New park in Northville- Opportunity?

MMBA trail access, advocacy, and related news (non-IMBA Chapter Topics)

New park in Northville- Opportunity?

Postby ihateplaindave » February 18th, 2011, 8:43 am

http://www.freep.com/article/20110218/N ... ransformed

Notice that there is a 30 member citizen advisory committee mentioned. Any MTBRs, or at least cyclists, in Northville?
ihateplaindave

Re: New park in Northville- Opportunity?

Postby ibisman » February 18th, 2011, 9:41 am

There are trails there already...The highschool track team runs out there and thats where I first started riding 20 years ago. Good idea though.lots of hills.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby bender13 » February 18th, 2011, 9:50 am

I know the MMBA had some discussions early on, but I am not sure where things stand now.

http://www.mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96310&p=638801&hilit=hospital+northville#p638801

Jeff
bender13

Postby bender13 » February 18th, 2011, 9:54 am

I found this on the township website. At least we are mentioned.

Michigan Mountain Bikers Clean Up
The Michigan Mountain Bikers began clean up of the forested area. The progress to clean up is slow but steady. The intent is to open the 50 forested acres on the southeastern edge of the property (as well as acres which are not environmentally contaminated) to the public as soon as possible. Those acres were purchased with the grant from the MNRTF with the understanding that they will always be preserved, protected, and available to the residents of this community and state.

Jeff
bender13

Postby Sherpaboy » February 20th, 2011, 7:34 pm

Ibisman - You may be thinking of the Hines section near 7 Mile. This is the old psychiatric hospital off 7 mile.

The Metrosoth chapter has been involved with this parcel and the township since last year. Several of even donated some good will time for a small project on the land. There are some trails out there and the potential for anther small urban trail system is good. However we have already run into some outdated ideas about mountain biking...were hoping to set the record straight and prove that the MMBA has the resources, money, and volunteers to accomplish the task. there is a little more red tape and committees to go through before even considering a trail system,...But I think the MS chapter is still planning to keep there ear to the ground.

This is a very slow moving project...I sat in a few meetings over a year ago.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby bender13 » February 20th, 2011, 7:49 pm

I emailed the township to see what it takes to get on the citizens committee.

Jeff
bender13

Postby WICCMB » February 20th, 2011, 10:32 pm

FYI, there is already one MMBA/MetroSouth/TrailsEdge person who is a member of the Citizen's Committee......
WICCMB
Administrator

Postby daffunda » February 22nd, 2011, 11:50 am

What exactly is "some outdated ideas for mountain biking"?
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby WallEyed » February 22nd, 2011, 11:53 am

daffunda wrote:What exactly is "some outdated ideas for mountain biking"?

I was at some of the early meetings/work days with Sherp and others. Basically, they didn't think that bikers and hikers could be compatible on the same trail system, and were also under the impression that bicycles cause excessive erosion on trails. Things like that. Sherp did a great job of explaining things to them, and they were very open to our ideas. We have a great opportunity out there, and the people involved seemed eager to work with us.
Dave Cox
Co-Trail Coordinator - Lakeshore Park
WallEyed

Postby daffunda » February 22nd, 2011, 8:57 pm

WallEyed wrote:
Basically, they didn't think that bikers and hikers could be compatible on the same trail system, .

Why?

Have they ran into bunch of a holes on a MTB who yelled at them that the hiker ruined their hot lap? Did a douche on a mtb run into them ...or are they just selfish and don't want to deal with chain clanking and brake squeal when walking their dog?

I just don't understand why people just can't get along. Are michigan natives really that selfish? I know that out west, things are more lax when it comes to sharing the trail. Maybe it is the weather....People get cranky when they get out in the spring from all the snow.
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
daffunda

Postby bender13 » April 29th, 2011, 9:02 am

A Green Ribbon Committee has been formed with the goal of getting the Northville Township community more involved in the master planning and future development of the former Northville State Regional Psychiatric Hospital property on Seven Mile Road.

Their first meeting had the group touring the site and its facilities, exploring their roles and discussing the use of surveys/questionnaires to gauge public opinion. The next meeting is open to the public and has been planned for June 10. It will be a community design workshop.

Public meeting June 10, I will post up once they announce time and location.

Jeff
bender13

Postby spokeywheeler » May 6th, 2011, 7:52 am

I discovered those trails 5 years ago, and they have great potential with lots of hills. I would be very interested in helping develop these trails - so any info on more trail days for this area is appreciated. I'll definetly be at the June 10th meeting.
On my mountain bike I am a human roller coaster.
spokeywheeler

Postby Washington Rider » May 6th, 2011, 1:19 pm

I would like to help out as well. Looking forward to the June meeting.
Ted Welsh
Washington Rider

Postby bender13 » May 6th, 2011, 10:19 pm

Take a survey about the property and you could win a $50 gift certificate to the Deadwood Bar.

http://www.twp.northville.mi.us/index.aspx?page=261

They specifically ask about mountain biking in the second survey (Visual Preferences)

Jeff
bender13

Postby froggyrider » May 6th, 2011, 10:38 pm

Thanks- filled out both. We worked a bit on that area last year as a "pilot." Let's hope it works out. Love me some Deadwood!!!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Next

Return to Advocacy