SE Michigan: Lake Orion High School Trails

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: SE Michigan: Lake Orion High School Trails

Postby Steve_Kinley » April 19th, 2020, 6:41 pm

For the record, the DNR did not shut down the trail but could have. We recognized that we were in error and correcting the situation. No conspiracy theories, no big brother. We were wrong on the property lines, period. TBD what will happen in the future. Enough said.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley
 
Posts: 2799
Joined: June 20th, 2002, 3:35 pm

Re: SE Michigan: Lake Orion High School Trails

Postby flamingo » April 23rd, 2020, 8:13 pm

If DNR did not shut down the trails. Why is it then DNR being notified if an innocent dog walker unblocks the trail because the poor guy just wants to be able to walk his dog. Sounds to me like some vigilante activity. Isn't it DNR's job to block and supervise trails on State land?
Let's make 26ers great again!
User avatar
flamingo
 
Posts: 651
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 8:51 am
Location: Oxford, MI

Re: SE Michigan: Lake Orion High School Trails

Postby b_b » April 23rd, 2020, 9:15 pm

I once had a friend tell me he always kicks off the cruise and slows a little when he sees a cop with radar on the freeway. I thought that's dump by then the cop already has you busted, but then I thought some more and he's basically showing the cop he respects his authority which might help the situation and certainly can't hurt.
b_b
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: May 30th, 2010, 9:55 am

Re: SE Michigan: Lake Orion High School Trails

Postby flamingo » April 26th, 2020, 2:13 pm

b_b wrote:I once had a friend tell me he always kicks off the cruise and slows a little when he sees a cop with radar on the freeway. I thought that's dump by then the cop already has you busted, but then I thought some more and he's basically showing the cop he respects his authority which might help the situation and certainly can't hurt.


Sorry don't understand your point. Whoever is blocking the trail has no legal authority. If he thinks that it is legal to move branches from one place to another, then he better not complain that other people are doing the same thing in reverse order. He actually set up cameras there to do some vigilante activity. Bottom line: it it is legal to walk the state land. The DNR did not block the trail or order the blockage. It is legal to remove the obstacles from one's path as that person walks or jogs. Another thought. We all have realized that during the Covid lockdowns the state parks are overflowing with people. Now more than ever we need more places to hike and walk and keep social distance. The actions of person who block it are simply irrational and mean spirited. Clearly his personal ego and quest for power is greater than the common good. A strava global heat map can be checked to see that in fact there has been foot traffic over the entire trail network. Yes he has a good following of people who participate in LOHS cycling program and who cheer his every decision no matter how irrational it is. He thinks that that gives him the authority over what happens over the former trail area located on state land. If he can't have it than nobody can. What a regressive logic.
Let's make 26ers great again!
User avatar
flamingo
 
Posts: 651
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 8:51 am
Location: Oxford, MI

Re: SE Michigan: Lake Orion High School Trails

Postby Steve_Kinley » April 26th, 2020, 3:49 pm

A quote from an email correspondence I had with the head ranger of Bald Mountain this past week.

"Thanks for the update Steve. Please report to us with any evidence you have of people trying to re-open the trails and we will handle accordingly."
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley
 
Posts: 2799
Joined: June 20th, 2002, 3:35 pm

Re: SE Michigan: Lake Orion High School Trails

Postby flamingo » April 27th, 2020, 7:18 am

There were 10 years to reach and talk to DNR and "legalize" the trail but no time has been found. However there is time now to talk to DNR about enforcing the closure of the trail. :roll:


•Unlawful to destroy, damage, or remove any State resources like animals, trees, shrubs, wildflowers, grasses, other vegetation, etc. - except in DNR approved plots. Exceptions: lawful personal take of mushrooms, berries, edible fruits or nuts for personal use (to 25 lbs.) allowed by DNR or with DNR permit. All animal take or harvest is DNR licensed.

I don't see any mention of dead wood or fallen branches.
Let's make 26ers great again!
User avatar
flamingo
 
Posts: 651
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 8:51 am
Location: Oxford, MI

Re: SE Michigan: Lake Orion High School Trails

Postby KLydesdale » April 27th, 2020, 10:54 am

flamingo wrote:There were 10 years to reach and talk to DNR and "legalize" the trail but no time has been found. However there is time now to talk to DNR about enforcing the closure of the trail. :roll:


•Unlawful to destroy, damage, or remove any State resources like animals, trees, shrubs, wildflowers, grasses, other vegetation, etc. - except in DNR approved plots. Exceptions: lawful personal take of mushrooms, berries, edible fruits or nuts for personal use (to 25 lbs.) allowed by DNR or with DNR permit. All animal take or harvest is DNR licensed.

I don't see any mention of dead wood or fallen branche.



Seems to me that a mistake was made in illegally creating a trail on DNR land then the mistake was rectified by closing off the trail, opening/recreating that trail again is also a mistake and illegal. And the fact of the matter is now that it has been brought to the DNR’s attention, they can’t look the other way.
KLydesdale
 
Posts: 2220
Joined: June 20th, 2002, 10:15 am
Location: Clarkston

Re: SE Michigan: Lake Orion High School Trails

Postby flamingo » April 27th, 2020, 11:12 am

KLydesdale wrote:
flamingo wrote:There were 10 years to reach and talk to DNR and "legalize" the trail but no time has been found. However there is time now to talk to DNR about enforcing the closure of the trail. :roll:


•Unlawful to destroy, damage, or remove any State resources like animals, trees, shrubs, wildflowers, grasses, other vegetation, etc. - except in DNR approved plots. Exceptions: lawful personal take of mushrooms, berries, edible fruits or nuts for personal use (to 25 lbs.) allowed by DNR or with DNR permit. All animal take or harvest is DNR licensed.

I don't see any mention of dead wood or fallen branche.



Seems to me that a mistake was made in illegally creating a trail on DNR land then the mistake was rectified by closing off the trail, opening/recreating that trail again is also a mistake and illegal. And the fact of the matter is now that it has been brought to the DNR’s attention, they can’t look the other way.


And sadly the "don't ask don't tell" policy that has worked so well for so many years can not be applied any more.
Let's make 26ers great again!
User avatar
flamingo
 
Posts: 651
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 8:51 am
Location: Oxford, MI

Re: SE Michigan: Lake Orion High School Trails

Postby DNR_Bald Mountain » April 28th, 2020, 2:56 pm

flamingo wrote:There were 10 years to reach and talk to DNR and "legalize" the trail but no time has been found. However there is time now to talk to DNR about enforcing the closure of the trail. :roll:


•Unlawful to destroy, damage, or remove any State resources like animals, trees, shrubs, wildflowers, grasses, other vegetation, etc. - except in DNR approved plots. Exceptions: lawful personal take of mushrooms, berries, edible fruits or nuts for personal use (to 25 lbs.) allowed by DNR or with DNR permit. All animal take or harvest is DNR licensed.

I don't see any mention of dead wood or fallen branches.



I have responded to your PM.

Also wanted you to see this: "General Rules, unlawful acts on land owned or under control of the Department: R299.922(h): Destroy, damage, or remove a tree, including dead and downed tree and woody debris, shrub, wildflower, or other vegetation."

This applies directly to the creation/maintenance of non-designated trails.

Also: "State parks and Recreation areas; unlawful acts: R299.927(f): Ride a bicycle of any kind, except on a pathway, road, parking lot, or a designated, signed bicycle trail."

Building the trails on Bald Mountain property was in violation of R299.922(h) as well as recreational trespass laws. Using the trails violated R299.927(f). Closing the trails on Bald Mountain property is being done with our acknowledgment and appreciation. Re-opening them will violate R299.922(h). Please respect this situation as is. We will be working with CRAMBA and LOHS in the future to improve what we can.
DNR_Bald Mountain
 
Posts: 22
Joined: November 18th, 2014, 11:52 am

Re: SE Michigan: Lake Orion High School Trails

Postby jreyst » April 28th, 2020, 8:00 pm

Thanks for the response DNR! That should hopefully be the end of this back and forth.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2020 Giant Trance 3 29er
Winter: 2018 Specialized Fatboy
Backup: 2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
User avatar
jreyst
 
Posts: 197
Joined: August 5th, 2009, 10:31 am

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 27 guests