Fat Wheelset?

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Fat Wheelset?

Postby flamingo » September 10th, 2018, 8:58 am

So I finally got sucked into a Fat Bike. Got a deal on used Specialized Fatboy Carbon frame and fork that I could not refused. Now comes the build time and search for the components.
Since this bike is going to be used mostly for riding in snow and on rail to trail trails in winter I do not have any ambition to make it into a high end bike. My budget is rather low.
I was looking at Specialized Stout wheels. A set can be had for $300. One condition that I have is that the wheelset has to be tubeless. Has anybody had any experience with those wheels?
Or any other suggestions for a budget tubeless wheelset. BTW the wheels must be through axle front and rear.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Re: Fat Wheelset?

Postby chris_werth » September 10th, 2018, 9:15 am

I know a few guys that used the Fatty stripper tubeless set up on those wheels with no problems.
To "come back" would mean I've been somewhere.....not sure if I qualify. W.S 2013
chris_werth

Postby c0nsumer » September 10th, 2018, 9:28 am

If it's the wheels with the cutouts, yeah. Fatty Strippers are really the only way to do it. If it's the newer and solid Stouts they work great as-is tubeless. Remove the rim strip, add sealant, and done.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby KLydesdale » September 11th, 2018, 10:14 pm

If you buy a fat rims with cutouts and want to go tubeless, also consider Caffelatex Fat Tubeless Strips. I’ve used them to convert two wheelsets with Holy Rolling Darryls and Borealis FTD 100mm rims, both of which have a reputation to be difficult to convert, and they have worked out very well. The strips are of a much tougher material than the thin latex Fatty Stripper ones.

By the way, Borealis offers some budget wheelsets too. https://www.fatbike.com/product/borealis-fr80-wheelset-and-tire-combo/
KLydesdale

Postby dudegetabike » September 12th, 2018, 12:14 pm

chris_werth wrote:I know a few guys that used the Fatty stripper tubeless set up on those wheels with no problems.

Fatty Strippers for the win. Easiest Tubeless setup yet, and the rim strips look sweet!

I had a set of Borealis hubs. Not impressed. The rear driver disintegrated in one season. I calledto order a new one, $100! They also said that they would not warranty the driver if it broke again because I was running 1x11 with a 42t on the back. It was disappointing and chose to spend $190 on a DT swiss hub and re-lace instead. Much better :)

The Specialized wheels come with good DT rims, but beware the hubs. The early designs had AL axles that would flex and blow out bearings often. The later ones went with a steel axle, but they still flexed and would do the same thing if you output alot of torque. If its through axle, maybe they fixed it with that?

Origin 8 hubs are garbage, I should have known better, but I got it new for $50 so I gambled... and lost. It didn't explode like th others, but would pop and skip. I suspect eventually it would have died.

Just some heads up as I went through a few back wheels when I switched over to fat. Now I have lots of junk 190mm hubs laying around :roll:
5 it son!

2018 Canyon Spectral CF8
2014 Niner EMD
2015 'Goose Vinson (Fatties rule!)
2012 Sunday 2nd Wave
2017 Sunday C24
dudegetabike

Postby bbender785 » September 12th, 2018, 2:45 pm

another nod to fattystripper. i've easily set up my Stout 90 wheels twice now with them. plan to again when i switch tires again this fall.

the Caffelatex sounds interesting, i'll have to read up on them.
Team RAD
bbender785

Postby AllMountin' » September 12th, 2018, 3:47 pm

My opinion of fatty stripper is... an expensive(comparatively) form of split tube tubeless, less a few grams, with additional potential points of failure(valve stem sealing to separate rubber strips).

Prove me wrong.

