Western: Merrell Trail

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: WMMBA: Merrell Trail

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » September 6th, 2012, 11:03 pm

G.Cook wrote:
Trail is in terrible shape imo. Many corners have already been totally eroded by whatever incompetent riders cant handle there bikes. Most of the trail has gotten even bumpier even with all the riders, I saw a couple people bite it and heard a guy say he slammed at tree hard, and have seen many people walking out with trashed bikes. Some technical climbs are so eroded that ur pretty much climbing on the side of trees. I know the lack of rain isnt helping but I cant believe it seems like the trail has had a years worth of hard riding in a week. And no its not due to the amount of people, I can already tell and have heard that people would rather go elsewhere now. I wont go on because I dont mind this trail however similar to luton. Im pretty sure that reversing the direction is seriously degrading the trail very quickly since different lines are used and the whole width of the trail is tore up. Sorry to be so negative but maybe you should start thinking outside the box, because clearly what your doing now is not sustainable or safe for rec riders. I have seen many attempts at patching spots but they are quickly tore up. Next time seek more input for design from real riders and not engineers and administrators.
After doing three hard laps my bike and back, and butt couldnt take anymore.
I would not suggest riding here unless you have a full sussy.

Yeah, well , I'll think I'll wait for the opinion of somebody that I know for sure knows what the *beep* they are talking about before I go someplace else with my hardtail.
Like the guys who put their hearts and souls into bringing this trail into fruition from idea to tamping the last bit of earth on that trail tread.

Im not saying you shouldnt try it out. Everyone likes different stuff, my trail of choice is The Ski area though it has some actual climbs and the difficulty level and hills keeps the riffraff away. If you prefer the flatter easier trails as most do then by all means. I love all the obstacles as well. But your only kiddin yourselves, after seeing how far the trail has eroded after only one week ur gonna be eatin your words, literally, just like the guys I talked to today did.
If you think im gonna give them props because they keep building beginner level trails then think again. Next time you build a trail for more advanced level riders and racers I would gladly take time off work to help. Say what you want. :roll:
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby G.Cook » September 6th, 2012, 11:53 pm

I have been there and done it. Had a blast. Know the guys who planned it and got it built. They are the best at what they do in my opinion. My home trail is the Poto and the "riff raff" of any skill level are more then welcome to give it a go.
G.Cook

Postby yamaha13 » September 7th, 2012, 12:42 am

GRXC mountainbutter all you do is go on the MMBA forum and complain about all the trails, SGA, Ski Area, Luton and now Merrell. You complain aboug how the fast guys are rerouting the trails, how the inexperienced are terring up tbe trails and how the MMBA members and volunteers ruin the trails. NOW your complaining about how they were built and by who. You Mr. WHINY BUTT have absolutely no idea what your spewing out of your sewer hole. PLEASE do us a favor and stay off the trails and of the forum enough complaining is Enough!
yamaha13

Postby choppe » September 7th, 2012, 5:45 am

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:
G.Cook wrote:
Trail is in terrible shape imo. Many corners have already been totally eroded by whatever incompetent riders cant handle there bikes. Most of the trail has gotten even bumpier even with all the riders, I saw a couple people bite it and heard a guy say he slammed at tree hard, and have seen many people walking out with trashed bikes. Some technical climbs are so eroded that ur pretty much climbing on the side of trees. I know the lack of rain isnt helping but I cant believe it seems like the trail has had a years worth of hard riding in a week. And no its not due to the amount of people, I can already tell and have heard that people would rather go elsewhere now. I wont go on because I dont mind this trail however similar to luton. Im pretty sure that reversing the direction is seriously degrading the trail very quickly since different lines are used and the whole width of the trail is tore up. Sorry to be so negative but maybe you should start thinking outside the box, because clearly what your doing now is not sustainable or safe for rec riders. I have seen many attempts at patching spots but they are quickly tore up. Next time seek more input for design from real riders and not engineers and administrators.
After doing three hard laps my bike and back, and butt couldnt take anymore.
I would not suggest riding here unless you have a full sussy.

Yeah, well , I'll think I'll wait for the opinion of somebody that I know for sure knows what the *beep* they are talking about before I go someplace else with my hardtail.
Like the guys who put their hearts and souls into bringing this trail into fruition from idea to tamping the last bit of earth on that trail tread.

Im not saying you shouldnt try it out. Everyone likes different stuff, my trail of choice is The Ski area though it has some actual climbs and the difficulty level and hills keeps the riffraff away. If you prefer the flatter easier trails as most do then by all means. I love all the obstacles as well. But your only kiddin yourselves, after seeing how far the trail has eroded after only one week ur gonna be eatin your words, literally, just like the guys I talked to today did.
If you think im gonna give them props because they keep building beginner level trails then think again. Next time you build a trail for more advanced level riders and racers I would gladly take time off work to help. Say what you want. :roll:

There is a chapter meeting on Monday ( 9-10-12 ) at 6:00 pm at the Merrell trail head, they are going to talk about other projects that are going on if you would like to give some input.
choppe

Postby cramer » September 7th, 2012, 7:17 am

yamaha13 wrote:GRXC mountainbutter all you do is go on the MMBA forum and complain about all the trails, SGA, Ski Area, Luton and now Merrell. You complain aboug how the fast guys are rerouting the trails, how the inexperienced are terring up tbe trails and how the MMBA members and volunteers ruin the trails. NOW your complaining about how they were built and by who. You Mr. WHINY BUTT have absolutely no idea what your spewing out of your sewer hole. PLEASE do us a favor and stay off the trails and of the forum enough complaining is Enough!

I determined a while back that his incoherent ramblings weren't worth responding to for the same reasons you mentioned.

"This trail is too easy!"
"This trail is too hard and people are getting hurt and breaking their bikes!"

??????
cramer

Postby meangreen » September 7th, 2012, 12:40 pm

Erosion has been a problem for most of the trails in the area due to lack of rain... this year at Lumberjack, Big M was in the worst shape I've seen by the second lap. Nothing holds up well in dry conditions - perhaps we should just stop building trails, sell our mountain bikes and take up cycling on safe and sustainable paved "bike" paths.

At any rate, I thoroughly enjoyed riding the trail last night. The combination of banked downhills, ladders, rock piles and bridges makes this trail unique to West MI for sure.
meangreen

Postby the Putti » September 7th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Thank you everyone who contributed to building this trail. I had a blast riding it. Rode the red direction and I am looking forward to riding it in the yellow direction.

And I apologize to G.R.XC-MTNBKR for being an incomponent rider!
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

2009 Niner EMD
2013 Cannondale CAADX
2013 Redline Monocog
2015 Rocky Mountain Blizzard
2015 Cannondale Synapse
the Putti

Postby TenSpeed » September 9th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Rode this for the first time today. Dry, but still an absolute blast. Today was a red day, and I am honestly looking forward to a yellow day. I didn't try too many of the stunts, as I am still recovering from a bad crash at Lakeshore.

Huge thanks to all of the hours put into this trail.
TenSpeed

Postby RickPlite » September 10th, 2012, 10:10 am

Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby yamaha13 » September 10th, 2012, 11:13 am

MMBA chapter meeting tonight at Merrell. Good chance to get involved, meet great people, express any ideas or concerns that you mat have! (hint hint) 6 PM
yamaha13

Postby AJG » September 10th, 2012, 1:59 pm

yamaha13 wrote:MMBA chapter meeting tonight at Merrell. Good chance to get involved, meet great people, express any ideas or concerns that you mat have! (hint hint) 6 PM

Please take notes and let us know what G.R.XC has to say. For entertainment value of course.
AJG

Postby yamaha13 » September 11th, 2012, 12:16 pm

Great meeting last night, nothing but good vibes and good Founders beer. I was looking forward to listening to all these trail concerns but apparently GRXC didn't see any of the postings and missed another chance to voice his or her concerns with the people who build and maintain the trails.
yamaha13

Postby kyle_vk » September 11th, 2012, 12:21 pm

TenSpeed wrote:Rode this for the first time today. Dry, but still an absolute blast. Today was a red day, and I am honestly looking forward to a yellow day. I didn't try too many of the stunts, as I am still recovering from a bad crash at Lakeshore.

Huge thanks to all of the hours put into this trail.

Agreed, I hope all the people that put so much time and effort into this can be encouraged by the many of us who love this trail. Wear and tear is the nature of the beast and I think the trail coordinators have done much to educate all the riders on responsible riding (both safety and trail integrity). I know that I've hiked a couple spots that I either knew i wasn't going to make or just wanted to check out the first time around. I love this trail and I think its great that I can go ride it with my buddies as fast as possible hitting all the features or just go for a casual ride with my fiance without having to walk everything. Keep it up and do a rain dance! and for pete's sake someone please get a video of someone conquering nessy (or failing gloriously)!!

edited because I must have cheated to pass english :mrgreen:
Last edited by kyle_vk on September 11th, 2012, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On One 456 Evo II
Norco Sasquatch
kyle_vk

Postby rvd » September 11th, 2012, 12:53 pm

kyle_vk wrote:someone please get a video of someone concurring nessy (or failing gloriously)!!

I conquer with this :wink:.
rvd

Postby cramer » September 11th, 2012, 1:46 pm

If you ride that nesse thing on a Red day (not sure if it changes direction there on other days) you get to a point near the end where you can bail off to the left without too much trouble. It's just the very end where it forks that is difficult.
cramer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions