Local Rear Shock Service

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Local Rear Shock Service

Postby Ecruz » March 5th, 2021, 1:45 pm

I have a Rock Shox Monarch Plus that needs a refresh/rebuild. Does anyone know of a local shop that does the work in-house, instead of sending it out? I live in Wixom, work in Ann Arbor. So I'd consider, Ann Arbor, Brighton, Plymouth, Livonia, Dearborn, Northville, Novi, Fenton, Howell, Waterford, Pontiac, Royal Oak, etc..., as local :)

Thanks,
Eric
Ecruz

Re: Local Rear Shock Service

Postby Roy » March 21st, 2021, 8:00 am

Ecruz,
since no one has answered yoy question, I will answer a slightly different question.
You can buy a Kit and do it your self. However, some shocks have a large negitive spring resivior. These shocks require caution when you take them apart. Once apart the job is easy. Lots of youtube video out there on the subject.
Fraser Cycle in Fraser is a good shop, but to far from you.
I bet you hava already found a local shop to reseal your shock.

Happy Trails

Roy
Roy

Postby Ecruz » March 23rd, 2021, 2:27 pm

Every shop that I talked to, sends them back to SRAM, so I ended up going that route.
Ecruz

Postby b_b » March 23rd, 2021, 3:57 pm

Ecruz wrote:Every shop that I talked to, sends them back to SRAM, so I ended up going that route.

That is also the case for my Specialized suspension and Fox from what I hear. Seems to be the norm to send them out. I was fortunate Specialized was a few weeks while I heard Fox has been taking months. Don't know about RockShox tho. I have a sid brain and I understand Specialized has their own service centers.
b_b

Postby jcrazyjj » March 25th, 2021, 8:11 pm

Have you talked to Zach at Rochester Bike Shop?
jcrazyjj

Postby Roy » March 30th, 2021, 8:01 am

The manufacture is always the best bet, even if your local bike shop has a expert wrench. The Manufacture will often update your shock to the latest design.

C'Dale replaced every part in My Lefty from a spring system to an Air Spring system and that the flate rate ( I think it was $75 many years ago -probably a lot higher now)

Roy
Roy

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques