Funding for trails is in DANGER

MMBA trail access, advocacy, and related news (non-IMBA Chapter Topics)

Funding for trails is in DANGER

Postby IMBA Great Lakes » February 14th, 2012, 7:35 pm

Dear MMBA Members,

I am writing today to bring attention to the super-important action alert that we sent to clubs earlier today. The Recreational Trails Program (RTP) is in danger of being eliminated and it is the single greatest funding source for trail development across the country. If mountain bikers don't act to support continuing RTP, funding for 15,000 trail projects, the program will be eliminated.

There are many ways you can support the effort to protect the funding that has made so many of the trails in your state happen. I am asking you to take this alert and, if appropriate, post it on your website, Facebook page, and send it to your individual members to spread the word to call or email your Senators and Representatives.

In addition to spreading the word one of the most influential ways to make a difference and support the effort is to lobby with us and hundreds of other cyclists at the National Bike Summit in Washington, DC. This event not only gets you in front of your congressional leaders but is a great opportunity for networking and developing key relationships that you can bring back to your area.

Bottom line, RTP represents a lot of money for our sport ? $85 million a year. If it disappears we will lose trails. IMBA is one of the few national groups working to protect RTP funding, hence my request that you take our alert and forward it to your entire community.

The National Bike Summit is March 20-23. I plan to lead a caravan to DC and if there are enough interested parties, we can coordinate car pooling and I may even rent a van. If you are interested or know someone who is please send them my way.

Andy Williamson
IMBA Great Lakes Region Director
937-247-IMBA
andy.williamson@imba.com
www.imba.com
IMBA Great Lakes

Return to Advocacy