Redshift Suspension Seatpost/Stem Review..

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Redshift Suspension Seatpost/Stem Review..

Postby DynoDon » January 27th, 2020, 6:45 am

I just got the Redshift Shockstop Seatpost, I've had their Stem for over a year, both on my gravel bike, both do what they should without adding a ton of weight, the stem has enough travel to ease the shock, the seat post once dialed in is a game changer on gravel/road, it just plain works, smoothing out the roughest roads, I've yet to bottom it out, it just kind of floats, 35mm of travel, with 20% sag for the seat post, the stem has 20mm travel, it doesn't seem like much, but it takes the jolts out, on gravel roads/paved roads. Specialized is suspending the rider on the Diverge, and Roubaix, on gravel it makes sense to suspend the rider not the bike, its just for comfort, not traction like a F/S mountain bike. Together these do stop the Shock, Shockstop is the right name.

SEATPOST/STEM REVIEW... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI9r5Kp_3Xs
Last edited by DynoDon on February 10th, 2020, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Re: Redshift Suspension Seatpost/Stem Review..

Postby bikeguy4life » January 30th, 2020, 3:51 pm

DynoDon, thanks for your thoughts on the Redshift Shockstop Seatpost. I have been leaning towards getting a suspension post for a few years now on my XC hardtail. I HATE how bulky/ugly all the currently available posts on the market are and have been watching the developments/seen chatter about this seatpost for some time now with interest. All the chatter I've seen has been for road/gravel use, what are your thoughts about use on an MTB? I ride a hardtail, XC 29er, I'm NOT looking to turn my bike into a full suspension rig, just trying to cut down on the hits and ease the beating my back takes. For reference, other options I've been looking at to smooth out the ride on my whip have been the Niner RDO and the Syntace HiFlex seatposts, but I think something like the Redshift fits more with my needs. How was availability, did you order directly off their site or through an LBS? Looks like they are available now, but when I last checked late 2019, the Redshift site indicated they wouldn't be available until about now.
2017 Giant XTC 2 29/27.5+
2009 Vassago Jabberwocky SS
2013 Giant TCR SL4
bikeguy4life

Postby DynoDon » January 30th, 2020, 4:05 pm

bikeguy4life wrote:DynoDon, thanks for your thoughts on the Redshift Shockstop Seatpost. I have been leaning towards getting a suspension post for a few years now on my XC hardtail. I HATE how bulky/ugly all the currently available posts on the market are and have been watching the developments/seen chatter about this seatpost for some time now with interest. All the chatter I've seen has been for road/gravel use, what are your thoughts about use on an MTB? I ride a hardtail, XC 29er, I'm NOT looking to turn my bike into a full suspension rig, just trying to cut down on the hits and ease the beating my back takes. For reference, other options I've been looking at to smooth out the ride on my whip have been the Niner RDO and the Syntace HiFlex seatposts, but I think something like the Redshift fits more with my needs. How was availability, did you order directly off their site or through an LBS? Looks like they are available now, but when I last checked late 2019, the Redshift site indicated they wouldn't be available until about now.

They are saying its not for MTB, but its a smooth 35mm of travel nothing like my Epic, but I think it would take the harshness out of the trail, I've hit some big bumps and at 200+ lbs it hasn't bottomed out so I don't see why not. I bought it on the last campain they ran, I got it at $189 I think, a game changer on the gravel bike. If you don't like it on the HT, buy a gravel bike, they are great rides and at 27.5 you can shim it for any bike, or I don't think you would have a problem selling it, just let someone ride it, they will be sold. I bet it would be good on a Fat bike too..
DynoDon

Postby DynoDon » February 5th, 2020, 9:54 am

I just got back from the chiropractor, he said my lower back showed 50% improvement on the computer graph he uses,, I've been riding the gravel bike a lot with the Redshift seat post, training for Waterloo Grit n Gravel, but I did ride the rigid Fat Bike with no suspension seat post too, those post holes were torture, I may have gotten even better results if I had a Redshift seat post on the Fat Bike, or just didn't ride on the post holed trails.
DynoDon

Postby flamingo » February 6th, 2020, 9:07 am

I would have one on order right now ONLY IF they made them with 31.6 diameter :( . I would put it on my hardtail which I use mainly for gravel roads.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby DynoDon » February 6th, 2020, 9:53 am

flamingo wrote:I would have one on order right now ONLY IF they made them with 31.6 diameter :( . I would put it on my hardtail which I use mainly for gravel roads.

the sell shims to make it work on any bike...
DynoDon

Postby flamingo » February 6th, 2020, 10:09 am

DynoDon wrote:
flamingo wrote:I would have one on order right now ONLY IF they made them with 31.6 diameter :( . I would put it on my hardtail which I use mainly for gravel roads.

the sell shims to make it work on any bike...

Thanks! Did not realize those things existed. Even Tree Fort Bikes has them.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby DynoDon » February 6th, 2020, 10:24 am

No problem, keep us posted if you get one... I wish I had got one on the first go round on Kickstarter, they were $129... they sold almost $500,000.00 on the first Kickstarter.. this is not the old mtb clunky stuff, this is made for road/gravel bikes, I may try this stuff out on the Fat Boy, those postholes are *beep* on this old man..
DynoDon

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques