Lift assist FR/DH areas in LP

For all issues relating to technical trails, riding, and advocacy

Re: Lift assist FR/DH areas in LP

Postby 300hp » April 13th, 2012, 12:29 pm

yeah, If I remember correctly you can ride for free on friday afternoon/evening, or free at any time if you are a "guest" of Boyne. I really enjoy the trails there, particularly on the trail bike. The flowy stuff that comes down off of diciples is a riot to ride on a 5-6" bike.

Roxstar:
I don't know if I would make a destination out of any place besides Boyne Highlands. However, if you have a couple days to devote, there is tons of good riding in the area. The XC stuff on the north country trail and the XC trails at boyne mountain and boyne highlands are lots of fun.

The riding in Traverse City is great as well. There is a dedicated freeride area, and the VASA trail network is great XC riding.

Slightly south of traverse city is Arcadia Dunes, which some people claim is one of the best loops in the state.

All of the "downhill" even at the bike park, is plenty of fun on a slack 5-6" bike. I have lots of fun riding my DH bike there, but I spent a couple years riding a hardtail DJ, and a 5" bike there. I'll probably ride my Remedy around boyne as much as my DH bike this year to sharpen my skills and spice things up a bit. What I'm saying is if you have a trail bike, you can throw one rig in the car and have a great weekend.
H
300hp

Postby iamkickstand » April 13th, 2012, 12:40 pm

arcadia is a super fun XC loop. Lots of flowy goodness
iamkickstand

Postby roxtar » April 13th, 2012, 1:36 pm

300hp wrote:yeah, If I remember correctly you can ride for free on friday afternoon/evening, or free at any time if you are a "guest" of Boyne. I really enjoy the trails there, particularly on the trail bike. The flowy stuff that comes down off of diciples is a riot to ride on a 5-6" bike.

Roxstar:
I don't know if I would make a destination out of any place besides Boyne Highlands. However, if you have a couple days to devote, there is tons of good riding in the area. The XC stuff on the north country trail and the XC trails at boyne mountain and boyne highlands are lots of fun.

The riding in Traverse City is great as well. There is a dedicated freeride area, and the VASA trail network is great XC riding.

Slightly south of traverse city is Arcadia Dunes, which some people claim is one of the best loops in the state.

All of the "downhill" even at the bike park, is plenty of fun on a slack 5-6" bike. I have lots of fun riding my DH bike there, but I spent a couple years riding a hardtail DJ, and a 5" bike there. I'll probably ride my Remedy around boyne as much as my DH bike this year to sharpen my skills and spice things up a bit. What I'm saying is if you have a trail bike, you can throw one rig in the car and have a great weekend.
H
Yea, I was on the Highlands website and it looks like some cool stuff. I'm looking for a place to ride my FR bike, a 7" travel Opus Nelson. Would definitely take the Uzzi too for the regular trail stuff.
Maybe make it a 4 day weekend and hit Crystal, too.
Thanks
roxtar

Postby kaysee » April 13th, 2012, 1:37 pm

Where's the cheap place to stay up by Boyne Highlands? Any campgrounds near by?
kaysee

Postby mtbfree » April 13th, 2012, 1:40 pm

kaysee wrote:Where's the cheap place to stay up by Boyne Highlands? Any campgrounds near by?

Petosky state park is about 10 minutes away.
I'm just here to ride...

-'15 Transition Scout
-'15 Trek Session 88
-'04 Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

Previous

Return to Freeride