Action Alert: Your Help Needed to Stop Cycling Hate Group

MMBA trail access, advocacy, and related news (non-IMBA Chapter Topics)

Re: Action Alert: Your Help Needed to Stop Cycling Hate Group

Postby jajones » February 8th, 2010, 9:18 pm

barrybs wrote:
jajones wrote:Hey Barry,

Yeah, the signs they are putting up specifically state "Say NO to thru or around Westridge Subdivsion!?, so it sounds like the opposition just doesn't want any pathways anywhere near the sub.

Let those SOB kids and cyclists play in the street (as long as it isn't our street)! :P

The favored option seemed to be the boardwalk around the backside of West Ridge to Mill Creek and then cross over just down stream of the railroad trestle and come through the trestle into the park behind the new library.
HCMA already owns from West Ridge to the Huron River and Mill Creek so I don't think the WR residents will have much say. It appeared that they had enough funding in place and hoped to start late this year.

The Irony of this is that the WR residents have been asking for better pedestrian access to the village. Their only options now are the Viaduct or climbing up and over the railroad tracks, neither of which is very safe. Hopefully this is just a vocal minority.

Barry

Yeah, the HCMP Authority applied for an MDNR grant last year to fund the connector, but the proposal lost out because apparently it didn't score high enough. It is being resubmitted this spring, and there is a belief that it will go through this time because there were errors in the scoring in the first proposal. Even though the one route is on HCMA property, I still worry that a vocal minority could cause the brakes to be hit (a'la Mr. Silvers example above).
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)
Advocacy Committee, Michigan Mountain Biking Association (MMBA)
jajones

Postby bill_m » February 9th, 2010, 8:42 am

jajones wrote:Yeah, the HCMP Authority applied for an MDNR grant last year to fund the connector, but the proposal lost out because apparently it didn't score high enough. It is being resubmitted this spring, and there is a belief that it will go through this time because there were errors in the scoring in the first proposal. Even though the one route is on HCMA property, I still worry that a vocal minority could cause the brakes to be hit (a'la Mr. Silvers example above).

I submitted a letter of support on behalf of the Poto Chapter for the Grant application. I'll do the same for the next one.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby djansen00 » February 9th, 2010, 8:58 am

I talked to a friend of mine this morning who lives in Westridge and whose property backs up to the river. She's pretty involved in the neighborhood and she's not completely sure who is responsible for the signs but she thinks its one family...maybe two. She said she thought those families weren't as concerned about the boardwalk along the river option as they were about the path down Dexter-Pinckney. That path, apparently, would cut right through or closely border some homeowners backyards. She also said that most people in Westridge definitely want some kind of solution for accessing the village and they see this as their only opportunity to make that happen. It sounds like most of the Westridge folks would support the boardwalk along the river option as a means of getting this access.

She also mentioned that she thought there was a meeting about this last night...as well as next week. Does anyone know about that?
djansen00

Postby winbert » February 9th, 2010, 9:27 am

djansen00 wrote:She also said that most people in Westridge definitely want some kind of solution for accessing the village and they see this as their only opportunity to make that happen. It sounds like most of the Westridge folks would support the boardwalk along the river option as a means of getting this access.

Forgive my speaking from ignorance, as I'm not experienced in handling these struggles, but if djansen00's friend is right it sounds like we need to invite the whole neighborhood to this meeting. Seems like a majority from the neighborhood supporting the pathway would be a lot more convincing than just a group of us crazy bike-access zealots ;-)...

Hope to make it out next Tuesday,
winbert

p.s. Is there a legitimate course of action to have these "illegal" signs removed, or do we need some mysteriously strong winds to rip them all down during the night? ;-)
jajones wrote:Last week, they illegally posted large professionally made red signs all over trees and lampposts in the Dexter area reading, ?We Aren?t the MetroPark Bike Path!? Say NO to thru or around Westridge Subdivsion!? The signs also have a no bikes allowed graphic of a cyclist with a slash thru.
Avitar = grooming my future stoker
"A 29er's a greyhound, a 26er's a rabbit." - Miker J
"My handlebars are real unusual looking too....so I am legit." - mward
"Steel is real. Aluminum is real too, it just doesn't rhyme." - mward
winbert

Postby jajones » February 9th, 2010, 9:35 am

Amazingly enough, it seems that some mysterious element came along and made the signs disappear!
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee, operating under the Potawatomi Chapter of the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA)
jajones

Postby bikemerc » February 9th, 2010, 2:57 pm

mischief managed!
bikemerc

Postby djansen00 » February 9th, 2010, 3:09 pm

Here's an email response I received from another friend in Westridge...sort of confirming my earlier conversation.

---------------------

"There are number of plans on the table. The metro park owns the property behind ****** and your old place but they don't want to use it because it's lowlands and would cost more to build. So they want to put the trail next to the road (actually up on the little hill, I think) and wrap it behind ****** and ******s place (along the tracks). It would go under the bridge an pop out in Warrior Creek.

I think Westridge has to be careful because I'm sure the bike path will become our access to town for the long haul. As you know we don't have good access to town now (think kids, old people, handicapped) -- I want to keep the path and the access issues separate and address both.

I think having the path so close to the houses of all the people next to Island Lk road is a concern... they have very small back yards to begin with. My hope is that the path will take the scenic route through the back of the property.

Not sure who put the signs out there but they were picking a fight, I guess. I've not attend the meetings and probably won't but I do hope to vote as a Westridge homeowner (which they are planning on doing). The property in question is common property in the "condo" association and I think the residence should have a say. "
djansen00

Postby barrybs » February 9th, 2010, 4:21 pm

The main reason that the route around the back side costs so much is the source of the grant money, (I don't remember who), requires the boardwalk to be 14' wide for "safety". The ones on the new Kensington to Milford connector are 14' wide and are huge. The theory is that if you take the typical 10' width of most of todays paths you need to add 2' on each side for handlebar clearance to the railing. This makes for a massive, expensive, obtrusive boardwalk. Stupid and wastefull !

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby pimpalicous » February 12th, 2010, 7:42 am

Is Westridge in Dexter Township or Dexter Village? If it's in the village, whoever put up the signs may be in violation of the village sign ordinace (yes they have one) and subject to legal procedings (criminal prosecution). Just aanother way to force the issue and have the signs removed!!!!! 'Cause the wind can only blow down so many signs, but the Man can remove them all!!!!

FWIW this is/ was a co-project with WCPARC and Bob Tetens is the WCPARC Director, is a Dexter Twp. resident and used to be the Twp. Supervisor. We may want to get him up to speed on this issue. PM me if I can be of service in making this contact.

PEACE OUT!!!!!
pimpalicous

Postby djansen00 » February 12th, 2010, 9:20 am

Westridge is in the village....one of the reasons I moved out of there. Property taxes are outrageous.
djansen00

Postby jajones » February 12th, 2010, 11:53 am

djansen00 wrote:Westridge is in the village....one of the reasons I moved out of there. Property taxes are outrageous.

I just paid mine this morning and can support your statement!

In general, I don't mind paying taxes if I believe they are fair and go toward things I believe in. However, I don't feel my property taxes meet either criteria.
Jason Aric Jones, Chair
jajones

Postby Bernard Smith » February 14th, 2010, 12:16 pm

I am not familiar with West Ridge rout but just curiousity; If the Bell road bridge were still in place, would that dirt road rout provide a good option for a paved pathway? If so, would the Metro Pk consider a pedestrian bridge?
I'll try to make the meeting, & promise not to open my mouth regarding obscure options :)
bernie
Bernard Smith

Postby pimpalicous » February 15th, 2010, 9:13 am

Bell Rd. is several miles north of teh Ewst Ridge Sub., thus would not help this particular situatiom. Although if the Bell Rd. brigde were still there it would allow access to areas that depend on travelling North Territorial Rd.
pimpalicous

Postby barrybs » February 15th, 2010, 5:39 pm

I attended the public meeting in Dexter several months ago concerning this project. Some folks that lived up off of Fleming road asked about a connector from Dexter-Pinckney rd. into the trail, possibly along the North end of the golf course property. It seemed like a good idea. Might be worth bringing up at the meeting tomorrow.

Barry
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby Este99 » February 21st, 2010, 4:15 pm

I am a current Westridge-owning (megatax-paying) Poto-riding mountain biker, who wants as much as anyone for the Metropark-to-Dexter trail to succeed. Currently, we bushwhack off the end of the metropark trail cul-de-sac through to the golf course and along side the RC airstrip to get home from the Poto. I didnt know about the trail meeting on the 16th, and only found out after seeing the illegal red signs. Check out the Westridge homeowners association website for the communication on this issue. http://westridgeassociation.org/MetPk.html. In my opinion, Alternative 1 is the best option. My home doesnt back up to any of the affected areas, but I wouldnt care if it did. I'd build a spur right to my back door. I will do my best to spread the word to neighbors who will support the trail, and form a vigilante mob with torches and pitchforks to find out whos against the trail.
Steve
Este99

PreviousNext

Return to Advocacy