Camping and Riding?

For all issues relating to technical trails, riding, and advocacy

Camping and Riding?

Postby engine_dude » June 10th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Rode yankee springs last week and am now addicted to the idea of camping and riding. Are there other cool areas in Michigan where you can camp and it’s close to some technical trails?
engine_dude

Re: Camping and Riding?

Postby c0nsumer » June 10th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Poto, Brighton, Fort Custer for downstate stuff. Then there's the whole Marquette stuff with Ripplin' River and/or Tourist Park.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby bleve » June 13th, 2018, 6:13 pm

Bruno's Run goes right through Pete's Lake campground in the UP. Several campgrounds in the Pigeon River if you want to try the High Country Pathway or the Shingle Mill Pathway. The NCT through the Manistee NF offers lots of spots you can camp along it. None of those are overly technical but they're all great rides.
bleve

Postby Leroi Brown » June 14th, 2018, 10:24 am

Okay, a bit of a drive, but the BEST camping/riding is in Copper Harbor; once you arrive, you never have to get in your car again until you leave. The trails are all within a short ride down a path from the state park campground.....as is the brewery :-)
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby mtnbikinbryno » June 15th, 2018, 8:30 am

Petoskey State Park and Boyne Highlands is another option.
mtnbikinbryno

Postby juliandenton » October 20th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Combine both! I think it is a great idea to come up with! Just let me know what you think!
juliandenton

Postby mitechie » November 1st, 2018, 10:30 am

We love Addison because we'll take the RV out to the campground and do laps over the weekend, great time. We were camping more mid-michigan when I drove a bit and rode the Rifle River state campground, which wasn't overly technical but was fun. It's definitely a great way to get away.
---
Ibis Mojo 3
Santa Cruz Chameleon
https://www.instagram.com/mitechie.mtb
mitechie

Postby DynoDon » November 1st, 2018, 11:10 am

North Country Trail Manistee Section has great ride/hike to campsites with great overlooks of the Manistee River, I'd set up camp early to get a good spot, lots of hikers camping, I never seen bikes camping... looks like a great place to camp... i've only ridden through, but I thought camping would be great there, I've seen lots of hikers camping on the overlooks of the Manistee River. The biking is unreal there.
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Postby c0nsumer » November 1st, 2018, 12:04 pm

DynoDon wrote:North Country Trail Manistee Section has great ride/hike to campsites with great overlooks of the Manistee River, I'd set up camp early to get a good spot, lots of hikers camping, I never seen bikes camping... looks like a great place to camp... i've only ridden through, but I thought camping would be great there, I've seen lots of hikers camping on the overlooks of the Manistee River. The biking is unreal there.

You likely haven't seen bikers camping because the part of the Manistee River Loop that goes past the campground isn't open to bikes.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby DynoDon » November 1st, 2018, 1:06 pm

You likely haven't seen bikers camping because the part of the Manistee River Loop that goes past the campground isn't open to bikes.[/quote]

There are overlooks where people camp, If you go through there early enough, or late enough people will be camped there. You have to hike, or bike to the campsites that overlook the river, and like I said above get a site early, there are plenty of hikers most days, you can disperse camp almost anywhere in the Manistee National Forest. the rules are not the same as State Parks. I've seen campers along the trail on the lookouts..

http://www.getoffthecouch.info/manistee/mannct.htm
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Postby Roy » November 10th, 2018, 7:53 am

Engine Dude
If you really want to get into bike/camping read up on it @
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com website.
There is a whole section devoted to Stealth camping or sometimes call wild camping. Plus many of the bloggers wild camp. Some are pretty good at it. Stealth or wild camping implies that you probably have not asked provision. Many times Bike tourers stealth camp for security reasons.
Mexico is the a difficult country to wild camp because most privet land is fenced.
Look it up !

Roy

Postby kaysee » August 27th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Brown county state park in Indiana. Great trails, great camping, close brewery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kaysee

Return to Freeride