Nice rim strip though.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby flamingo » September 14th, 2018, 7:34 am

Thanks guys. I ended up going a more expensive route. Found at Starbike a pair of DT swiss BR,s with a set of 4.8 Jumbo Jims for $780. Again too good of a deal to pass up. Ofcourse I am blowing my budget again :).
flamingo

Postby c0nsumer » September 14th, 2018, 7:58 am

The DTs do work decently tubeless, but only with FattyStrippers. Consider dropping the 54 point ratchets in them; works well.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby flamingo » September 17th, 2018, 8:19 am

Kinda confused on the fatty strippers. Do I need the backing tape (the stuff that covers the holes) and then the tubeless tape (the stuff that makes it tubeless). Their website has this works kit and it contains rim strips and bling stips. How does the conversion to tubeless work?
flamingo

Postby c0nsumer » September 17th, 2018, 8:28 am

Correct. The Fatty Strippers provide the sealing by way of a latex strip. For the DT rims it helps because the inner wall shape is not conducive to tape. For the Specialized rims with holes, they have a small vent hole drilled in the bead seat which makes almost any tape job fail.

Split tube, as Steve mentions above, works great as well.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby bbender785 » September 17th, 2018, 9:09 am

flamingo wrote:Do I need the backing tape (the stuff that covers the holes) and then the tubeless tape (the stuff that makes it tubeless). Their website has this works kit and it contains rim strips and bling stips. How does the conversion to tubeless work?

the bling strips replace the stock rim strip (what you actually see through the cutouts in the rim if you have them). i opted to forego the bling strips and stick with my stock rim strips, which worked just fine with the latex bands (which does the job that tape would normally do, so no tape required).

they also sell the backing "rods", which are for wheels that are tough to get the tire to meet the beads. i didn't need them on my OE specialized wheels.
Team RAD
bbender785

Postby flamingo » December 18th, 2018, 10:10 am

c0nsumer wrote:The DTs do work decently tubeless, but only with FattyStrippers. Consider dropping the 54 point ratchets in them; works well.

I sucked up the $99 up and got that 54t ratchet. After you mentioned it, I started noticing that yes the 18t engagement on the original hub felt sloppy and unrefined. (I guess ignorance is a bliss :wink: ) I installed that ratchet last night, and got the first ride with it this morning. The positive difference can definitively be felt. Even thou it is almost $100 for two tiny pieces of metal (I am sure DT Swiss makes a killing on them) I feel like it is money well spent on a little luxury. I will treat it as a christmas gift to myself.
flamingo

Postby KLydesdale » January 14th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Just wanted to followup on my earlier comments in this thread about Caffelatex Fat tubeless strips. I've had them set up for about a year now and they are still going strong. My Borealis FTD 100 mm wheels have a Flow/Dunder combo and held a seal when they sat around all summer. I just swapped tires on the Holy Rolling Darryls this weekend from Jumbo Jim 4.8 to Dillinger 5 studded so I could ride Pontiac Lake this week (and by this I mean the lake itself) I was very happy with how the Caffelatex strips facilitated this. Especially considering neither those rims or the Dillingers are officially tubeless compatible.
KLydesdale

Postby c0nsumer » January 14th, 2019, 12:53 pm

flamingo wrote:I sucked up the $99 up and got that 54t ratchet. After you mentioned it, I started noticing that yes the 18t engagement on the original hub felt sloppy and unrefined. (I guess ignorance is a bliss :wink: ) I installed that ratchet last night, and got the first ride with it this morning. The positive difference can definitively be felt. Even thou it is almost $100 for two tiny pieces of metal (I am sure DT Swiss makes a killing on them) I feel like it is money well spent on a little luxury. I will treat it as a christmas gift to myself.

I find it becomes really noticeable the more technical stuff you ride. Especially if you ever ratchet up/over stuff. With a sufficiently high engagement hub you can use a bunch of 1/10th of a pedal strokes to get through/over stuff where you'd normally hit your pedals.

Also, the larger the rear cog, the more noticeable it is because the more chain moves before the freehub engages.

It's got me thinking about Onyx hubs for a really really nice trail bike. But for now the 54s are fine.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques