CRAMBA: Wilderness Trail (Holly Rec Area)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Wilderness Trail (Holly Rec Area)

Postby joemel08 » August 14th, 2016, 3:09 pm

Rode it Saturday, trail was very over grown with thorns and a tree over the trail, these issues are only from trail Head around 18 back to McGinnis rd. Once you cross McGinnis the trail was clear. Any clue why marker #2 says no wheeled traffic?
joemel08

Postby Zoo1424 » September 18th, 2016, 1:47 pm

Rode the Groveland Twp Hall loop today in both directions. Wow. What a blast, and a huge difference from Holdridge. The trail reminded me of old school trails like Ogemaw Hills Pathway and Rifle River Rec. It is very scenic - a stark contrast to Holdridge which is more jungle like. Both directions were fun but I preferred going counter clockwise. Some good tough climbs, but the downhill payoff was worth it. I also confirmed with the DNR that bikes are allowed on all the trails but the Lakeshore trail.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
09 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
14 Specialized Crave SL
14 Salsa Beargrease
Zoo1424

Postby Josh McCreedy » December 21st, 2017, 8:51 pm

I followed someone's fat tracks on the Wilderness Loop tonight. The trail was mostly booted snow, pretty bumpy, with occasional melted out, icy footprints and bare dirt. It was pretty fun, especially combined with some park roads.
Josh McCreedy

Postby DynoDon » February 17th, 2021, 4:41 pm

I was up to Wilderness today, no groom, I hope Josh is ok,, with the covid ya never know,, man I was bummed Thats such good trail.. it wasn't rideable for me,, a few cross country ski tracks, I didn't want to mess them up,, so I went down to River Bends, hope your ok Josh..none of the trails are packing good now with the powder and cold temps,, ruts, crash devils, (not snow angels LOL) its mostly Josh's awesome grooming that makes that trail so good...
When was the first bicycle race?
When the second one was built !!!
DynoDon

Postby c0nsumer » February 18th, 2021, 7:14 am

DynoDon wrote:I was up to Wilderness today, no groom, I hope Josh is ok,, with the covid ya never know,, man I was bummed Thats such good trail.. it wasn't rideable for me,, a few cross country ski tracks, I didn't want to mess them up,, so I went down to River Bends, hope your ok Josh..none of the trails are packing good now with the powder and cold temps,, ruts, crash devils, (not snow angels LOL) its mostly Josh's awesome grooming that makes that trail so good...

He had snowmobile issues.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Treasurer

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby DynoDon » February 18th, 2021, 8:49 am

thanx Steve, I'm glad its just a machine,, not Josh...that had problems..
DynoDon

Postby Josh McCreedy » Yesterday, 12:44 pm

Hey, Don, sorry for the wasted trip and sorry I didn't get to see you. It was a tough stretch, and I've been spread a little thin trying to keep two systems 35 minutes apart groomed. The massive burst of powdery snow didn't help, and I've got a few nagging injuries making things tougher. Cue the violins.

On a positive note, the highly effective Lapeer volunteers should be able to take over grooming Oakdale next winter. Plans are in the works for a race, profits of which will be put back into the trails (grooming, tool shed, tools, etc.).

The Wilderness Trail grooming program has been advertised on all of the DNR winter activity publicity. My goal next winter will be to provide more frequent grooms; this will be much more plausible next season as we're buying a place right next to the trail. I will be meeting with park staff to give feedback and kick around ways to improve the program. It's not likely that we'll be able to separate uses out there, but maybe some education about winter grooming and etiquette for all users regarding flotation/sinking. Generally, more traffic is the answer, more trails might also help.

Another goal will be to improve conditions posting on this and SE Michigan Trail Conditions. I'll either get my personal FB page working or hand it off to someone who can post during or shortly after grooming. Every groom takes a considerable amount of pre- and post- work, so developing some partnerships for communication, and the actual grooming, needs to be part of the future of the grooming plan.
Josh McCreedy

Postby DynoDon » Yesterday, 6:32 pm

thanks for all you do Josh,, It was a good ride up there, it would have been nice to ride, but I got a ride in at River Bends, and got to eat at Mexican Village, so it was a good day,,maybe I can make it up to your other trails this year.. I seen vids,, good job,, long way for me, crosstown traffic is the worst thing,, but on the weekends,, maybe.. I keep pretty busy out at DTE,, an Poto is getting a facelift, well thanks for the update,, yeah the powder didn't work anywhere this year,, thanx again..
DynoDon

Next

Return to Trail Conditions