New park in Northville- Opportunity?

MMBA trail access, advocacy, and related news (non-IMBA Chapter Topics)

Re: New park in Northville- Opportunity?

Postby tstefani » May 7th, 2011, 6:43 am

I did it to stating that the MMBA could help as one of the comments neighbor organizations that might be interested in helping
tstefani

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » May 7th, 2011, 10:17 am

I filled out the form too.
on another advocacy note, please say a skatepark is highly desirable. Based on their questions, I think they might be into a skatepark style plaza that incorporates sculpture as the obstacles (which is what most skateboards want now), rather than fencing kids in a concrete wasteland with no character. it would be so awesome to have mountain bike trails, skatepark, play structure and nature trails. that's everything new active families need in one park.
Responsible Consumer Announcement: If the place you buy mountain biking gear from is not at trail days, you need to find a real mountain bike shop.
HiptonRadcliffIII

Postby specialized08 » May 19th, 2011, 11:50 am

I'm confused... I have grown up in the subdivision that is just South of the whole area and now live in the City of Northville. How is everyone riding this property if it is forbidden to be entered without the risk of a trespassing fine? Please inform...
Rip it

2012 Activity:
Pending..
specialized08

Postby bender13 » May 19th, 2011, 12:11 pm

I don't think everyone is riding the trails. One person said he discovered the trails and another said the High School Cross Country Team uses them. I think if you use the trials now you risk a ticket until it is opened up for Mountain Bikes.

Jeff
bender13

Postby bender13 » June 2nd, 2011, 9:19 am

7 Mile Road Park Master Plan
Community Design Workshop

June 9th, 2011
8:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Township Municipal Office
44405 Six Mile Road

It says to please stop by any time during the day to participate in the workshop.

Here is the link for more info:
http://www.twp.northville.mi.us/index.aspx?page=36&recordid=46

Ride your bike to the workshop and hit Maybury before or after!

Jeff
bender13

Postby bender13 » June 9th, 2011, 11:17 am

Just a reminder to head over today!

The Community Design Workshop
June 9, 2011
8:30 AM ? 7:00 PM
Township Municipal Office, 44405 Six Mile Road

Open to all community residents - we want to know what?s on your mind. Please stop by any time during the day and help us create a dynamic Twenty21 vision for future development of the 7 Mile Road Property?the 350-acre former site of the Northville State Regional Psychiatric Hospital.

This interactive exercise will involve participants in a series of activities to create and explore various design concepts and potential park features.

Drop in anytime, stay for as long as you like. Participants can:

?Learn more about the property?s existing natural features and potential
?Explore images of park features that could be included in the new master plan
?Meet with professional planners and sketch artists to share your vision and see it translated into graphic elements through an engaging process called Drawing in Dialogue
?Complete a visual preference survey and community questionnaire
The Workshop is informal and fun?a place to share thoughts, review what other communities have done with similar sites, and help develop a community-driven design for the property.

Jeff
bender13

Postby tstefani » June 14th, 2011, 6:20 am

http://www.twp.northville.mi.us/index.aspx?page=63

this is a link to the Northville township website where you can follow what's happening with the 7 mile land. also you can sign up for email alerts.
tstefani

Postby bender13 » September 20th, 2011, 9:22 am

Update.

Below is a link where you can view and give feedback on 4 Concept Plans for the 7 mile property. Looking at the 4 plans, only B and D have a mountain bike trail listed. Both plans have it placed in the western part of the property, around the oil well. I am hoping this is not set in stone as it looks like there would be plenty of room on the eastern side along with the hiking and XC ski trails.

http://www.northvillemich.com/index.aspx?page=278

Please take a look and take the survey. It allows you to pick Mountain Bike Trail as very desirable and also pick it as a Top Priority for most plans even if it is not shown on the map. A comment field is also provided. Even if you are not from Northville, I don't think it would hurt. Make sure you mention that you frequent the area due to the cycling opportunities.

