel95 » February 18th, 2006, 10:46 am

:(

Get well soon, Joe.

:(
Regards,
Larry

SUCCESS
Do whatever it is you choose to do as well as you can possibly do it.
-From a calendar hanging on my cubicle wall.

ENOUGH!
FrankenFuel95

Postby WICCMB » February 18th, 2006, 11:10 am

Wow Joe - that really puts things in perspective!! :shock: I've never likely riding alone in the winter, and this definitely illustrates why it could be a bad idea. Thank God you were well prepared.....I know I don't carry a whistle, but I need to dig up that one that you gave me not too long ago. Was that part of the goodie bag for the Hines Drive ride, or was that for something else? I don't recall.....
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby hockeydaddy » February 18th, 2006, 11:18 am

WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:Wow Joe - that really puts things in perspective!! :shock: I've never likely riding alone in the winter, and this definitely illustrates why it could be a bad idea. Thank God you were well prepared.....I know I don't carry a whistle, but I need to dig up that one that you gave me not too long ago. Was that part of the goodie bag for the Hines Drive ride, or was that for something else? I don't recall.....

Thanks Jon, the one I have is my old traffic one but the ones I was passing out I had pilfered from thr HFH.
Mountain Biker

hockeydaddy

Postby Spook » February 18th, 2006, 11:19 am

Glad to hear you made it out alright Joe, And a big thanks for the whistle tip, never heard of that before. I trhink their might be a run on whistles after this story.
-James

Co-TC Commerce

Semper Fi!

TeamTreeFarm
EMU Cycling
Spook

Postby batgrl » February 18th, 2006, 11:32 am

So hows the bike? :wink: :D

Wow kiddo, I'm glad you're ok.
whatever happened to............ ????
batgrl

Postby Summer of Glory » February 18th, 2006, 11:37 am