Running out of breath...

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Re: Running out of breath...

Postby santaclausersolo » April 6th, 2018, 1:17 pm

AllMountin' wrote:I disagree. When riding for fun, I ride hills to clean them at a moderate pace. I can climb everything at highland(or anywhere local really) at that pace without needing to recover, and then enjoy the funner parts. Just cleaning those climbs used to be torture. That quote only applies to racing and riding for PRs.

Sure, but you could get into a technical discussion about effort and what not. A beginner or someone out of shape who isn't pushing (like you aren't) can also maintain their moderate pace and then enjoy the more fun parts.

a 50% effort climb is still a 50% effort climb, you're just faster when a 50% effort climb is something you can push harder on.

People get out of breathe or max their heart rate when they put in high effort.

The quote is still accurate, my moderate effort today is a lot slower than my moderate effort mid season.
santaclausersolo

Postby DynoDon » April 20th, 2018, 6:21 pm

I'm old, I lost my stamina in the woods somewhere, the more I go out there the more I find, but lately I've been riding a really hilly area of road/gravel, I ride it for an hour or two, it has many big climbs one right after another, Out of an hour on the ride, I probably climb for 45 min or more of that hour, thats much like the trails here in Michigan, so its actually interval training on the road, for the intervals in the woods, I'm now clearing the climbs on the trails much better, even carrying momentem over many hills on the trail now. I was running out of gas at the top of the hills, it was just stamina for me.
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Postby sisu » April 21st, 2018, 8:42 am

DynoDon wrote:I'm old, I lost my stamina in the woods somewhere, the more I go out there the more I find, but lately I've been riding a really hilly area of road/gravel, I ride it for an hour or two, it has many big climbs one right after another, Out of an hour on the ride, I probably climb for 45 min or more of that hour, thats much like the trails here in Michigan, so its actually interval training on the road, for the intervals in the woods, I'm now clearing the climbs on the trails much better, even carrying momentem over many hills on the trail now. I was running out of gas at the top of the hills, it was just stamina for me.

Can you post the loop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sisu
Administrator

Previous

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques