SE Michigan: Lake Orion High School Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: SE Michigan: Lake Orion High School Trails

Postby jreyst » October 18th, 2017, 8:57 pm

Yes, please leave the leaves! The trails deal with water much better when they're leaf covered.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2016 Giant Trance 3
Winter: 2018 Specialized Fatboy
Backup: 2007 Giant Trance I
jreyst

Postby Steve_Kinley » October 18th, 2017, 9:00 pm

Yes, please leave the leaves! The trails deal with water much better when they're leaf covered.

Don't worry, we have no intention of clearing the trail. The leaves should break down earlier next year as it appears that the trail is getting more traffic since the redo this summer.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby madmike23 » November 27th, 2017, 10:04 am

Rode LOHS Trail on Saturday 11/25. Trail was in great shape. Lots of leaves, but other than that, completely rideable and no mud. I forgot how much climbing there was on the is trail. It was a refreshing change.
madmike23

Postby flamingo » November 27th, 2017, 2:57 pm

I forgot how much climbing there was on the is trail. It was a refreshing change.

Yes. Lots of riders totally underestimate the trail. I myself rode it over fifty times this year. The leaves are better worn in this year than last year at this time.
Let's make 26ers great again!
flamingo

Postby flamingo » March 22nd, 2018, 9:13 am

Stopped in on my way from work yesterday just to have a quick look. Walked the first mile of the trail. The very entrance is still a big no go - there is still snow. I was expecting to see lots of mud afterwards but to my surprise the trail was in a reasonable shape. There were few slickish areas that can be walked around but no deep mud. The trail was definitively good for fat bikes. Looks like it is drying nicely so I can imagine that by Monday it should be ok to ride. Even if the entrance is still wet one can use the old one I suppose. The first section of the trail is usually the muddiest so I imagine from what I saw is that the rest of the trail should be OK.
flamingo

Postby KLydesdale » March 22nd, 2018, 1:10 pm

I fatbiked there last evening and it was a really fun ride. Most of the trail was dry, leaf covered or had hard crunchy snow on it. Just a few splattery sections.

KLydesdale

Postby flamingo » April 13th, 2018, 9:59 pm

Rode it this afternoon. The trail still has some soft spots and puddles but is good enough not to leave ruts. Just in case I used the old entrance (it is more fun anyways). Dragon chase is still very soft in one area and it will need some trimming as there are some potential face slappers. The fields (no longer official part of the trail) has also one section that is very soft (just before the last climb towards the exit). Considering the time of the year the trail is unusually clean when it comes to twigs and branches.
flamingo

Postby Steve_Kinley » April 14th, 2018, 6:27 am

Yes, the trail overall was in pretty good shape until this rain. I plan on scheduling a trail day next month to both trim and make some tweaks to the trail. Eventually the old entrance and the east section you rode will become overgrown and not fun to ride since they are no longer part of the official trail and will not be maintained. The grass paths through the field may not be cut either unless another school group is planning on using them.
Steve_Kinley

Postby AaronEvan » July 11th, 2018, 2:52 pm

Is the trail marked? I'll jumping on from BMS. It's been a few years since I was out there, plus it was in the winter after the race so I was able to find my way.
AaronEvan

Postby Steve_Kinley » August 11th, 2018, 8:34 am

The trail has been marked with various color tape for the MiSCA race in September. Do not use the markings to try and follow the regular trail. The normal route arrows will get refreshed soon and hopefully additional reflective markers put in.
Steve_Kinley

Postby flamingo » February 24th, 2019, 7:27 pm

Somebody rode a snowmobile on the first 3 miles of the trail and neatly groomed it. The rest of the trail has a narrow patch of the snow compacted by few fatbikes. It should be stud or fat rideable once it freezes again.
flamingo

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions