Top of Michigan: Shingle Mill Pathway

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Top of Michigan: Shingle Mill Pathway

Postby Nelg » July 23rd, 2012, 10:04 am

Please use this thread to post comments and conditions of the Shingle Mill Pathway.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Re: NMMBA: Shingle Mill Pathway

Postby Davidpeckjr » August 1st, 2012, 7:29 am

If you have not ridden this trail you have done yourself a dis-service. There are a few options as to distance covered, however the 11 mile loop is the only loop with planking. Highly recommend this trail and looking forward to riding it more. This is my second year of riding and wished I made the trip last year.
2013 Miles (29er mnt=0, road=0) ('86 Schwinn=0)
Trail Maintenance hrs =0
Trails ridden;
Davidpeckjr

Postby Davidpeckjr » August 14th, 2012, 9:22 pm

Had another great ride today. I would suggest you take the 10 mile loop. It is has a much better views than the 11 mile loop. Jeff and I also rode a bit of the High country pathway. You should try that as well.
Trail Maintenance hrs =0
Trails ridden;
Davidpeckjr

Postby Mack » August 15th, 2012, 8:08 am

Davidpeckjr wrote:Had another great ride today. I would suggest you take the 10 mile loop. It is has a much better views than the 11 mile loop. Jeff and I also rode a bit of the High country pathway. You should try that as well.

SMP is one of those trails once you ride it you will want to ride it again and again. I always like to stop and check out section 4
lake.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49' N ~ 83° 1' 49' W Weekends 44° 46' 57' N ~ 85° 1' 14' W

Postby Davidpeckjr » August 15th, 2012, 8:23 am

agreed, there was a tree down at about the 1.6 mile. and yup , I do want to ride it again. And I may take another camera. The lakes are really nice. I shot some video with my swann sports camera. I will have to post it online sometime.
Trail Maintenance hrs =0
Trails ridden;
Davidpeckjr

Postby vette-ss » August 23rd, 2012, 12:47 pm

Where is the best starting point for this trail? At the Pigeon Bridge Campground right off of Sturgeon Valley Rd? If you have to choose between the 10 and 11 mile loop, which is preferred? Any issues with riding one of those sections backward to see it all?
vette-ss

Postby sndmn2 » August 23rd, 2012, 2:18 pm

I started at the DNR building. There is no problem starting by the campground. There is a parking lot right across the street. The trail picks up on either the left of the guard rail or right across the street. I rode it back in July. The trail gets little use so there will be a couple sections that sorta dissapers. I was on the long loop and I am not sure exactly where those sections were. Somewhere between #8 and #6 if my memory isn't failing me. Oh, No cell service.
sndmn2

Postby Mack » August 23rd, 2012, 2:27 pm

vette-ss wrote:Where is the best starting point for this trail? At the Pigeon Bridge Campground right off of Sturgeon Valley Rd? If you have to choose between the 10 and 11 mile loop, which is preferred? Any issues with riding one of those sections backward to see it all?

Yes, the campground off of Sturgeon Valley Rd is the starting point. I like them both, but if I had to pick I would go with the 10 mile loop. Even thou you miss
section 4 lake, which is really a cool green color. Do not ride it backwards you are asking for a problem, it's only 2 way for hikers. There are some hills you can get
going pretty fast on, and having a head on would not be fun at all.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Mack » August 23rd, 2012, 2:37 pm

sndmn2 wrote:I started at the DNR building. There is no problem starting by the campground. There is a parking lot right across the street. The trail picks up on either the left of the guard rail or right across the street. I rode it back in July. The trail gets little use so there will be a couple sections that sorta dissapers. I was on the long loop and I am not sure exactly where those sections were. Somewhere between #8 and #6 if my memory isn't failing me. Oh, No cell service.

The trail head for SMP is actually in the campground across the street from the parking lot. There is a trail head map at the entrance to the trail. SMP gets
used enough that you shouldn't lose the trail. The HCP on the other hand can get hard to follow in spots
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby bh357 » August 23rd, 2012, 9:04 pm

Mack wrote:
vette-ss wrote:Where is the best starting point for this trail? At the Pigeon Bridge Campground right off of Sturgeon Valley Rd? If you have to choose between the 10 and 11 mile loop, which is preferred? Any issues with riding one of those sections backward to see it all?

Yes, the campground off of Sturgeon Valley Rd is the starting point. I like them both, but if I had to pick I would go with the 10 mile loop. Even thou you miss
section 4 lake, which is really a cool green color. Do not ride it backwards you are asking for a problem, it's only 2 way for hikers. There are some hills you can get

As far as I'm aware, you can ride either way. I've gone south on both the eastern and western legs while riding the HCP.

Glen, how about adding the HCP to the thread title :wink:
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby vette-ss » August 23rd, 2012, 9:59 pm

Yeah, I wasn't going to ride the whole thing backward. Just thought that if I was going to make the drive north I'd try to see it all. I could do the 11 mile loop in the normal direction, then take that stretch that is the "10 mile loop" backward and do the 11 mile part a 2nd time, then complete the loop. Looks to be a mile or two in reverse direction. Riding with the wife, so I don't think we'll be able to do 2 complete laps (10 and 11).
vette-ss

Postby Mack » August 24th, 2012, 8:13 am

bh357 wrote:
Mack wrote:

As far as I'm aware, you can ride either way. I've gone south on both the eastern and western legs while riding the HCP.

Glen, how about adding the HCP to the thread title :wink:

HCP is bi- directional. SMP is a stand alone loop of the HCP and is one way for bikers. Stop in at the campground at look at the map the info is there.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Mack » August 24th, 2012, 8:18 am

vette-ss wrote:Yeah, I wasn't going to ride the whole thing backward. Just thought that if I was going to make the drive north I'd try to see it all. I could do the 11 mile loop in the normal direction, then take that stretch that is the "10 mile loop" backward and do the 11 mile part a 2nd time, then complete the loop. Looks to be a mile or two in reverse direction. Riding with the wife, so I don't think we'll be able to do 2 complete laps (10 and 11).

That shouldn't be a problem, just be careful. If you are riding during the week chances are you won't see a soul. Even on the weekends it
doesn't get a a lot of traffic.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Davidpeckjr » August 25th, 2012, 5:34 pm

I ran into a camper the last time I rode(not in the camp grounds). The 10 mile loop I think is nicer to look at. The camp ground, I was informed, has an natural well. Flows by itself and the water is good. I also ran over a snake in the large field near the end. Just a northern ribbon snake. Nice trail though. Cannot wait to ride it again.
Trail Maintenance hrs =0
Trails ridden;
Davidpeckjr

Postby Mack » August 26th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Davidpeckjr wrote:I ran into a camper the last time I rode(not in the camp grounds). The 10 mile loop I think is nicer to look at. The camp ground, I was informed, has an natural well. Flows by itself and the water is good. I also ran over a snake in the large field near the end. Just a northern ribbon snake. Nice trail though. Cannot wait to ride it again.

The water is great and cold!!
Paul McAllister
Mack

Next

Return to Trail Conditions