Zwift or Trainer Road on rollers???

Where to ask questions on riding skills, training, nutrition, and bike repair

Zwift or Trainer Road on rollers???

Postby chris_werth » October 17th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Winter is right around the corner and I want to try and up my training this year but want to stay on the cheap side to do it. I have a set of rollers, an Ipad and my Gravel bike, is it possible to get a solid training program from either Zwift or Trainer road using rollers? Yes, I have a fat bike, but there a days I just can't get out for a 60 min + ride and looking for something to do on the crappy weather days also.

Also, which of the 2 programs do you recommend? Remember, I want to stay on the cheap side so subscription pricing comes into play as well.

Thoughts???
To "come back" would mean I've been somewhere.....not sure if I qualify. W.S 2013
chris_werth

Re: Zwift or Trainer Road on rollers???

Postby c0nsumer » October 17th, 2019, 3:17 pm

If you don't have a power meter, than no.

You need a trainer with a known resistance curve to use virtual power.

Personally, I recommend TrainerRoad. I like the simple structured workouts. Hop on, ride to the program, and done.

Let me know if you want a month free.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby c0nsumer » October 17th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Sorry, I'm wrong. It does look like TrainerRoad supports certain models of rollers for virtual power: https://www.trainerroad.com/virtual-power
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby MudAndCowbells » October 18th, 2019, 8:32 am

I second TrainerRoad. Super simple interface, can use just your phone and still watch TV or whatever else while spinning away. Also, their progression of plans work well. Base to Build to Specialty. They just work. And now, you can port them to an outdoor workout when the weather is good!
MudAndCowbells

Postby c0nsumer » October 18th, 2019, 8:53 am

MudAndCowbells wrote:I second TrainerRoad. Super simple interface, can use just your phone and still watch TV or whatever else while spinning away. Also, their progression of plans work well. Base to Build to Specialty. They just work. And now, you can port them to an outdoor workout when the weather is good!

For me it's an action (need to be something not too intelligent) series on Netflix or Amazon, subtitles on, while spinning away to TR. Usually a series that I only watch while on the trainer so I look forward to it. Except during ramp tests; for that I only use music.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Postby chris_werth » October 18th, 2019, 9:07 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Steve, can you PM me the free subscription??
To "come back" would mean I've been somewhere.....not sure if I qualify. W.S 2013
chris_werth

Postby c0nsumer » October 18th, 2019, 10:10 am

chris_werth wrote:Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Steve, can you PM me the free subscription??

Sure! Can you PM me the email address you want used and I'll send it over?
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

c0nsumer

Return to Tips, Training & Techniques