rear wheel lacing

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

rear wheel lacing

Postby Xtian1206= » July 26th, 2018, 9:03 am

im looking into having my rear wheel re-laced to a new rim and spokes. ive had 2 spokes break within a year and i think $40 repair every time a spoke breaks is not cost effective. i bought the rear wheel off ebay and im thinking it probably does not like my current weight :(.

i will be providing the rim and spokes and re-use the DT SWISS HUB i currently have.

aside from RBS,KLM does anybody know of anyone that is able to do this kind of service close to the Macomb area?

thank you very much.
Xtian1206=
 
Posts: 41
Joined: July 10th, 2013, 8:50 am

Re: rear wheel lacing

Postby c0nsumer » July 26th, 2018, 9:05 am

Ron at Fraser builds good wheels as well.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 7650
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

rear wheel lacing

Postby ChrisW3st » July 26th, 2018, 10:38 am

Xtian1206= wrote: $40 repair every time a spoke breaks is not cost effective.


Where do they charge you $40 to replace a spoke?
Chris Westerlund
CRAMBA - NMBP
LTU - MTB
User avatar
ChrisW3st
 
Posts: 61
Joined: August 15th, 2013, 10:44 pm
Location: Clinton Twp.

Re: rear wheel lacing

Postby jmf003 » July 26th, 2018, 11:18 am

This isn't what you asked but I used to break spokes frequently until I bought a truing stand, tension guage, and wrenches. I now keep my spokes properly tensioned and breaks are rare.
jmf003
 
Posts: 150
Joined: November 23rd, 2011, 8:49 pm
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: rear wheel lacing

Postby Xtian1206= » July 26th, 2018, 11:36 am

ChrisW3st wrote:
Xtian1206= wrote: $40 repair every time a spoke breaks is not cost effective.


Where do they charge you $40 to replace a spoke?


KLM. Includes, taping,truing.

Last time i was there they told me my wheel needed to be rebuilt and approximately quoted me a rebuilt price equivalent to a new rear wheel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xtian1206=
 
Posts: 41
Joined: July 10th, 2013, 8:50 am

Re: rear wheel lacing

Postby Roy » July 27th, 2018, 7:37 am

I would first ask Ron (at Fraser Bike) to check out the wheel for spoke tension.
I have dealt with Ron for probably 25 years. Ron is very honest.

If your wheel spokes are not tensioned correct, you will break spokes.

Metal fatigues extremely fast if the tension load cycles down to zero. Loose spokes will cause the tension in spokes on the opposite side of the wheel to cycle to Zero every time the wheel turns.
Or put another way, the road side spokes loose tension, because the axel hangs on the top side spokes.
The road side spokes should be tight enough as to never loose all tension.
It is like breaking a paper clip by bending it back and forth.

Roy
User avatar
Roy
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: August 14th, 2002, 9:04 pm

Re: rear wheel lacing

Postby Xtian1206= » July 27th, 2018, 9:20 am

Roy wrote:I would first ask Ron (at Fraser Bike) to check out the wheel for spoke tension.
I have dealt with Ron for probably 25 years. Ron is very honest.

If your wheel spokes are not tensioned correct, you will break spokes.

Metal fatigues extremely fast if the tension load cycles down to zero. Loose spokes will cause the tension in spokes on the opposite side of the wheel to cycle to Zero every time the wheel turns.
Or put another way, the road side spokes loose tension, because the axel hangs on the top side spokes.
The road side spokes should be tight enough as to never loose all tension.
It is like breaking a paper clip by bending it back and forth.

Roy


thank you. will do.
Xtian1206=
 
Posts: 41
Joined: July 10th, 2013, 8:50 am


Return to Tips, Training & Techniques

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests