Proposed Waterloo Trail System Public Meeting

MMBA trail access, advocacy, and related news (non-IMBA Chapter Topics)

Proposed Waterloo Trail System Public Meeting

Postby jajones » April 5th, 2014, 7:42 am

We need ALL Michigan mountain bikers able to attend if you want the next "Brown County", "Pisgah" or "Copper Harbor".

There will be lots of equestrian opposition to the trail at the meeting. We will need to counter that. Your attendance is vital.

https://www.facebook.com/events/228407264033135

THURSDAY April 24th, 4pm to 7pm
Waterloo Discovery Center
17030 Bush Road, Chelsea, MI

After event soiree at Chelsea Alehouse, Chelsea, MI

Spread the Word!
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Mountain Biking Association
Advocacy Committee, Michigan Mountain Biking Association (MMBA)
Board Member, Potawatomi Mountain Biking Association (PMBA)
jajones

Re: Proposed Waterloo Trail System Public Meeting

Postby vette-ss » April 23rd, 2014, 8:00 am

I doubt there is any data to support the presence of bikes affecting bird activity, so I would assume that their position is that the presence of bikes interrupts their ability to enjoy birds. As with any multi-use trail, everyone needs to share the trail and follow the yielding rules.

The follow-up with the discussion of Boy Scouts is interesting. One of my kids (I have 6 in my Brady bunch household) just signed up with troop 364 in Howell. There are mountain biking merit badges and there seems to be a lot of push by the troop to promote being active in an outdoor setting, including mtb. They are camping this weekend at a camp just north of the Poto in Gregory. One of the highlighted activities for the boys is mountain biking. I'm new to the scout scene, but to me it doesn't appear that there are any hard feelings from the BSA about mtb on the Poto.
vette-ss

Postby Geff » April 23rd, 2014, 8:47 am

Such misinformation and emotional passion...
Geff

Postby jajones » April 23rd, 2014, 9:12 am

msugma wrote:I'm an IMBA member AND an avid birder/Audubon society member. I follow a SE Michigan Birding list serve. There is some pretty negative chatter on there about the proposed trail. Just wondering how you'd recommend replying to complaints like:

Here's a link: http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Ma ... ?year=2014

Mainly what they're saying is that mountain bikers will ruin their chances of communing with nature peacefully. Their citing Poto as being a once great trail, but now being over run and destroyed by mountain bikers.

the above is NOT my opinion. Just making you aware of it in case this group is represented at the public hearing.

My response is that we had extensive meetings during trail corridor layout and the MDNR Park and Rec liaison to Wildlife Division was present in all of the meetings. Subject of bird habitat came up numerous times and alterations were made. As far as one stakeholder saying that another stakeholder ruins their chances of communing with nature as they choose, I'd say we all have to coexist. Any user group could make this claim about another user group: bikers v. hunters, hunters v. bikers, hikers v. hunters, bird watchers v. trail runners. The list goes on. Not wanting to see someone else in a public lands recreation area in SE Michigan is not a realistic perspective.
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Mountain Biking Association
Advocacy Committee, Michigan Mountain Biking Association (MMBA)
Board Member, Potawatomi Mountain Biking Association (PMBA)
jajones

Return to Advocacy