Top of Michigan: Shingle Mill Pathway

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: NMMBA: Shingle Mill Pathway

Postby Mack » August 24th, 2012, 8:18 am

vette-ss wrote:Yeah, I wasn't going to ride the whole thing backward. Just thought that if I was going to make the drive north I'd try to see it all. I could do the 11 mile loop in the normal direction, then take that stretch that is the "10 mile loop" backward and do the 11 mile part a 2nd time, then complete the loop. Looks to be a mile or two in reverse direction. Riding with the wife, so I don't think we'll be able to do 2 complete laps (10 and 11).

That shouldn't be a problem, just be careful. If you are riding during the week chances are you won't see a soul. Even on the weekends it
doesn't get a a lot of traffic.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49' N ~ 83° 1' 49' W Weekends 44° 46' 57' N ~ 85° 1' 14' W

Postby Davidpeckjr » August 25th, 2012, 5:34 pm

I ran into a camper the last time I rode(not in the camp grounds). The 10 mile loop I think is nicer to look at. The camp ground, I was informed, has an natural well. Flows by itself and the water is good. I also ran over a snake in the large field near the end. Just a northern ribbon snake. Nice trail though. Cannot wait to ride it again.
2013 Miles (29er mnt=0, road=0) ('86 Schwinn=0)
Trail Maintenance hrs =0
Trails ridden;
Davidpeckjr

Postby Mack » August 26th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Davidpeckjr wrote:I ran into a camper the last time I rode(not in the camp grounds). The 10 mile loop I think is nicer to look at. The camp ground, I was informed, has an natural well. Flows by itself and the water is good. I also ran over a snake in the large field near the end. Just a northern ribbon snake. Nice trail though. Cannot wait to ride it again.

The water is great and cold!!
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby 2slo2endo » August 30th, 2012, 11:39 am

I am visiting the area this weekend (just west of Gaylord) and I am planning to ride this trail on Saturday morning w/ my 10 year old son. he rides pretty well up to about 12 miles on riverbends and CRPT, his climbing skills are where he suffers... should I have any concerns?
2slo2endo

Postby Mack » August 30th, 2012, 12:01 pm

2slo2endo wrote:I am visiting the area this weekend (just west of Gaylord) and I am planning to ride this trail on Saturday morning w/ my 10 year old son. he rides pretty well up to about 12 miles on riverbends and CRPT, his climbing skills are where he suffers... should I have any concerns?

He'll do just fine Paul, he may have to walk a hill or 2 and maybe the boardwalk. But he should do alright. If you can, go either really early or late in the
day towards dusk. You will haver a better chance at seeing some elk at those times of day. We are not going up this weekend, to many fudgies up on
the holiday weekends for us, or I would meet up with you.
Last edited by Mack on August 30th, 2012, 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby 2slo2endo » August 30th, 2012, 12:27 pm

Great - i Was hoping to see Elk. I think I'll wear the gopro... if I do I will post on Utube.
2slo2endo

Postby Mack » August 30th, 2012, 12:38 pm

2slo2endo wrote:Great - i Was hoping to see Elk. I think I'll wear the gopro... if I do I will post on Utube.

If you want to try and see some with the family, there is an elk viewing area off of Sturgeon Valley Rd. From what
the CO's have told me in the past, there is a pretty good chance you will see some there right at dusk.
Paul McAllister
Mack

Postby Nelg » August 30th, 2012, 1:01 pm

Mack wrote:
2slo2endo wrote:Great - i Was hoping to see Elk. I think I'll wear the gopro... if I do I will post on Utube.

If you want to try and see some with the family, there is an elk viewing area off of Sturgeon Valley Rd. From what
the CO's have told me in the past, there is a pretty good chance you will see some there right at dusk.

There are elk and deer all over on Sturgeon Valley road between Twin Lakes and Tin Shanty and along Tin Shanty in both directions but mostly to the south. Back road riding that area closing in on the sunset can be fun since you can lift your head up and see whats around. Concentrating on keeping a bike on the trail leads to lots of missed wildlife.

Your son should have no problem with the Shingle Mill except for the northwest corner where the HCP runs north to Fishermans road. Its' a pretty big climb to get up there, but the downhill afterwards is a hoot.

Enjoy!
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby 2slo2endo » September 2nd, 2012, 4:04 pm

We had a good time Saturday Morning- left the trailhead about 9:15 (way too late for wildlife), but I still managed to take 2 dives on the trail- 1 because I was looking around instead of paying attention, once on the 6 mile loop when I rode into an animal den dug right into the sand... :o . We had lunch at Section 4 lake - beautiful! Bit off more than we could chew with the 6 mile loop - we were both pretty grumpy by the time I crashed, and didn't have much fun after that. We walked the boardwalk and the root maze that followed... I got some video of the first part of the ride - I will post a link after I edit. Lots of sand in lots of places, and I was VERY slow with a 10 year old in tow (I'm slow anyway)! Didn't want any accidents w/o cell service though... 10 mile loop was my Favorite!
Oh yeah - got a little mixed up at the 2nd campground- did i miss some blue markers?
2slo2endo

Postby 2slo2endo » September 7th, 2012, 12:47 pm

I did shoot video, but only got up to the Section 4 lake, then I shut it off, and forgot to turn it back on until the 2nd loop about where we made the 6 mile cut. I will try to edit it down and post a link here...
2slo2endo

Postby Nelg » October 8th, 2012, 1:24 pm

The elk are bugling, the colors are blazing and the Shingle Mill is rolling great. Hit it soon before it's under snow!
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions