Pine Knob Ski Swap and Winter Sports Equipment Sale

Everything related to mountain biking that's not covered in the forums below

Pine Knob Ski Swap and Winter Sports Equipment Sale

Postby black2003ss » October 15th, 2009, 3:45 pm

I know there are a lot people on here who do winter sports like snowboarding and alpine skiing.

This is the Pine Knob SKi Patrol's annual fund raiser. I have volunteered with the PKSP for almost 15yrs. Money raised from this event supports our non-profit patrol for the entire season to buy equipment, supplies, maintain training and facilities, etc. It's a great place to snag some fantastic deals on new and used equipment. Some local ski shops even bring left-over inventory from the previous year and rentals/demos. You can save hundreds of $$$ from buying new. Or, get rid of that used stuff you never use anymore in your basement or garage.

I know this isn't MTB related, but consulted a site administrator and said if it became a problem, this could be moved.

October 31st, and November 1st

OCT. 29th -THURSDAY - EQUIPMENT DROP OFF, 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM

OCT. 30th - FRIDAY - EQUIPMENT DROP OFF, 1:00 PM - 9:00 PM

OCT. 31st - SATURDAY - SALES, 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Nov. 1st - SUNDAY -SALES, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM

Nov. 1st - EQUIPMENT PICK UP, 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM

Sorry, we can only accept VISA personal checks or cash only

PLEASE - NO ITEMS UNDER $5.00

Click to Download a Ski Swap Flyer
http://www.pksp.org/Documents/Ski_Swap_Flyer_09.pdf

If you need information regarding our ski swap. Please call 248.625.0800

PLEASE NOTE:
There is a total 26% commission on all sales - 20% goes to support the operations and essential services of the Pine Knob Ski Patrol, and 6% is for Michigan sales tax.

(example - If you price an item for $100 and it sells, you would receive $74, the Patrol receives $20 and $6 goes for state sales tax)
Last edited by black2003ss on October 16th, 2009, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
black2003ss

Re: Pine Knob Ski Swap and Winter Sports Equipment Sale

Postby blacksword » October 15th, 2009, 4:01 pm

Is this all downhill, or will there be Cross Country as well?
In transition to the northland.
The content of my posts are not the opinions of the MMBA, and should not be construed as such
blacksword

Postby black2003ss » October 15th, 2009, 4:07 pm

There is a limited amount of cross country equipment typically available, usually older used equipment and selection has been poor in my opinion but it is there, it is mostly geared to downhill and snowboarding. Never hurts to come out and browse around, admission is free. Also, you are welcome to sell anything winter related. If it doesn't sell, you simply pick up the equipment. If it does sell, you pick up a check on Sunday Afternoon/evening. We wish that we had more cross country gear, but unfortunately, advertising is limited and typically only reaches downhill skiers and clubs.
black2003ss

Postby 300hp » October 16th, 2009, 12:35 am

This will be the first year in the past 5 years that I have not worked at the swap. I urge everyone to go, particularly if you have a growing kid or an aspiring high school racer. Pine Knob has the best swap in the area imho. The only I advice I can give is not to be herded into buying certain product. Keep an open mind and you'll do really well. The kids setups are where its at.

And, if your buying boots, PLEASE measure your foot, exactly, before you come in. And, no, I know it seems more comfortable, but if the boot is bigger than your TRUE foot size, I almost guarantee its too big. I.e., if your foot is a 9.5, but you wear a 10 shoe because its more comfortable and fits, then a 28.0 boot is going to be too big 99% of the time. No, you don't need a bigger boot for "two pairs of socks". one thin non cotton pair will always be warmer. YES, you want your toes to touch the end of the liner when you first put the boot on. NO, until you kick your foot back int the boot and buckle the (top first, flex the boot, then bottoms) can you even attempt to evaluate the size. Toes touching when your standing straight, and slightly pulling off the front of the boot when you flex the boot forward is a starting point for fit. Don't come to a swap expecting a miracle boot fit. Come expecting to find a boot that could work for you, proably with a little effort later, for a very good price.

best advice I can give after stuffing thousands of feet into boots at swaps. Its a different world at a swap then a store.

Get some great deals, get after it, and support the ski patrol who you don't notice until you really need to notice them.

Hunter
300hp

Postby spwrozek » October 16th, 2009, 7:51 am

300hp wrote:And, if your buying boots, PLEASE....

This is good advice... but the best advice I can give is to never buy a used boot. It is the most important part of the whole setup (ski or board). If the feet are unhappy then the body is unhappy and the ride will suck. If I had say a $350 budget I would go to the swap and try to pick up some skis or a board (w/bindings) for around $150 and try to find new boots for around $200. Your feet will thank you.

That said...I think I may be dropping off some boots for sale... lol
spwrozek

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » October 16th, 2009, 10:44 am

lol, I was kinda staying out of this one because I see some bad things come into our store from a swap and I am already perceived as negative enough... There are steals and they are rip offs, buyer beware.
Hunter gave some good advice about boot fit. you want a performance fit. don't expect your little one to grow into it, your buying used equipment make sure it fits right this year and get rid of it next year. make sure your fitting boots with your knees bent, standing up straight will jam your toe forward. you don't ride like this (straight up), so it does not matter how it feels standing straight up or taking a step (also drives your toes forward). ideally, you'll make a slight amount of contact with the front of the boot.
don't buy snowboard equipment that is far out of date. every binding should have a toe cap (indicator that it is newer than 6 years old), boots should have a good inner liner (maybe not for the really little ones, but anyone over 8 should probably have the support). don't even look at step-ins. don't buy an advanced board for a beginner/non aggressive intermediate, hoping they will progress into the equipment. it will probably make them hate the sport (good advice for a skier as well).
happy hunting!
Responsible Consumer Announcement: If the place you buy mountain biking gear from is not at trail days, you need to find a real mountain bike shop.
HiptonRadcliffIII

Postby 3d » October 16th, 2009, 12:22 pm

HiptonRadcliffIII wrote:don't buy snowboard equipment that is far out of date. every binding should have a toe cap (indicator that it is newer than 6 years old

my bindings are less than 6 years old and don't have whatever this "toe cap" thing is, please explain
in it to ride, not to accessorize.
3d

Postby spwrozek » October 16th, 2009, 12:42 pm

3d wrote:
HiptonRadcliffIII wrote:don't buy snowboard equipment that is far out of date. every binding should have a toe cap (indicator that it is newer than 6 years old

my bindings are less than 6 years old and don't have whatever this "toe cap" thing is, please explain

Developed by Tech Nine (if I have my facts straight) and then made popular by Burton. Personally I hate it and don't ride with toe caps. It seems like most companies use a toe strap that is convertible. I have Rome 390's (my favorite bindings ever) on both my boards and the toe strap stretches and can be placed over the toes or on the end of the boot. I tried to get used to it but I never was able too. I always felt like I rode a lot worse then when it toe cap style.

The theory behind it makes sense though and I could feel that it does do a better job of locking you in... Hipton feel free to expand...

I agree with Hip on the rest of the board stuff.
Last edited by spwrozek on October 16th, 2009, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spwrozek

Postby black2003ss » October 16th, 2009, 1:07 pm

Thank you for the support everyone. For the most part, there is some good advice above.

I would like to note that several of the members are competent in boot fitting. Also, the ski shops that participate provide their employees to help guide clients in selecting proper equipment. The biggest mistake is to not ask for help while there. There are plenty of capable people on hand to make sure you get a good deal and the right fit. Like anything else, there is always a small risk associated with buying used, however, the prudent buyer who does their research will save a significant amount of money over buying new.

The kids gear goes fast and I recommend Saturday morning to get the best selection on any gear for anyone. There is typically a line in the morning prior to opening the doors.
black2003ss

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » October 16th, 2009, 4:12 pm

3d wrote:

unless they are a convertible strap like rome uses, you probably got some entry level bindings that use older technology.
Last edited by HiptonRadcliffIII on October 16th, 2009, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Responsible Consumer Announcement: If the place you buy mountain biking gear from is not at trail days, you need to find a real mountain bike shop.
HiptonRadcliffIII

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » October 16th, 2009, 4:32 pm

spwrozek wrote:
3d wrote:

Developed by Tech Nine (if I have my facts straight) and then made popular by Burton. Personally I hate it and don't ride with toe caps. It seems like most companies use a toe strap that is convertible. I have Rome 390's (my favorite bindings ever) on both my boards and the toe strap stretches and can be placed over the toes or on the end of the boot. I tried to get used to it but I never was able too. I always felt like I rode a lot worse then when it toe cap style.

The theory behind it makes sense though and I could feel that it does do a better job of locking you in... Hipton feel free to expand...

I agree with Hip on the rest of the board stuff.

I believe the "toe cap" was developed by flux (Japanese company), they settled the patent infringement with burton by burton agreeing to let them make ICS compatible discs (burton's new "proprietary" mounting system). I think technine was next on board and everyone kinda came out with either a toe cap or convertible strap around the same time.
I am also a fan of the rome or union style toe strap, it seems to hold better, burton has had a few revisions to their toe cap design that have made them more like a convertible strap. I like the rome targa's I have quite a bit.
I'd guess that you might have an issue with the way your boots fit if the toe cap seemed strange to you (maybe its loose, too soft in the front, strange toe box, etc). or maybe your boots are stiffer and you need to adjust your input to the change in your equiptments responsiveness. in other words, let the equipment work rather than over compensating. I'd have to know a little bit more about when you noticed a decrease in performance or ability to give more specific advice.
since you have rome bindings, you can change the angle and apply more pressure vertically than horizontally. the huge advantage to the toe cap is that it locks your heal in the binding and makes it more responsive. it also spreads the pressure across the boot rather than creating a pressure point. The first gen of toe caps had some disadvantages, but I think the new stuff is pretty hard to find fault in.
HiptonRadcliffIII

Postby spwrozek » October 16th, 2009, 8:51 pm

I could definitely feel the benefits when I put it over the toe. I think the biggest problem is that I didn't really give it a fair shake. Obviously it changes how responsive the board is (for the better really) but I found it very annoying. I am probably going to start the season trying it out again. I think it will be like getting used to Magne and Rocker, just take some time. And really it could be something along the line of needing to change my angles or stance width.

For reference I this will be my 10th season boarding (skied prior and ski now). I was an instructor for 3 years. In college I would put in 50-60 days on the hill. (living in Jackson hampers that...) I either have my Rome Solution with 390's or Libtech Skatebanana with 390's.

Thanks for clearing up the toe cap history as well.
spwrozek

Postby oldandlame » October 17th, 2009, 7:32 am

I would like to note that several of the members are competent in boot fitting. Also, the ski shops that participate provide their employees to help guide clients in selecting proper equipment. The biggest mistake is to not ask for help while there. There are plenty of capable people on hand to make sure you get a good deal and the right fit. Like anything else, there is always a small risk associated with buying used, however, the prudent buyer who does their research will save a significant amount of money over buying new.

Yea, Summit Sports and Schumakers two of the worst bootfitting shops in the country and just look at the level of boots for most patrol either old and junky or too stiff for their level. I wouldn't reccomend any of these options for boots. Go to a good shop and get a boot. Skis are usually the same price as the clearance rack in a shop that are new at the swap too. Race equipment from a swap might be good if you don't care about getting the right stuff for your kid. I used to work in a ski store and say some pretty horrible things coming from a swap like world cup plug boots sold to a 13 year old 90 lb girl 2 sizes too big. There are some good deals at the swap, and the pk one is the best patrol swap there is. Good luck :D
oldandlame

Postby 300hp » October 18th, 2009, 2:32 am

Hi. welcome to MMBA. thanks for joining to make such a productive and insightful comment! We really appreciate it! I can tell you contributions will be invaluable to the community here, keep them coming. We need more people like you around.
300hp

Postby KLydesdale » October 18th, 2009, 8:51 am

300hp wrote:Hi. welcome to MMBA. thanks for joining to make such a productive and insightful comment! We really appreciate it! I can tell you contributions will be invaluable to the community here, keep them coming. We need more people like you around.

Yeah this is a MMBA forum. So why do you insist on continuing to discuss ski and snowboards here? This whole discussion isn't exactly invaluable to this forum either.
Last edited by KLydesdale on October 19th, 2009, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
KLydesdale

Next

Return to General