The Township also has another Seven Mile Property Feedback Form. I don't think it would hurt to fill it out as well.
http://38.106.4.236/index.aspx?recordid=97&page=236

As a side note Northville wants to develop a non-motorized route from downtown Northville to Maybury. I do not have any details as the Township Supervisor told me that this is only the beginning of the planning stage and they do not have any funding as of yet. I will keep everyone posted on this one as I think this would be a good thing for Maybury.

Thanks,

Jeff
bender13

Postby Leroi Brown » September 20th, 2011, 10:24 am

Thanks for posting!! This is practically in my back yard, and would be awesome!!
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby bender13 » September 20th, 2011, 2:48 pm

Leroi Brown wrote:Thanks for posting!! This is practically in my back yard, and would be awesome!!

Tell your friends and neighbors, the mountain biking ones at least.

Jeff
bender13

Postby deezler » September 20th, 2011, 8:21 pm

Guess we gotta vote for option B, eh? "Network" of trails vs. the single trail option in plan D, which can't be much more than 1.5-2 miles long as drawn.

Dang. So much potential, they could weave a 6-8 mile trail into this place easily. But these plans show an obvious focus on community gardens, playgrounds, an amphitheater, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Let the popular opinion prevail; but we can certainly raise our voice and be heard here.
deezler

Postby Leroi Brown » September 20th, 2011, 8:40 pm

Thanks for posting this, Jeff, and for the updates. As a resident of N'ville Twp, I live just up Winchester from the proposed park, and would certainly be interested in assisting with trail building and advocacy wherever necessary.
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby bender13 » September 20th, 2011, 9:51 pm

deezler wrote:Guess we gotta vote for option B, eh? "Network" of trails vs. the single trail option in plan D, which can't be much more than 1.5-2 miles long as drawn.

Dang. So much potential, they could weave a 6-8 mile trail into this place easily. But these plans show an obvious focus on community gardens, playgrounds, an amphitheater, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Let the popular opinion prevail; but we can certainly raise our voice and be heard here.

You can take the survey for all of them. Pick mountain bike trails for the three you can and mention mountain bike trails in the comments. I don't the map is set in stone and we could maybe talk our way into other areas.

Jeff
bender13

Postby bender13 » September 26th, 2011, 8:54 am

Please remember to take the surveys especially if you are a Northville or Northville Township resident. We need to show community support for a mountain bike trail. Mention a mountain bike trail in the comments section for all of the plans and pick mountian bike trails as very desirable and as a top priority whenever it is given as a selection.

Thanks,

Jeff

bender13 wrote:Update.

Below is a link where you can view and give feedback on 4 Concept Plans for the 7 mile property. Looking at the 4 plans, only B and D have a mountain bike trail listed. Both plans have it placed in the western part of the property, around the oil well. I am hoping this is not set in stone as it looks like there would be plenty of room on the eastern side along with the hiking and XC ski trails.

http://www.northvillemich.com/index.aspx?page=278

Please take a look and take the survey. It allows you to pick Mountain Bike Trail as very desirable and also pick it as a Top Priority for most plans even if it is not shown on the map. A comment field is also provided. Even if you are not from Northville, I don't think it would hurt. Make sure you mention that you frequent the area due to the cycling opportunities.

The Township also has another Seven Mile Property Feedback Form. I don't think it would hurt to fill it out as well.
http://38.106.4.236/index.aspx?recordid=97&page=236

As a side note Northville wants to develop a non-motorized route from downtown Northville to Maybury. I do not have any details as the Township Supervisor told me that this is only the beginning of the planning stage and they do not have any funding as of yet. I will keep everyone posted on this one as I think this would be a good thing for Maybury.

Thanks,

Jeff
bender13

Postby mmba6292 » October 5th, 2011, 11:48 am

The survey is now available on the Northville Township Web Site. Please express your opinion in favor of mountain bike trails and against city sponsored commercial development:

http://38.106.4.236/index.aspx?page=278

I am a Northville resident and have been active on the committee and with the cleanup last year. Things are progressing quite slowly, but moving in the right direction.
mmba6292

PreviousNext

Return to Advocacy