Tubeless issues

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Tubeless issues

Postby wrob » March 26th, 2018, 2:34 pm

I mounted my fat Gnarwhals & Maxxis Minions tubeless, no problems,then i did some 27.5 x 3.0
Schwalbe Rocket Rons on 50 mm Mulefut rims. Wow! those beads were tight! I did finally accom-
plish the project using the bike shoe method for bead breaking., thankfully with no bead or rim/
spoke damage.i hope any leaks on the trail can be addressed with the sealant or plugs because
i don't see me switching a tube with this tire/rim combo.it's not happening! i carry a boot & a tube
but they're useless if i can't break the tire down.i'm just showing one example here, but i wonder
if the riders who prefer tubes realize what they may face when trying to do the quick tube swap
out on the trail.(mosquitoes anyone?).
wrob

Re: Tubeless issues

Postby WICCMB » March 26th, 2018, 4:35 pm

I don't have experience with that particular tire and rim combination. however, I have experienced a ridiculously tight tire/bead in the past (normally I have no issues with any tire on my rim set up). I ended up using the tire....because it was what I had at that moment when I wanted to change my tire.....but I had the same worry about trailside repair that you have.

The best I can advise you is to switch to another tire at your earliest convenience. Even another tire of the same model may not have the same issue....it could just be a one-off problem with the particular tire that you have (perhaps it is at the maximum "deviation" that the manufacturer allows in their manufacturing process).
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby SteveF » March 27th, 2018, 8:18 am

Mulfuts have a tight fit with most tires in my experience. I bought a little tubeless tire repair pack (plugs and an insertion tool) to carry. With that, a good shot of sealant and boots/patches I feel pretty safe. I carry a tube too when way off the grid-tires stretch a bit over time so it shouldn't be impossible to remove on the trail and put in a tube or patch. Just hard. But the chances of having to are reasonably slim. Your tolerance for long shots may vary. :wink:
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby santaclausersolo » March 28th, 2018, 4:55 pm

The interface between maxxis dh tires and do Swiss fr570 wheels are the only reason I switched to tubeless for that particular bike/wheelset.
santaclausersolo

Postby wrob » March 29th, 2018, 5:02 pm

I have a good air compressor to help seat my tubeless bike tires. I use the blow tip
with the valve core removed & it works well most of the time, then i use the tube
method.i saw this Schwalbe Tire Booster tank on line which is rated at 11 bar
(160psi?) has anyone used this device or made one like it? I'm just curious what
other MTB ers are doing out there.i've used bead blow rings for truck & commercial
tires also & i'm surprised i haven't seen one for bikes in my searches.thx.
wrob

Postby Hartwood » March 29th, 2018, 7:44 pm

This video saved me for removing the tire from the rim. . . https://youtu.be/BHHm1WULQn0
Thanks KBS!
I use a compressor with a clear hose that fits tightly over the valve stem with the core removed, but it only works about half the time. I have had success with a wide strap wrapped tightly around the tire while shooting the air. If that doesn’t work then inserting a tube, fill it with air to set the beads, then removing the tube from only one side works. In my case they are all fat tires on SUNringlé 80 mm rims.
One thing I do that I believe helps is to store the off season tires with a fully inflated tube in them. The tires remain perfectly true and round and the beads stay out, not relaxed inward, which helps the beads set. By having the tubes support the tire, they can be hung on a wall without distorting the beads.
Hartland Mi.

2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR 5
2016 Salsa Mukluk
2015 Diamondback XC
Hartwood

Postby SteveF » March 30th, 2018, 8:34 am

Anytime I can't get one to bead up, I spray the bead with windex all the way 'round. 9/10 times that's enough to make it pop right on.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby b_b » March 30th, 2018, 9:10 am

Yeah Windex or soapy water is what we also used for mounting motorcycle tires which are much harder than mtb tires. Some lubrication made a big difference. Windex dries up a little faster.
b_b

Postby wrob » March 30th, 2018, 10:32 am

My issues weren't with the final bead seating ; i use undiluted Murphys Oil Soap
and i have no problems with that . It was the airing up process which i've done
with tubes ,straps, etc. I'm always open to alternatives so i may try the "leafblower"
method if & when i finally get my 3.8 Gnarwhals (waiting 3 months)
wrob

Postby wrob » April 2nd, 2018, 9:11 pm

There's lots of ways to accomplish the tubeless airup.they're all good.here's another way that
may help someone out. If you have a compressor , buy a clip- on air chuck. remove the metal
part inside,(leave the rubber part).we all have extra Presta/ Schrader adaptors laying around so
use a 1/4 - 28 tap on the adaptor so it will screw on the tubeless valve minus the core. you now
have unobstructed air flow to move air into the tire, leaving your hands free.( by enlarging the
I.D. of the adapter , the tapered air chuck part won't depress and allow air thru,that's why you
remove it.) NOTE: you can leave the air chuck part in and only tap the adapter halfway thru
starting at the bottom and it will work. I like the open air chuck / no valve core method for
maximum air flow. good luck with your tubeless projects!
wrob

Postby Hartwood » July 1st, 2018, 7:56 pm

It seems to be common for valve cores to eventually get gummed up. They are easy to clean or replace. But what is frustrating is I think the sealant is affecting my low pressure tire gages. For my fat tires I use 0-15 Accu-Gage, and I’m on my third one in a year. I always give the valve a press to let a shot of air (and sealant) out before I attach the gage, and I don’t let the bike sit with the valve at the bottom.
Has anyone else had problems with their gages? I’m still trying to figure out how to clean and fix them with no luck so far.
Hartland Mi.

2016 Salsa Mukluk
2015 Diamondback XC
Hartwood

Postby bbender785 » July 6th, 2018, 1:11 pm

i've not had an issue with my accugage. how much sealant are you running?
Team RAD
bbender785

Postby Hartwood » July 16th, 2018, 5:52 pm

bbender785 wrote:i've not had an issue with my accugage. how much sealant are you running?

I believe about 3 ounces, 1 1/2 Stan’s syringe. I did fix my 0-15psi gage by putting it on a 2.3 tire at 28psi which seemed to blow it clear. Accu-gage says don’t use it over 15psi, but it’s working fine again.
Hartland Mi.

2016 Salsa Mukluk
2015 Diamondback XC
Hartwood

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques