The MMBA Wants You!

MMBA trail access, advocacy, and related news (non-IMBA Chapter Topics)

The MMBA Wants You!

Postby johnnyg » November 19th, 2009, 6:48 pm

You have thought, "The MMBA should be doing this to get additional trail access." Or maybe, "Why doesn't this trail go over there and add an additional 6 awesome miles over that ridge?" Or, "I can research and write; how can I help fight for the rights of cyclists?" Or maybe you just thought: "My resume sucks. I need to get some good volunteer experience doing something I believe in that would help bolster my resume for my next job search."

I have an outlet for you. Help the MMBA. One of its chief missions is to maintain and expand trail access-- that's what we all care about. Take the initiative and put your name in by clicking the email button thingy on the right.

Since seeing the Leadville Trail 100 movie, Race Across the Sky, I have been impressed with the race's credo: "You're better than you think you are and you can do more than you think you can."

Come help me do more; these are the positions we are looking to fill. The pay is simple: pride and the inestimable respect of your fellow riders.

A. Legislative/Executive Liaison; this person will assist the Director of Advocacy in monitoring legislative developments in Lansing and DC, as well as working with the Michigan DNR and DEQ, and reporting developments to the MMBA State Board. Duties will be of a relatively constant nature and would not demand intense work sessions over a short period of time. Additional duty includes researching various committees and taking seats on the committees.

B. Advocate: this person will be the firebrand, the person to advocate our position very strongly and write white papers on behalf of the MMBA. Since this person will only be called on to handle low frequency but high demand projects, some lighter but more constant duty such as liaison with IMBA and other biking associations (LMB, KyMBA, Hoosier MBA, etc.) will be included; this person will need to be an excellent and convincing writer that will be firm, but not be overly emotional; this person will also have a primary role with the Director of Advocacy to coordinate the Advocacy programming and events. Additional duty includes researching various committees and taking seats on the committees.

C. State Trail Coordinator and Regional Trail Coordinators: there will be 1 State Trail Coordinator that will provide leadership to the Regional Trail Coordinators and act as a liaison to the State Board; someone with a long history in the MMBA would be helpful-- their wealth of experience in opening trails and dealing with land managers would be a most valuable asset. In addition, the State Trail Coordinator would help with the inventory of trails necessary for our insurance policy. There will be multiple Regional Trail Coordinators organized on a regional basis (perhaps Eastern UP, Western UP, Northern LP, Western LP, Eastern LP); the Regional Trail Coordinators will work with local Trail Coordinators and land managers to open new trails and help manage the TC/land manager relationship, along with helping with transition when new TCs are brought in.

Click the email button thingy on the right. Send me (1) a resume or a note on your info, (2) the position you are applying for, and (3) your contact info. I will confirm receipt of your submission with a short email response once I recieve it.

"You're better than you think you are and you can do more than you think you can."

John Gonway
MMBA Director of Advocacy
"Send lawyers, guns and money!!!"
http://precisionmtb.com/
johnnyg

Re: The MMBA Wants You!

Postby froggyrider » January 29th, 2010, 4:48 pm

Hi, John,

I see from the newsletter that some of these positions have been filled. That's great to get more help. Can you explain in more details the responsibility and scope of their duties now that they are in place? How shall the chapter boards/TC's and such interact with the regional TC's, for example. Also, I suspect you have more regional TC openings as the newsletter only listed two. What will be the future as far as soliciting volunteers for these positions and who will choose them? Is this a year to year appointment? This way, if we have current members who want to be "groomed" for future opportunities, we can tell then what they should be doing now.

Thanks, and see you Sunday!

Claudia
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby johnnyg » February 1st, 2010, 1:28 pm

Claudia,

In addition to the information that interested members can find in this thread, I can tell you that we are still looking for Regional Trail Coordinators in Metro Detroit, Western, Mid-Michigan, Northern and Upper Peninsula East and Upper Peninsula West. I hope that the TCs and Chapters will look to the Regional TCs and State TCs as a resource to assist them in problem-solving at the trail and at the park system level. We are finding that some TCs are asking for help with communicating with land managers in general and sometimes as to certain specific issues or problems-- the State and Regional TCs can help find solutions.

The way to gain experience is to become a trail coordinator or help a trail coordinator now at the local level. Initially, I see the Regional TCs and State TCs coming from the following pool of people: retired trail coordinators that are more interested in the communications part of TC duties as they have gotten on in years or else people with TC motivations and ambitions that have communication and dispute resolution skills.

The appointment is on a year-to-year basis with lots of opportunity for growth. Quite honestly, I cannot believe the amount of personal growth that others and I have found in working in these positions.
John Gonway-- insert signature here
johnnyg

Postby froggyrider » February 1st, 2010, 2:49 pm

OK, thanks. So, for the two positions that are now filled- what trails/chapters are in their territories so those TC's know if that is the correct person to reference?
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby johnnyg » February 1st, 2010, 3:08 pm

froggyrider wrote:OK, thanks. So, for the two positions that are now filled- what trails/chapters are in their territories so those TC's know if that is the correct person to reference?

We are still in the process of drawing regional lines of demarcation, so in the meantime they can just contact me.
johnnyg

Postby johnnyg » June 21st, 2010, 12:33 pm

We are looking for:

A. Legislative/Executive Liaison; this person will assist the Director of Advocacy in monitoring legislative developments in Lansing and DC, as well as working with the Michigan DNRE, and reporting developments to the MMBA State Board. Duties will be of a relatively constant nature and would not demand intense work sessions over a short period of time. Additional duty includes researching various committees and taking seats on the committees.
johnnyg

Postby johnnyg » April 26th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Bump: this is a bump of an old thread, but we still need your help with advocacy. Please apply now.
johnnyg

Return to Advocacy