Best smart trainer for 29er MTB

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Best smart trainer for 29er MTB

Postby BLOOMIS914 » January 21st, 2018, 1:05 am

Just like the title says. I am looking for 1st hand experience for the latest Smart Trainer(s) for 29er MTB. I own 3 29ers - No Road bikes. I have never used a trainer before but want to stay active through the winter in my basement workout room. Thanks in advance.
BLOOMIS914

Re: Best smart trainer for 29er MTB

Postby galaxydean » January 22nd, 2018, 7:45 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-3-6KDu1fY I have been investigating these myself. Thought this vid might be helpful.
dean
galaxydean

Postby c0nsumer » January 22nd, 2018, 8:31 am

Consult DC RainMaker: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/10/ann ... tions.html

Your biggest concern for an MTB is axle type.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby mmba7614 » January 22nd, 2018, 9:15 am

I've attempted to used my Kickr ... but beware. The 148 Axle adapters rub my Trek ProCal frame. Wahoo is cool about it, and they are sending newly machined adapters, but it would be cooler if it just worked.

Another issue with "SmartTrainers" and mountain bikes in virtual rides (not workouts, but rides) is that you will totally Spin Out. I don't know about other trainers ... but if you are "into" Zwift or something of the sort, I like the Kickr, as I can connect Zwift via ANT+ and then also the Wahoo App via Bluetooth. This allows me to compensate for the 42T ring on my mountain bike by adding "virtual headwind" from the Wahoo app. This works. Would be nice if Zwift built this kinda thing in, though. It kinda sucks having that complexity for group rides or free rides.

**edit** I'm not that big of a stud.

--Compensate for 42T ring on CX bike, or the 34T ring on MTB-- lol.
mmba7614

Postby c0nsumer » January 22nd, 2018, 12:18 pm

mmba7614 wrote:Another issue with "SmartTrainers" and mountain bikes in virtual rides (not workouts, but rides) is that you will totally Spin Out. I don't know about other trainers ... but if you are "into" Zwift or something of the sort, I like the Kickr, as I can connect Zwift via ANT+ and then also the Wahoo App via Bluetooth. This allows me to compensate for the 42T ring on my mountain bike by adding "virtual headwind" from the Wahoo app. This works. Would be nice if Zwift built this kinda thing in, though. It kinda sucks having that complexity for group rides or free rides.

Have you tried changing the resistance curve via the Wahoo app? I've got a CycleOps Hammer and it doesn't support doing this, but I think that changing the curve may alleviate your issue.

EDIT: See here: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en- ... evel-Mode-
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby mmba7614 » January 22nd, 2018, 2:51 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
Have you tried changing the resistance curve via the Wahoo app? I've got a CycleOps Hammer and it doesn't support doing this, but I think that changing the curve may alleviate your issue.

EDIT: See here: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en- ... evel-Mode-

I have not tired that, but without trying, I think that is for "level mode" i.e. "act like a non-smart trainer mode".
The issue I am trying to address, specifically is when in "Sim" mode, I believe Zwift just sets the pitch only ... I need that to be "harder"
mmba7614

Postby c0nsumer » January 22nd, 2018, 3:14 pm

mmba7614 wrote:I have not tired that, but without trying, I think that is for "level mode" i.e. "act like a non-smart trainer mode".
The issue I am trying to address, specifically is when in "Sim" mode, I believe Zwift just sets the pitch only ... I need that to be "harder"

Hmm. Now I'm curious.

I do suspect that because Zwift also wants to bring speed into the equation (since it's virtual riding) then you're probably right; not an option with MTB gearing.

But, of course, for TrainerRoad fixed workouts in Erg mode, it won't matter at all. (FWIW, I pick my gearing in Erg mode for TR based on straight chainline. So mostly I just pick big or little front ring depending on the kind of flywheel speed I want.)
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby BLOOMIS914 » April 1st, 2018, 1:24 pm

Has anyone dropped the dough on the Peloton bike?
BLOOMIS914

Postby c0nsumer » April 1st, 2018, 7:48 pm

BLOOMIS914 wrote:Has anyone dropped the dough on the Peloton bike?

I wouldn't because I want to ride a proper bicycle to build normal cycling fitness. A Peloton bike is more akin to a spin bike used in such classes. Fixed gear, different kind of workout...
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby BLOOMIS914 » April 2nd, 2018, 8:56 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
BLOOMIS914 wrote:Has anyone dropped the dough on the Peloton bike?

I wouldn't because I want to ride a proper bicycle to build normal cycling fitness. A Peloton bike is more akin to a spin bike used in such classes. Fixed gear, different kind of workout...

Thanks. I figured as much. I just need to get a regular ole trainer next winter. Thanks
BLOOMIS914

Postby BLOOMIS914 » October 9th, 2018, 10:14 pm

Just to circle back here. I bought the Peloton bike in July and have used it about a half dozen times on rain days when i can’t get out on the trails. I absolutely love it and the classes are great and kick your ass. Tons of variety for live, previous or just scenic road or trail rides. Can’t wait to spend the winter training on this while shopping for a Fat Bike. Definitely recommend.
BLOOMIS914

Postby c0nsumer » October 9th, 2018, 10:16 pm

Do you find it's akin to real cycling, or more like spin stuff (fixed gearing to a quite-massive flywheel)?
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby b_b » October 11th, 2018, 6:52 am

I am curious why do you think spin bikes are not very helpful? Sure the closer to real the better, but when we had spin classes at my old office I was going a few times a week and found it very helpful and especially over the winter. I miss that place!
b_b

Postby c0nsumer » October 11th, 2018, 7:34 am

I think spin bike type stuff definitely helps and adds fitness for sure. But it's not the same as actually riding your bike. Therefore, I prefer my own bike on a smart trainer which I find to be much closer to riding outdoors.

The times I've done spin bike stuff it was neat, but it felt closer to, say, rowing with my legs vs. riding a bike. It felt like I had to engage with the bike a bit differently.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby branden » October 11th, 2018, 12:16 pm

> The times I've done spin bike stuff it was neat, but it felt closer to, say, rowing with my legs vs. riding a bike. It felt like I had to engage with the bike a bit differently.

I have a Schwinn AC Performance spin bike that I ride throughout the season and a lot during winter. The flywheel weighs 31lbs...I can understand how you could feel like you are "rowing" if you don't have the resistance set very high or your pedaling motion is not super smooth. Are you comparing a spin bike to a fluid trainer that has a small flywheel? I've noticed that top tier smart trainers are moving the nearly the same size flywheels as spin bikes (CycleOps H2 has a 20lb flywheel) so I don't see how those would feel much different.
branden

Next

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques