Tires for Marij Gesick

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Tires for Marij Gesick

Postby flamingo » July 11th, 2019, 11:21 am

I know this question seems quite cliche.

Just got a transfer. Will be riding 27.5 trail bike. I currently have a spare wheelset with a Nobby Nick and Rock Razor tire on it. The Rock Razor is rather in a crappy shape and not the best for the grip. What tires are the folks riding in Marquette?

Thanks.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Re: Tires for Marij Gesick

Postby c0nsumer » July 11th, 2019, 12:42 pm

This'll be my third year doing Marji, and I've really, really liked the Specialized Ground Control (rear) and Purgatory (front) in 29x2.3" for the race and up there in general. I have the cut-resistant GRID version and I've never had a problem with them. They roll surprisingly fast on downstate stuff too, yet have plenty of knob for when it's a bit icky and on gravely stuff and rock. Mine are getting worn, and I'm planning to replace them with the same.

Kristen uses the 27.5" version of this tire (also 2.3" and GRID) and likes it as well.

FWIW, I've also done my fastest Poto and PLRA and River Bends laps on the same tire down here. They are a great all around aggressive XC / Trail tire.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby flamingo » July 11th, 2019, 4:23 pm

Thanks Steve!
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby talking head » August 1st, 2019, 6:32 am

I’ve had good luck with 27.5x 2.6 Nobby Nics there, if yours is in good shape and not the liteskin version you could save some cash and run that.

I’ve also run Vitorria Mezcals in Marquette, although not during the race, liked them as well and pricing on those tires are pretty reasonable. I did not care for the Mezcal in the front in wet conditions, however.

Good luck, have fun!
talking head

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques