Sat, 42509 MMBA "Take a Kid/Adult Mtn Biking" Openhouse

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Sat, 42509 MMBA "Take a Kid/Adult Mtn Biking" Openhouse

Postby jsteinberg » April 20th, 2009, 11:17 am

So who's planning on coming to the "Take a Kid/Adult Mountain Biking Openhouse on Saturday, April 25th? I've ordered up a day of warm weather and fun mountain biking for all! Check out the flyer on the calendar. Just click on the April 25th event for more details. Again anyone that can ride a bike on two wheels can participate on the 5 - 6 miles of trail we're using at Lakeshore Park in Novi. Don't miss the "Fix a Flat" demonstration and "What to Take on the Trail".

REI and Macomb Bike and Fitness are bringing along mechanics for "minor" repairs. What other bike shops are joining us for the day so far: American Cycle and Fitness, D&D Bicycles and Fitness, and Trail's Edge Cyclery.

Come on out and check out the bikes and information on Mountain Biking. Bring your bike and helmet (Mandatory!) You must sign a waiver on site to participate.

Hope to see you Saturday!

Having technical difficulties with the calendar, so here's the flyer info:

The Michigan Mountain Biking Assoc. (MMBA) would like to invite you to
?Take a Kid/Adult Mountain Biking? OPENHOUSE
Saturday, April 25th from 10:00 a.m. ? 3:00 p.m.
Lakeshore Park (Meet at the Trailhead) located at 601 S. Lake Dr, Novi
Bring your bike and helmet (mandatory!)
Signed waiver required on site

Anyone that can ride a bike on 2 wheels can enjoy the trails involved in this event at Lakeshore Park. So kids, find an adult and bring them to the trail to experience this great sport. Adults, bring some kids for some fun bonding opportunities!

We will offer Mountain Biking information on safety, trail rules, tools & bike maintenance, and where to look for trail information and conditions. Our area mountain biking volunteers will accompany small groups through the woods on a 5-6 mile route, offering tips and suggestions to make for a positive Mountain Biking experience.

Come meet your local bike shops as they join us for the day!

Purpose of the event: Make more kids and adults aware of all the wonderful trails we have in our own backyards! Brighton Rec, Island Lake, Lakeshore Park, Maybury, Milford Trail, Pontiac Lake, Proud Lake..

RSVP would be helpful, but not mandatory: email metrosouth@mmba.org with ?Take a Kid/Adult Mtn Biking? as the subject. Include total # attending and kid's ages. Questions welcome.

More details to come at www.mmba.org/calendar/events Click on April 25th
Last edited by jsteinberg on April 23rd, 2009, 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jean
MMBP
Trail's Edge Cycling Team
jsteinberg

Re: Sat, 42509 MMBA "Take a Kid/Adult Mtn Biking" Openhouse

Postby beemane » April 20th, 2009, 12:21 pm

I plan to come out with my daughter (almost 11). Do I ride out with her? It would be great if she could get some pointers on the trail from someone other than me, you know how kids can get. She's got a new bike coming (hopefully by Saturday) and it would be good for her to learn how to take care of it as well.
Ellen
beemane

Postby jsteinberg » April 20th, 2009, 12:52 pm

Glad to hear you're coming. Please plan to bring your bike and helmet(mandatory) also. I am promoting that parents/adults join their kids on the guided trail ride - they're going to need you to take them on future outings, so let's get everyone prepared for the adventures ahead!

Most of the trail is pretty gentle, so you don't necessarily have to have a mountain bike. Most of the kids bikes are just fine. In our early days, my husband rode a touring bike on some of the trails (he quickly upgraded to a mountain bike). I would NOT ride a road bike with skinny tires on this trail - bad idea.

See you Saturday!
Jean
MMBP
jsteinberg

Postby jsteinberg » April 21st, 2009, 8:42 am

This event will go as planned - rain or shine! If we get too much rain for the trail to absorb, we'll just alter the trail route. Aside from the trail ride, we'll also have bike shops and information.
Jean
MMBP
jsteinberg

Postby BikerRisa » April 21st, 2009, 12:51 pm

I plan on being there with my 8 year old niece
BikerRisa

Postby jalopy jockey » April 21st, 2009, 9:14 pm

jsteinberg wrote:Again anyone that can ride a bike on two wheels can participate on the 5 - 6 miles of trail we're using at Lakeshore Park in Novi.

I could challenge you on that. My soon to be 5 year old 1st rolled on 2 wheels for any distance (more than 5 houses) earlier this month.

What would he benefit from the openhouse? Mom and Dad both ride trail regularly, so it's only a matter of time, before I took him to Stony. I just have no idea what the openhouse really entails.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby jsteinberg » April 22nd, 2009, 8:17 am

Not really sure why you are "Challenging" me? I'm just a volunteer for the MMBA that has spent tons of time attempting to share my passion for the sport of Mountain Biking with hundreds of potential users. As far as I know, this type of event has never been done in Metro South. I'm sure it will need to be tweaked - there is always room for improvement. The biggest problem has been getting volunteers to help plan the event. My volunteers are definately stepping up to the plate for the day of the event - a HUGE thanks to all that are planning on helping!

Now let's address your issues in a kind and gentle manner, so we don't scare off the kids and adults that really need to attend the event - especially those that don't have a strong connection to Mountain Biking at all.

I'm sure a parent would use good judgement and not bring a kid who was only able to ride a few houses down at a time. Parents understand we are going 5 - 6 miles, but we can stop, take breaks, eat snacks, drink water and make it a wonderful, fun event! There is no rush to complete the trail - it's not a race today (the next CPS race is Sun, May 3rd @ Ft Custer). I'm sure a parent would use good judgement and not bring a kid who was unable to make it around the block easily. The whole point of "riding on 2 wheels" is to clarify training wheels are not appropriate for Mountain Biking and this trail. Not everyone knows.

If the kids are good riders and comfortable on their bike, the benefit of the openhouse is that there will be newer riders of all ages! I ran a pilot program last October, which included kids 4 and up. We had 13 kids, 22 adults and a ton of fun. To be honest, the 4 year old was young, but a strong, determined rider. The kids fed off one another and were very open and comfortable riding over logs and bridges - their choice - no adult or parent pressure. It was amazing what those bikes could go over!

The openhouse is another avenue to inform and educate mountain bikers. Since you already ride trail, maybe you already know trail etiquette, where the area trails are located, which skills are necessary at those trails, what to carry, how to fix a flat, when to ride - trail conditions, that MMBA volunteers maintain a great % of the trails by having Trail Days, and how to become more involved in the sport.

I have another option for your family. If your kid isn't quite ready yet, wait until October. IMBA's national "Take a Kid Mountain Biking" event is on Saturday, October 3rd. I tentatively have the park scheduled for that event. That will probably be a ride only - no bike shops, minor mechanic support, displays on trails/State parks, etc. Just come and ride like we did last October. As a parent, you'll know what's best for your kid.

Hope this helps.
Jean
MMBP
jsteinberg

Postby Sherpaboy » April 22nd, 2009, 8:58 am

I could challenge you on that. My soon to be 5 year old 1st rolled on 2 wheels for any distance (more than 5 houses) earlier this month. What would he benefit from the openhouse? Mom and Dad both ride trail regularly, so it's only a matter of time, before I took him to Stony. I just have no idea what the openhouse really entails.

Why not help out by bringing some non-mtb families, friends, or neighbors and let the get hooked too. ?!!?
Last edited by Sherpaboy on April 22nd, 2009, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby jsteinberg » April 22nd, 2009, 9:06 am

WOW! 80 degrees for Saturday

Participants - if you have a water bottle or camelbak, please fill it and bring it out for the trail ride. You're going to need to push the fluids to beat the heat. REI will have some water bottles available, but a limited supply.

Don't forget the sunscreen!

See you Saturday
Jean
MMBP
jsteinberg

Postby jsteinberg » April 22nd, 2009, 9:40 am

Thanks to Bill and Loren for the bug spray alert. Participants, don't forget to bring your BUG SPRAY
Jean
MMBP
jsteinberg

Postby misscrashalot » April 22nd, 2009, 10:04 am

jalopy jockey wrote:
What would he benefit from the openhouse?

Well, Katie has never ridden out at Lakeshore and it is going to be a beautiful day, so why not take advantage of the event.
misscrashalot

Postby jalopy jockey » April 22nd, 2009, 12:10 pm

Jean I meant present a challenge not challenge your personally sorry. I really should stay off the computer whwen halfway though a growler of Mills IPA :oops: I also neglected to mention that in the last couple weeks he now regularly rides about a mile or so before he stops to catch his breath. I don't know what his farthest ride solo to date is at least 2 miles, but he regularly assists from the tagalong on mutli hour rides. He hasn't fallen in a week, even when he jumped the curb.

I just could not find info on if there will be 'instruction' by someone who is used to working with kids. If the main point is introducing people to the culture, and mainatiaince where to go etc. It sounds like a great idea and aplaud your efforts for it, but it may not be right for my family. Colin has been 'helping' with bike mainataince for well over a year, and is already talking about racing his silver bike this year cause its faster because it only has 2 wheels, he raced the kids races a few times last season, on his green bike with training wheels.

I don't know the trail if he decides he doesn't want to handle it after 2-3 miles is there a good bail out? I asked teh question poorly I admit in an attempt to understand if i should bring him. You stated anyone who can ride on 2 wheels well he can. but is he ready? I need more info to try to understand that

Sherp, If i knew kid who rode as much as Colin, who wasn't a mountainbiker already I would bring one, but he is the best I know. None of his friends or cousins have ditched the training wheels yet. The only other kids I know in the area are the BMX teens down the road, and I've already sent them to the skills park. And the only adult I know with interest we just bough his bike a montha go and he is registered to race in November.

Kristi, you make a good arguement. except then we'd need a sitter for Aaron, Kate can't ride and watch Colin on the road let alone trail she's too nervous. He's fearless.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby hockeydaddy » April 22nd, 2009, 4:03 pm

jalopy jockey wrote:I just could not find info on if there will be 'instruction' by someone who is used to working with kids. If the main point is introducing people to the culture, and mainatiaince where to go etc. It sounds like a great idea and aplaud your efforts for it, but it may not be right for my family. Colin has been 'helping' with bike mainataince for well over a year, and is already talking about racing his silver bike this year cause its faster because it only has 2 wheels, he raced the kids races a few times last season, on his green bike with training wheels.

I don't know the trail if he decides he doesn't want to handle it after 2-3 miles is there a good bail out? I asked teh question poorly I admit in an attempt to understand if i should bring him. You stated anyone who can ride on 2 wheels well he can. but is he ready? I need more info to try to understand that

I'll be there and I was a volunteer for 3 years with "Trips for Kids" so I can handle the ankle bitters!!! as far as the trail there are bailouts almost every mile to 2 miles so no sweat there....like I said this is a "NO PRESSURE" event and is structred to be fun!!!
Some people are alive today simply because it's against the law to kill them.......
Mountain Biker

http://hockeydaddy.blogspot.com/

http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
hockeydaddy

Postby jsteinberg » April 22nd, 2009, 5:35 pm

Thanks for handling that one Hockeydaddy!

Us volunteers have either had kids or helped numerous new bikers tackle the sport of mountain biking. Several members of the Spokejunkies helped tweak my family's riding skills 5 years ago, when we started mtn biking. Now, my youngest rides for Mesa State College out of Grand Junction, CO.

The volunteers at the Tree Farm (Lakeshore Park) have done an excellent job installing trail maps throughout the mountain bike trail. They are really easy to read - so anyone can find their way out from multiple positions. That is one of the reasons why I chose this park. Even if you're half way around, you can find a shortcut back to the trailhead.

Let's have fun!
Jean
MMBP
jsteinberg

Postby beemane » April 23rd, 2009, 9:55 am

jsteinberg wrote: You must sign a waiver on site to participate.

Can I sign a waiver for a kid that's not mine? My daughter might bring a friend.
Thanks
Ellen
beemane

Next

Return to General