Flat pedal/Shoe combo

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Flat pedal/Shoe combo

Postby MLKuhl » October 21st, 2019, 3:18 pm

Been riding clippless for a while now, want to try flats out for a change. My clippless shoes need to be replaced so I think instead of getting another set I'm going to try something different.

So those who ride flats, what's a good/economical solution to try? I currently have some Wellgo MG 1 Mangnesium pedals to use and looking at 5/10 freerider shoe's.

Thanks
Matt
MLKuhl

Re: Flat pedal/Shoe combo

Postby scat silvurz » October 21st, 2019, 3:38 pm

I use Kona's Wah Wah 2 pedal and FiveTen's Freeride shoe - it's a little less bulky than their 'Impact' shoe (I also have a few of those too), biggest difference is that the freerider model has breathable panels above the toe and on the sides of the shoe - I can actually feel some airflow while riding if I spread my toes a bit. Incredibly comfortable, and I sometimes even use them for hiking.
FiveTen's Freeride shoe - $100

https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-ten-freerider-men%27s-mountain-bike-shoe/BTM01.html?dwvar_BTM01_color=Night_Grey_253884&cgid=#q=freerider&lang=default&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrrXtBRCKARIsAMbU6bHGE3JQ6TL-h5xgF-LQpiWdCRVkzKVSuyj6QeZlZT1ApYfbYJ5wGIkaAmq0EALw_wcB&start=17

Kona Wah Wah 2 - My absolute favorite pedal right now - inexpensive ($60!!!), lightweight and bombproof!
https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Wah-Wah-Plastic-Platform-Pedals-Black?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrrXtBRCKARIsAMbU6bGZcCZlLVTlMv9aPD4HiH3-y03y3AZKFOSdchr9nC2UDAN-bvQBAMwaAkvfEALw_wcB

I would say those Wellgo pedals will get you by, but platform pedals have evolved quite a bit since then - they are now wider, longer, much lower profile, and are often concave (slightly) to mesh with your shoe even better - even the pins are better nowadays. I'd recommend getting new pedals too, if you feel you like how your wellgo's are meshing with your shoe. I've used clip-in style pedals for years (prior to 2000), and after racing a dual slalom race in 1997, and running flats for the first time, I knew my days using clip-in pedals were numbered. I love the freedom, and the sticky rubber the new shoes offer, in combination with the platforms, is just as good as clipping in, without the hazards of locked-in tipovers, and being trapped in one foot position for the whole ride.
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby mtbfree » October 22nd, 2019, 2:01 pm

MLKuhl wrote:So those who ride flats, what's a good/economical solution to try? I currently have some Wellgo MG 1 Mangnesium pedals to use and looking at 5/10 freerider shoe's

The MG-1 / Freerider combo is tried and true. It's probably the most economical way to get on flat pedals without sacrificing too much on performance. There are better pedals and shoes available, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

I currently have a pair of Freerider Pro's, which is just an improved version of the freerider that's lighter and stiffer and fits my foot type better. I've found they're better for long XC rides than the original.

As far as pedals go, there are lots of options out there that are thinner and have a bigger platform than the MG-1, but I'm not sure any of them are more reliable. The MG-1 should give you plenty of grip, but if you have big feet, you might want something with more support.
I'm just here to ride...

-'15 Transition Scout
-'15 Trek Session 88
-'04 Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

Postby MLKuhl » October 26th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Thanks for the response.

I ordered the Freerider shoes and will give them a try with the MG-1's.

I've done a couple rides with those pedals and some Merrill hiking shoes and they gripped fairly well. Just on some rooty downhills did I have some slipping around. I'm sure there is a learning curve and I will have to change my riding habits a bit, I've been riding clippless since I've started and it's amazing how much I've learned to depend on them to keep my feet firmly planted.
Matt
MLKuhl

Postby crustaceous_flora » October 27th, 2019, 1:23 am

I currently have 510 Freeriders and the OneUp composite pedals. Insane grip. The only time my feet come off is if i have a massive pedal strike.

Welcome to the flats world, hope you never go back! :)
crustaceous_flora

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques